Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

For the 2020 class not really. Caves and a few others are on the radar but I don't think SU is really after any of them to be honest. I believe they like Van Valkenburg but their pretty set at that position. 2021 class Keib and Rosa are ones to keep an eye on along with Stratton. Delano is a good player but I don't beleive he has higher end D1 upside at least not at this point. 2022 is a crapshoot at this point.

The videos are up you'll just need a roster.

Orange Crush Lacrosse - Powered by SportsSignUp Play

Last edited:
Rosa didn't really stand out to me at the OC Showcase. Just one event though. I think some of the standouts were questionable. ;)

The videos are up you'll just need a roster.

Orange Crush Lacrosse - Powered by SportsSignUp Play

Rosa is still pretty raw, I expect he will take another step forward next year and if he does I could see SU offering as I am fairly certain he is on their radar. Not to sure about the rest of the crew. Stratton's brother is one to watch as I am sure Army will be all over him like his brother. Keib and Stratton are potential D1 guys as well. Kind of a crapshoot beyond that.

Last edited:
Camden Hay decommitting is disappointing. The 2020 class is really interesting. There are a lot of highly regarded lefty attackmen. I think 3 of them are still in the USA U-19 tryout process now that they're down to 32 players, Brennan O'Neill (Duke), Brendan Grimes (JHU) and the Kelly from Calvert Hall (UNC). Syracuse had Russell Maher and Hay committed. Swenson and Stirpe in SU's 2019 class are lefty, and while Swensen looks skilled and reasonably athletic, he's not highly rated and I think our excitement about Stirpe tailed off pretty quickly after he committed. SU's 2020 class doesn't have any lefty attackmen now.

This is a big fall for recruiting. Can SU flip any talented 2020's? Will they get commitments from talented 2021's after Sep 1 and keep in touch with those kids for another 2 years before they enroll?

CNY used to be a fertile recruiting ground. It isn't anymore. SU has adjusted and looked more to Rochester, Albany and Binghamton and nationally, but there is no doubt that the decline in CNY HS lacrosse is affecting SU's team.

Camden Hay decommitting is disappointing. The 2020 class is really interesting. There are a lot of highly regarded lefty attackmen. I think 3 of them are still in the USA U-19 tryout process now that they're down to 32 players, Brennan O'Neill (Duke), Brendan Grimes (JHU) and the Kelly from Calvert Hall (UNC). Syracuse had Russell Maher and Hay committed. Swenson and Stirpe in SU's 2019 class are lefty, and while Swensen looks skilled and reasonably athletic, he's not highly rated and I think our excitement about Stirpe tailed off pretty quickly after he committed. SU's 2020 class doesn't have any lefty attackmen now.

This is a big fall for recruiting. Can SU flip any talented 2020's? Will they get commitments from talented 2021's after Sep 1 and keep in touch with those kids for another 2 years before they enroll?

CNY used to be a fertile recruiting ground. It isn't anymore. SU has adjusted and looked more to Rochester, Albany and Binghamton and nationally, but there is no doubt that the decline in CNY HS lacrosse is affecting SU's team.

Good post - I think you are forgetting about Liam Ferris, a 2020 recruit. He isn't listed in the IL Recruiting database for some reason. I think he is left-handed, though he seems to score from all over in his highlight tape. Not sure about the competition, but 91 goals is very impressive.

Obviously if all the commitments had stayed, I would have given the higher ranked kids better odds at starting next year in place of Rhefuss. But Ferris certainly intrigues me. Swensen and Stripe don't strike me as the type that usually see the field for SU, but you really never know. Feels like with a high profile position at attack open, SU would be able to drum up a lot of interest from recruits. We always seem to play the game of trying to predict how a unit will look two or three years down the road, and that never seems to happen. Obviously no one saw Scanlan filling in for Solomon at any point last season.

Good post - I think you are forgetting about Liam Ferris, a 2020 recruit. He isn't listed in the IL Recruiting database for some reason. I think he is left-handed, though he seems to score from all over in his highlight tape. Not sure about the competition, but 91 goals is very impressive.

Obviously if all the commitments had stayed, I would have given the higher ranked kids better odds at starting next year in place of Rhefuss. But Ferris certainly intrigues me. Swensen and Stripe don't strike me as the type that usually see the field for SU, but you really never know. Feels like with a high profile position at attack open, SU would be able to drum up a lot of interest from recruits. We always seem to play the game of trying to predict how a unit will look two or three years down the road, and that never seems to happen. Obviously no one saw Scanlan filling in for Solomon at any point last season.
You're right, I love trying to predict the attack and it's impossible. At one point I remember a prediction from someone else that had a future attack line of Casey Rich, Jack Harmatuk and Cody Jamieson.

You're also right about Ferris. I think is righty, but like you said, very much two-handed. I like Ferris a lot. I think he needs to work on some things, but his trajectory over the last two HS seasons looks really good.

The loss of the attackmen in the 2020 class really stings from Blake to Maher to Hay etc. I don't think SU would have some of the other recruits (Erlbeck/Carino maybe even Ferris) they have now if all of those guys stayed committed but clearly losing 5 or 6 top 60 recruits stings. On the one hand it shows SU clearly can identify talent and that we struck gold in early recruiting but obviously the inability to hold onto those recruits for a variety of reasons was extremely disappointing and a real blow to coaching staff and program.

I do agree that if we can rebound with a strong 2021 class I think that takes a lot of the sting out of the 2020 issue and obviously with the new change in rules players would be able to sign their LOI's by next November so there is no worry about keeping guys committed for 3+ years. SU really needs to strike quickly with a strong 2021 haul as of 9/1, I know Stratton from FM has already committed to Army as the academy schools got a few month jump on everyone else. Hard to do much about 2020 at this point with Hay's late decommit. Personally if I was Dekso and Co I would look offer Dearth's brother and the highest rated offensive attackmen left out there. We could try and flip someone but its a bit late in the game for that. Wood kind of fell into our laps last year, unlikely something like that happens again. That being said we should certainly keep our eyes open for any potential attackmen who become available for any sorts of reasons ie late coaching change, change of heart, late JUCO kid, ivy admission rejection, late transfer, etc etc etc. Rehfuss came to us in the fall of his frosh year of Holy Cross once he wanted to transfer so even something like that should be pursued if it presents itself.

As for the incoming attackmen. I think everyone but maybe Donnelly is a lack to RS. The info I have gotten on Stirpe made it sound like he was a long shot to ever see the field at SU and I don't know much at all about Swensen. Personally like I said I would like to the staff bring in at least 1 if not 2 more offensive players in next years class now that Hay has changed to Albany. Should be a decent amount of scholarship money left to entice someone.

Ferris and Carino are a real nice combo we should have coming in assuming Carino doesn't get a last minute big time D1 football offer. Not sure either of those two end up here without the decommits, so from that standpoint I think the staff did a real nice job getting two really good players to make up for losing some really good players. As you noted SU should be able to drum up a lot of interest with an open attack spot and what should be scholarship money to play with especially with Hay now out of the fold. Not to mention a couple of attack guys who RS last year and a few more coming in this year. You would like to think that between Aburn, Hill, Berkman, Swensen, Stirpe Donnelly, Snyder, Erlbeck Ferris etc someone will break out.

Ferris and Carino are a real nice combo we should have coming in assuming Carino doesn't get a last minute big time D1 football offer. Not sure either of those two end up here without the decommits, so from that standpoint I think the staff did a real nice job getting two really good players to make up for losing some really good players. As you noted SU should be able to drum up a lot of interest with an open attack spot and what should be scholarship money to play with especially with Hay now out of the fold. Not to mention a couple of attack guys who RS last year and a few more coming in this year. You would like to think that between Aburn, Hill, Berkman, Swensen, Stirpe Donnelly, Snyder, Erlbeck Ferris etc someone will break out.
From his videos, Ferris looks like the first natural two side quarterback SU has recruited in a while. Plays equally well from x to left and x to right. Good passer. He's the only attackman I am at all excited about in the next couple of classes. I also worry about the level of his hs competition.

From his videos, Ferris looks like the first natural two side quarterback SU has recruited in a while. Plays equally well from x to left and x to right. Good passer. He's the only attackman I am at all excited about in the next couple of classes. I also worry about the level of his hs competition.

From what I have seen he looks like that big/tall QB type attackmen we have been wanting for a while now. I think he faces some decent competition down there but clearly he will need an adjustment period to D1. I think Erlbeck is an interesting attack option as well. Seems to be a guy who is just scratching the surface though the comp level is definitely a concern.

Was watching the 2021 NYS Regional Championships Suffolk vs Nassau on LSN and Corey Winkoff, the FLG Lacrosse Program director said that Jojo Todaro was committed to Syracuse. Now, that was the only commitment he mentioned the entire game because correct me if im wrong, coaches cant contact recruits until Sept 1st of their junior year? I'm not sure if this was a mishap but Corey is very knowledgeable about players on Long Island so maybe he knows something we don't? Just something to keep an eye on. Very good defender that plays for Carey HS.

Was watching the 2021 NYS Regional Championships Suffolk vs Nassau on LSN and Corey Winkoff, the FLG Lacrosse Program director said that Jojo Todaro was committed to Syracuse. Now, that was the only commitment he mentioned the entire game because correct me if im wrong, coaches cant contact recruits until Sept 1st of their junior year? I'm not sure if this was a mishap but Corey is very knowledgeable about players on Long Island so maybe he knows something we don't? Just something to keep an eye on. Very good defender that plays for Carey HS.

It’s looking like we won’t have a Top 75 recruit in either our ‘19 or ‘20 classes. Rankings aren’t everything, but that’s not good. The 2021 class is enormous for the future of our program & staff. We’ll see if these newfound recruiting efforts pay dividends.

Last edited:
So, in 2020, who is the starting attack for SU? Any lefties? After Rehfuss graduates, the only lefty is Swensen. Do they move someone like Buttermore or Magnan? I'm guessing Magnan has more experience dodging vs. a long stick.

Last edited:
Hopefully there is a few more top 100 guys ready to announce in a few days.

The fact that they haven't announced the new assistant makes me a little nervous in regards to recruiting. September 1st is the day when coaches can make contact. I know they still have Rogers as the main contact, but having another coach to help, or lead this aspect of the program would really help, especially given all the recent recruiting headaches/decommits.

Also don't like reading into things, but the fact that they haven't' announced anyone makes me think the Donahue thing wasn't expected. If that's the case, hope they are doing their due diligence with prospective hires, but this is really bad timing.

The fact that they haven't announced the new assistant makes me a little nervous in regards to recruiting. September 1st is the day when coaches can make contact. I know they still have Rogers as the main contact, but having another coach to help, or lead this aspect of the program would really help, especially given all the recent recruiting headaches/decommits.

Also don't like reading into things, but the fact that they haven't' announced anyone makes me think the Donahue thing wasn't expected. If that's the case, hope they are doing their due diligence with prospective hires, but this is really bad timing.

Most of the offers have already gone out secondhand to club coaches and other people so I wouldn't worry to much. That said I certainly would like to have this resolved sooner rather then later. Desko and Rodgers will really need to grind here in a few days.

Top Gun Fighting Clams just posted on the their Instagram story the programs that reached out to their players today. Syracuse was listed as one of the teams to reach out. They have one player listed in the top 100 by inside lacrosse, Jimmy Freehill. Gregg Dennison and Jimmy Freehill were both listed in the 50-100 range by NLF. Both are solid long poles. My guess would be that Syracuse reached out to one if not both of those two. It doesn’t mean any yet, but it’s good to hear that the staff is actively recruiting.

Not sure if these are final rankings, but the IL Recruiting Database has assigned them. At least this is the first time I've seen them assigned when searching recruits by college.

2019 -
#80 - Michael Page
#79 - JJ Levandowski

2020 -
#84 - Tommy Drago
#81 - Blake Erlbeck

2021 -
#21 - JoJo Todaro

Syracuse-2019 - College Team | Inside Lacrosse

Not sure if these are final rankings, but the IL Recruiting Database has assigned them. At least this is the first time I've seen them assigned when searching recruits by college.

2019 -
#80 - Michael Page
#79 - JJ Levandowski

2020 -
#84 - Tommy Drago
#81 - Blake Erlbeck

2021 -
#21 - JoJo Todaro

Syracuse-2019 - College Team | Inside Lacrosse

Looking at those rankings for the Terps for the 2019 and 2020 rankings, they appear just to be last year's rankings.