Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

17. Syracuse
Top 100: Harrison Thompson, Brandon Aviles, JJ Levandowski

It’s going to be incredibly annoying when Duke wins the national championship in 2023 and 2024.

It’s going to be incredibly annoying when Duke wins the national championship in 2023 and 2024.

Don't be surprised if Duke gets the #1 recruit in the 2021 class as well, middie from St. Anthony's...looks like Duke is getting the St Anthony's band back together!

Presented without comment:

57 of the Inside Lacrosse Top 100 2021 Recruits have committed. That does not count no. 21 Todaro who allegedly committed to Cuse a long time ago but seems less solid now.

Princeton...who lost their offensive and recruiting coordinator very recently... has the No. 20, 27 and 62 ranked recruits.

Other than Todaro...Syracuse has 3 other 2021 recruit verbals from players outside the top 100.

Ty Xanders rankings of recruits are always to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Presented without comment:

57 of the Inside Lacrosse Top 100 2021 Recruits have committed. That does not count no. 21 Todaro who allegedly committed to Cuse a long time ago but seems less solid now.

Princeton...who lost their offensive and recruiting coordinator very recently... has the No. 20, 27 and 62 ranked recruits.

Other than Todaro...Syracuse has 3 other 2021 recruit verbals from players outside the top 100.

Ty Xanders rankings of recruits are always to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Well put Max, I think it's too soon to ring the alarm bells (not that it would do anything), but things are a bit concerning. 'Cuse still has four recruits right now which is a good sign, but schools like Maryland, Hopkins and Ohio State seem to be getting a Xanders' tweet every hour or so.

I think, looking at the Power 100 list, the thing that stands out is there aren't a lot of obvious kids for SU to go after. Kieb was the only CNY player on the list, and he's already gone to Yale. I think they will have to get creative. I'm sure there will be plenty of good players who want to go to SU, but the coaches might have to think outside the box.

I could absolutely be wrong about this, but did kids who decommit last year do so after Xanders released his big board of rankings? Part of me feels like if they didn't end up on that list, other coaches wouldn't have gone after them so hard to get them to flip. I could be overthinking, and I would hope coaches didn't put as much stock in IL recruiting rankings as we do, but I can't help but think some kids saw their stock go up and decided to cash in.

Last edited:
Well put Max, I think it's too soon to ring the alarm bells (not that it would do anything), but things are a bit concerning. 'Cuse still has four recruits right now which is a good sign, but schools like Maryland, Hopkins and Ohio State seem to be getting a Xanders' tweet every hour or so.

I think, looking at the Power 100 list, the thing that stands out is there aren't a lot of obvious kids for SU to go after. Kieb was the only CNY player on the list, and he's already gone to Yale. I think they will have to get creative. I'm sure there will be plenty of good players who want to go to SU, but the coaches might have to think outside the box.

I could absolutely be wrong about this, but did kids who decommit last year do so after Xanders released his big board of rankings? Part of me feels like if they didn't end up on that list, other coaches wouldn't have gone after them so hard to get them to flip. I could be overthinking, and I would hope coaches didn't put as much stock in IL recruiting rankings as we do, but I can't help but think some kids saw their stock go up and decided to cash in.
You might be over thinking it a little bit. While the flips are disconcerting, I felt most of the flips were due to circumstances outside SU's control. Regardless of what people think, Syracuse will always lose out to the Ivy programs and Early Recruiting made this worse. The Ivies couldn't talk to kids until they were juniors, now it's a level playing field. 2 flips went ivy when they found out they would be admitted. the Hay flip is a special case considering his father and family situation. The Michigan kid is rumored to have gotten a sweetheart financial deal--whatever. I think going forward the end of ER will benefit Syracuse considerably as they can focus on the right student athletes for the program and not worry about late offers from the Ivies. Also, I am very excited about the Pat March hire on the recruiting side and believe that will start to produce results. Just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt because they are only worth a penny.

The good work of Ty and IL has helped advance the visibility and growth of the sport so with all due respect to them fock their ratings as gospel says this angry white middle aged relic trying to hold on to old ways..

Alot of good players and athletes that Syracuse uncovers and develops, otherwise they'd be getting blown out by all these 4-5 star laden teams which they dont.

I will say no more on this matter.

Ty Xanders‏ @tyxanders
FollowFollow @tyxanders
More

Four-star Ryan McGorry '21, M, St. Joseph's (N.Y.) / @Sweetlax_Lax has committed to @LoyolaMLAX. A 6-foot-3 downhill dodger with range, McGorry was an All-Star at @ShowtimeLax and played for the Upstate squad at UA:

Not trying to be negative here but how do we lose a kid like this that is in our own backyard to Loyola? Seems like we've lost a number of kids from CNY and upstate to NY to Loyola.

Ty Xanders‏ @tyxanders
FollowFollow @tyxanders
More

Four-star Ryan McGorry '21, M, St. Joseph's (N.Y.) / @Sweetlax_Lax has committed to @LoyolaMLAX. A 6-foot-3 downhill dodger with range, McGorry was an All-Star at @ShowtimeLax and played for the Upstate squad at UA:

Not trying to be negative here but how do we lose a kid like this that is in our own backyard to Loyola? Seems like we've lost a number of kids from CNY and upstate to NY to Loyola.

It's impossible to say with any one recruit, because there could be any number of factors wholly unrelated to lax. The broader point is a good question, however.

Just listened to the pod. Not mentioned in reference to any 2021 5* kids that were discussed. Briefly discussed todaro but not in a real negative way as it relates to cuse. Just noted the club coach (Cuse) vs high school coach (Johnny Hopkins) connections.

Spent quite a bit of time discussing Hiltz. Good stuff there. Referenced what I tend to believe- landing one game changing type talent is worth 3-4 good talents. They really like him. Mentioned Scanlan too.

Last edited:
1571767796336.png

(from the above link)

Last edited:
Would be nice if we could pick up 2-3 kids here before the fall is over. 2021 is off to a slow start and thats being kind. Faith in March but this is less then ideal.

Dang it really blows my mind that these kids are choosing Hopkins at such an alarming rate. Over the past 4 seasons, 3 of them ended with 8-8, 8-7, and 8-7 finishes accompanied by flat out embarrassing first round exits by 7, 13, and 9 goals respectively. No shakeups in coaching staff, boring, overly organized, play oriented offensive sets, and little to no emphasis on transition (besides maybe Joel Tinney taking the wing on faceoffs) or any type of spontaneous improvisation. A former teamate of mine who recently played for Hopkins said he played as much box lacrosse as possible in the offseason due to the boredom of Hopkins' practices/offensive style. They had one of the best looking freshman middies this year and barely ever played the guy on offense (Evan Zinn). Their extremely high rated recruit from last year, DeSimone, who was marketed as a lethal shooter with Ryan Brown like abilities, regressed to 4 goals this past season and looked sluggish and ineffective off the dodge.

Warm weather and academics only explain so much. Seriously just stop going there kids it is a death trap!

As for our situation I feel a little better about it because the 2020 class is shaping up to be one of our best in recent years, but damn if Hopkins is landing this many as of now then what is our excuse?

Dang it really blows my mind that these kids are choosing Hopkins at such an alarming rate. Over the past 4 seasons, 3 of them ended with 8-8, 8-7, and 8-7 finishes accompanied by flat out embarrassing first round exits by 7, 13, and 9 goals respectively. No shakeups in coaching staff, boring, overly organized, play oriented offensive sets, and little to no emphasis on transition (besides maybe Joel Tinney taking the wing on faceoffs) or any type of spontaneous improvisation. A former teamate of mine who recently played for Hopkins said he played as much box lacrosse as possible in the offseason due to the boredom of Hopkins' practices/offensive style. They had one of the best looking freshman middies this year and barely ever played the guy on offense (Evan Zinn). Their extremely high rated recruit from last year, DeSimone, who was marketed as a lethal shooter with Ryan Brown like abilities, regressed to 4 goals this past season and looked sluggish and ineffective off the dodge.

Warm weather and academics only explain so much. Seriously just stop going there kids it is a death trap!

As for our situation I feel a little better about it because the 2020 class is shaping up to be one of our best in recent years, but damn if Hopkins is landing this many as of now then what is our excuse?

The only good news is that I believe this is Petro's contract year and if Hopkins exits early again (which looks highly likely) I am not sure he will back next year and its likely that class blows up to de-commits. Like you I don't get the Hopkins love either the teams have been perennial under achievers and their pretty boring overall. The Soph attackmen is good but beyond that they have struggled to get anything consistent. Cole Williams and DeSimone regressed badly last year.