Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

Who?

Hay is the only real local guy unless he's talking about someone from this current 2018 class. I have never seen anything like this at SU, something is seriously wrong.

Hay is the only real local guy unless he's talking about someone from this current 2018 class. I have never seen anything like this at SU, something is seriously wrong.
Max Rosa (West Genny) is local

Hearing that we may be losing another local guy
if its hay, that would be the biggest stab in the back considering the former/current players on the team have been helping his family reach their goal on gofundme for his dad's accident by posting on their social medias and raising awareness to the Syracuse lax community.

if its hay, that would be the biggest stab in the back considering the former/current players on the team have been helping his family reach their goal on gofundme for his dad's accident by posting on their social medias and raising awareness to the Syracuse lax community.
Don't want to get too much into it but I highly doubt a single person would regret donating &/or raising awareness if he flipped. The Lax community is a pretty tight-knit group nationwide. Some things are bigger than the sport, this is certainly one of them.

I’m purely speculating, but let’s say the father’s accident means loss of income/income diverted to healthcare expenses. SU is expensive private institution vs. cheaper, in-state SUNY Albany, where brother is a freshman. Puts things in perspective.

Wouldn’t it be better not to speculate on these things or throw things out there that aren’t confirmed? Everyone is already freaking out. We may be doing more harm than good if kids are reading this stuff.

No-uncommitted kid who is local

So a kid that is currently uncommitted and we may lose him to another school, and the fact that he is local and should be orange.

Ok, this isn't the end of the world - Syracuse has two goalies entering next year (so long as they've singed their NLI), plus two freshmen goalies on the roster right now (McPeak and Shae K). Always a bummer to miss out on local talent, but this position wasn't one of "need".

Ok, this isn't the end of the world - Syracuse has two goalies entering next year (so long as they've singed their NLI), plus two freshmen goalies on the roster right now (McPeak and Shae K). Always a bummer to miss out on local talent, but this position wasn't one of "need".
Agreed- just bummed that we don’t make local guys a bigger priority

SEVEN. We will have 7 competent goalies on roster next year . In 2020, Porter and Klan will be srs, Strang a jr, Katchurian and McPeak sophs, Thompson and Ulmer frosh. Glad Syracuse has extended its reach into other states

SEVEN. We will have 7 competent goalies on roster next year . In 2020, Porter and Klan will be srs, Strang a jr, Katchurian and McPeak sophs, Thompson and Ulmer frosh. Glad Syracuse has extended its reach into other states
Let's hope that massive number doesn't dissuade Staudt from committing.

Let's hope that massive number doesn't dissuade Staudt from committing.
Really, is Staudt John Galloway 2.0 or do we just want him because he's from West Genny and he's been the starter since 9th grade?

I like the way and the amount that the coaches are using freshmen in games the two-three years. I think it's definitely related to the lack of talent in the HS grad classes of 2013 (Jordan Evans' class) and 2014 (Pat Carlin's class). If you look at the current sophomore and junior classes, those guys have played a lot. There aren't many guys who haven't played. Is SU getting better at identifying players who can play for them or is it just the lack of upper class talent?

PF, regarding your post, I also think Shaffer Woody is supposed to be pretty good.

I think the answer to your question is a mixture of both SU getting better at identifying talent, and the older players not being quite up to snuff. Though if I am being honest I think it says more about the upper class men than the under. If Syracuse had a typical "Syracuse" roster, I don't know if any of last years frosh would have "forced" their way into meaningful minutes (maybe Kennedy). That's not the end of the world - they got valuable experience and down the road I am very encouraged. But I also get the sense that the upperclassmen didn't put up much of a fight for playing time.

The current redshirt senior class was ranked really low for SU (I think 17th). I think some of it has to do with the class before them ranked very highly (though not performing up to those standards), so maybe that dissuaded top ranked kids from following it. Carlin and Fusco are the only players who really contribute and neither are starting (the whole class was redshirted, keep in mind). The current senior class was more highly rated and had some Under Armor All-Americans but the results have been mixed. Bomberry and Solomon have been, for me, the solid but not spectacular and Romano has already left. Mellen has been a standout, but maybe the only one to live up to the UAA honor.

The guys they've given lots of playing time to have looked really good, but I don't think they put up the kind of numbers that typical SU starters should be putting up. They were given lots of playing time but I don't think they ranked very highly in IL's Freshmen rankings. I don't have the end of year rankings but Brett Kennedy was the only one to make the midseason list. College Crosse did a end of year ranking and only Kennedy and Dordevic made honorable mention. So yes, I think we should be encouraged in regards to youth but I also think the current sophomores need to really step up and put up much better numbers than they did last year.

College Crosse’s 2018 All-Freshmen selections

I think the answer to your question is a mixture of both SU getting better at identifying talent, and the older players not being quite up to snuff. Though if I am being honest I think it says more about the upper class men than the under. If Syracuse had a typical "Syracuse" roster, I don't know if any of last years frosh would have "forced" their way into meaningful minutes (maybe Kennedy). That's not the end of the world - they got valuable experience and down the road I am very encouraged. But I also get the sense that the upperclassmen didn't put up much of a fight for playing time.

The current redshirt senior class was ranked really low for SU (I think 17th). I think some of it has to do with the class before them ranked very highly (though not performing up to those standards), so maybe that dissuaded top ranked kids from following it. Carlin and Fusco are the only players who really contribute and neither are starting (the whole class was redshirted, keep in mind). The current senior class was more highly rated and had some Under Armor All-Americans but the results have been mixed. Bomberry and Solomon have been, for me, the solid but not spectacular and Romano has already left. Mellen has been a standout, but maybe the only one to live up to the UAA honor.

The guys they've given lots of playing time to have looked really good, but I don't think they put up the kind of numbers that typical SU starters should be putting up. They were given lots of playing time but I don't think they ranked very highly in IL's Freshmen rankings. I don't have the end of year rankings but Brett Kennedy was the only one to make the midseason list. College Crosse did a end of year ranking and only Kennedy and Dordevic made honorable mention. So yes, I think we should be encouraged in regards to youth but I also think the current sophomores need to really step up and put up much better numbers than they did last year.

College Crosse’s 2018 All-Freshmen selections

Talking about College Crosse, they recently tweeted their ballot for preseason All Americans. One ballot, sound reasoning but thought Refhuss was worth noting with his ascension last year, maybe listed somewhere on final IL list.

Chris’ 2019 Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-American ballot

Unusual year indeed with so many youngsters seeing p/t for reasons aforementioned. Do believe that our freshman mids in 18 , specifically Dordevic, Curry, Lipka will step up . Gotta remember when Trimboli was a frosh he was paired on first line with senior AA Mariano and Salcido. This past season Trimboli , only a soph iwas suddenly the vet leading three frosh on first line. Natural to see a young group have growing pains but they all flashed talents. Going be more cohesive and productive after year of experience playing together . Fellow 18's Quinn, Seebold and Buttermore could step up as well. Kennedy's play after missing two of the last three seasons with knee injuries was inspiring and his impact can be even greater, believe Fernandez can follow suit this year. Dami had to learn a new position and could become a good ssdm just as Dearth has.

IMO with offensive recruiting wayyy down right now Syracuse has to grab a talented attack transfer in the next two years. Our midfield should be able to last till the 2021 class but our attack will need new starters the next two years. My current plan is to try not care about the recruiting issues from this point till 2020 since we should be okay till then!

Projected top 5-6 attackmen by year with lefties noted by (L)

2019 Rehfuss(L), Solomon, Voigt(L), Cook, Seebold
2020 Rehfuss(L), Cook, Seebold, Berkman, Donnelly, Swensen(L)
2021 Cook, Seebold, Berkman, Donnelly, Swensen(L), Hay(L)
2022 Cook, Berkman, Donnelly, Swensen(L), Hay(L)

I think we need to see how Cook, Berkman, Donnelly, Seebold, etc. do at the college level before freak out too much.