Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

Dang! Duke added another top 20 recruit (#17 Jake Wilson) to their 2021 class.

My question is how to they wack up the scholarship money? Are all these kids taking reduced packages to play there?

Duke has an acceptance rate of 7%. All these top twenty five laxers must be exceptionally bright

I could be wrong but I think its highly unlikely all these guys make it to Duke. For one, once the initial thrill wears off and these kids actually look at Duke's roster, their going to get a cold awakening on what there looking at PT wise. Secondly in the same breath while money may not be a huge issue for most of them ( I assume) once they realize there's only so much to go around you will start to see some decommits, its inevitable.

All these kids have to get to receive $ outside of the 12.6 is 1275 SAT, 3.5 GPA or 28 ACT. These levels are based on NCAA rules and have no bearing on the schools academic prowess.

Get to those levels and they become a non-counter which means they can get aid outside of the 12.6 scholarships. They then can throw a little scholarship money at them to make it financially viable.

at least that's my understanding.

Jeremy is spot on though - not a ton of PT to go around.

All these kids have to get to receive $ outside of the 12.6 is 1275 SAT, 3.5 GPA or 28 ACT. These levels are based on NCAA rules and have no bearing on the schools academic prowess.

Get to those levels and they become a non-counter which means they can get aid outside of the 12.6 scholarships. They then can throw a little scholarship money at them to make it financially viable.

Duke's tuition is around $ 78K. They work like the Ivy's with their their needs based help based on Mom/Dad's income. I'm sure some of these kids will qualify for some help. However, I believe PT is going to be issue and will cause some to either de-commit before Duke or enter the Transfer Portal after their freshman year.

Duke's tuition is around $ 78K. They work like the Ivy's with their their needs based help based on Mom/Dad's income. I'm sure some of these kids will qualify for some help. However, I believe PT is going to be issue and will cause some to either de-commit before Duke or enter the Transfer Portal after their freshman year.
They have to be taking reduced packages unless the parents total income/assets allows them to receive some "needs based" money.

It has been rumored that O'Neil got a full ride so really only 11.6 for the rest of the team. Yet at the same time it is the opportunity to attend Duke which is a top notch school. For whatever reason I can only think of one kid in recent memory to ever decommit from Duke (George Loring 2016 plays at Harvard). I believe this kid is the 2nd Team 91 2021 to commit to Duke, it looks like they have been averaging 3 kids to Duke a year the past 4 classes.

Top Gun Fighting Clams just posted on the their Instagram story the programs that reached out to their players today. Syracuse was listed as one of the teams to reach out. They have one player listed in the top 100 by inside lacrosse, Jimmy Freehill. Gregg Dennison and Jimmy Freehill were both listed in the 50-100 range by NLF. Both are solid long poles. My guess would be that Syracuse reached out to one if not both of those two. It doesn’t mean any yet, but it’s good to hear that the staff is actively recruiting.

Based on a facebook post by the Fighting Clams, 2021 Jimmy Freehill committed to Denver over the weekend after visiting Holy Cross, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Virginia, and Dartmouth among others. I think he would have been a stud at Cuse, but Cuse already seemed loaded with poles.

Gregg Dennison committed to Providence awhile back, no indication whether or not Syracuse showed any interest.

It has been rumored that O'Neil got a full ride so really only 11.6 for the rest of the team. Yet at the same time it is the opportunity to attend Duke which is a top notch school. For whatever reason I can only think of one kid in recent memory to ever decommit from Duke (George Loring 2016 plays at Harvard). I believe this kid is the 2nd Team 91 2021 to commit to Duke, it looks like they have been averaging 3 kids to Duke a year the past 4 classes.
and Christian Mule (going to Lehigh now).

and Christian Mule (going to Lehigh now).
Mule is the frosh attackman that scored three goals in the first five minutes in the recent Lehigh-Cuse scrimmage. Glad he decommitted from Duke

I would disagree a bit with the notion that there won't be enough playing time for these Duke recruits, or that some will break their commitment. Looking at the recruiting database, Duke seems to take a much different attitude to recruiting than Syracuse. Their classes are pretty small but almost all the recruits are highly ranked. The 2019 class only had 9 kids and 2020 has a grand total of 7. That is tiny compared to SU's 14 and 15 person sized class.

Now, it seems Duke can afford to be picky, but I think they plan on having small classes and assume that these kids will play big minutes for them. It is a bit risky, if someone doesn't develop the way you were hoping, you don't really have a backup. I think recently that has happened as their midfield has been pretty shallow these last couple of years, and last year their attack didn't have a creator.

I don't think SU can recruit the way Duke does right now, but also important to note that Duke doesn't give itself much room to swing and miss - SU has been really good about finding a Buttermore, or a Salcido or a Lipka. Guys who have flown under the radar. SU is okay with a bunch of guys coming in and seeing who emerges. I think if you end up Duke the thinking is you are going to play because they brought you in specifically to play for them.

So Syracuse will probably get more kids who flip because maybe they don't want to compete with a bunch of other guys on a big roster. I think Duke's system has been working out better for them than Syracuse's, but again, I don't think SU can recruit the way Duke does right now.

I would disagree a bit with the notion that there won't be enough playing time for these Duke recruits, or that some will break their commitment. Looking at the recruiting database, Duke seems to take a much different attitude to recruiting than Syracuse. Their classes are pretty small but almost all the recruits are highly ranked. The 2019 class only had 9 kids and 2020 has a grand total of 7. That is tiny compared to SU's 14 and 15 person sized class.

Now, it seems Duke can afford to be picky, but I think they plan on having small classes and assume that these kids will play big minutes for them. It is a bit risky, if someone doesn't develop the way you were hoping, you don't really have a backup. I think recently that has happened as their midfield has been pretty shallow these last couple of years, and last year their attack didn't have a creator.

I don't think SU can recruit the way Duke does right now, but also important to note that Duke doesn't give itself much room to swing and miss - SU has been really good about finding a Buttermore, or a Salcido or a Lipka. Guys who have flown under the radar. SU is okay with a bunch of guys coming in and seeing who emerges. I think if you end up Duke the thinking is you are going to play because they brought you in specifically to play for them.

So Syracuse will probably get more kids who flip because maybe they don't want to compete with a bunch of other guys on a big roster. I think Duke's system has been working out better for them than Syracuse's, but again, I don't think SU can recruit the way Duke does right now.

It has long been noted that Duke tends to recruit kids and has a plan for them to play in certain spots where as Syracuse tends to recruit good players, but doesn't necessarily have a plan for where to play them. This is why Duke can have smaller classes and Syracuse kind of stock piles talent. Duke may have been guilty of over recruiting lefties (O'Neil, Drake, Williams) and is why Mule opted to decommit at the last minute, although it was rumored that he was going to PG and I believe that was also kind of a last minute type deal so that might have also played into why he chose Lehigh.

5 5-star defensemen in Duke's classes from 2019-2021, but not a lot of 5-star attackmen just #3 D.Williams (2019) and #1 O'Neil in (2020). No top feeder type. 1 top FOman, Naso in 2020. Not much in the way of goalies. This team could have its chinks.
I would be much more worried about them if they had 5 5-star attackmen over the period, that is, a few more to go with Williams and O'Neil.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 3.47.58 PM.png

Is this section new on Inside Lacrosse or am I just now noticing it? :p Says we have 2 interested players for the 2021 class.

1) Alex Marinier who is considering Vermont 40%, Cornell 35%, Syracuse 30%, Ohio State 25%, Maryland 20% and also considering Towson, John's Hopkins, UMass, Penn State and Virginia.

2) Myles Lobato who is considering Syracuse, Bucknell, Georgetown, Villanova and High Point all equally at 30%.

5 5-star defensemen in Duke's classes from 2019-2021, but not a lot of 5-star attackmen just #3 D.Williams (2019) and #1 O'Neil in (2020). No top feeder type. 1 top FOman, Naso in 2020. Not much in the way of goalies. This team could have its chinks.
I would be much more worried about them if they had 5 5-star attackmen over the period, that is, a few more to go with Williams and O'Neil.

Hey are you familiar with our newest commit from Maryland? Would love to hear your thoughts.

View attachment 172740

Is this section new on Inside Lacrosse or am I just now noticing it? :p Says we have 2 interested players for the 2021 class.

1) Alex Marinier who is considering Vermont 40%, Cornell 35%, Syracuse 30%, Ohio State 25%, Maryland 20% and also considering Towson, John's Hopkins, UMass, Penn State and Virginia.

2) Myles Lobato who is considering Syracuse, Bucknell, Georgetown, Villanova and High Point all equally at 30%.
So, the math doesn't have to add up to 100?

View attachment 172740

the math makes no sense.

the math makes no sense.
Yeah, I said I noticed that the percentages didn't add up. I have no idea if they are percentages or what they are basing it off of but on IL there are numbers for each school.

View attachment 172740

I appreciate what Inside Lacrosse is trying to do with lacrosse recruiting as it will make it much easier for fans to understand and see the recruiting, much like we can do for football or basketball. But as with anything new, there will be a few issues with it.

The numbers could be out of 100 for each team. So maybe if you've just become interested you put something like 20, and raise it as you become more sure of a commitment? So if you're close to committing that number goes up towards 80 or 90? Just a possible guess.

Another thing I wonder is who is putting that in. Is it the kids doing it themselves? Because if it is, what is stopping a kid from saying they are interested in Syracuse, Duke, Yale, etc even if they can't pass and catch and will never hear from those coaching staffs? It's another cool feature, but unless we know how it actually works, I'm not sure how much we can trust it.

I appreciate what Inside Lacrosse is trying to do with lacrosse recruiting as it will make it much easier for fans to understand and see the recruiting, much like we can do for football or basketball. But as with anything new, there will be a few issues with it.

The numbers could be out of 100 for each team. So maybe if you've just become interested you put something like 20, and raise it as you become more sure of a commitment? So if you're close to committing that number goes up towards 80 or 90? Just a possible guess.

Another thing I wonder is who is putting that in. Is it the kids doing it themselves? Because if it is, what is stopping a kid from saying they are interested in Syracuse, Duke, Yale, etc even if they can't pass and catch and will never hear from those coaching staffs? It's another cool feature, but unless we know how it actually works, I'm not sure how much we can trust it.

I noticed this feature a while back and it means absolutely nothing. It's imputed by the player themselves and the school lists are just schools that the kids would like to play at. The schools listed do not mean the kid has an offer from those schools.

I noticed this feature a while back and it means absolutely nothing. It's imputed by the player themselves and the school lists are just schools that the kids would like to play at. The schools listed do not mean the kid has an offer from those schools.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I did some investigating and found a kid (I'd post it but don't want to expose the kid) that listed UNC, Notre Dame, Duke, Harvard, Yale, Alabama, Baylor, Clemson, Georgia, and Florida State as schools he was interested in. So I figured that it has nothing to do with mutual interest and only whatever the athlete inputs.