Recruiting approach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting approach

Dino should have implemented a pre-game haka to go with the Hawaiin shirts!

I like many was all in on Dino wanted to give him a lifetime contract. My one trepidation with him was his obvioue love of the West Coast. I never felt like he was committed long term to SU and felt and heard from people that I trust that he was gone after our miracle season if the cards had fallen just a little bit differently. I'm glad he is gone and glad he set a good foundation and ran a solid program. I'm sure he is happy to be out West so all's well that ends well.
I don't expect to see Fran in a Hawaiian shirt even if he vacations in Hawaii

Why would you argue the #8 recruit from NY is better than the #35 recruit from IL or the #175 recruit from FL?
A couple of reasons. First a kid form NY is going to be overlooked by the recruiting services relative to a kid in Florida and there will be fewer colleges assessing the talent in NYS. With the exception of the top end players, no P4 is coming to NYS to find players. Next, as I said about Texas, kids in NYS are not as focused on football when they are younger and they are not as fully developed. For example, few P4s are going to take a 255 lb OL and try to develop him. NYS has the 16th most active NFL players, 40. Finally, it is more likely a good player from NYS will choose Syracuse over a good player from far away.

I think if it this way.. Had we had McCord vs Shrader last yr. We lose some running for sure.. But the number of pass plays that better throws helps out is probably double. We had guys running open all over in games but no way to get them the ball.

then we compounded the issues with the DBs getting hurt. Having no pass rush, and the oline getting banged up. We helped all those areas and improved the depth at RB and the WR group and got OG back and added some pass rush.

We could play better for sure and lose, but we could play way better in 5 areas. the first 3 games we will know how high the ceiling is.
I, do not agree with this. Especially with the offensive line. I however am certainly hoping it is shored up this year for both run and pass blocking. If so, I believe we can win 8 or more games. I trust for good depth and no major injuries. when Schrader was healthy, especially the first half 2022 season he was actually a really capable passer, last year he was healthy maybe the first 3 games, if that. Injuries play a major role as well as depth, I believe talent first string-wise was actually good, massive injuries occurred to some really good kids. Unfortunately, it does happen. We better protect McCord and be able to run the ball and hopefully stop the run with a degree of depth.

I, do not agree with this. Especially with the offensive line. I however am certainly hoping it is shored up this year for both run and pass blocking. If so, I believe we can win 8 or more games. I trust for good depth and no major injuries. when Schrader was healthy, especially the first half 2022 season he was actually a really capable passer, last year he was healthy maybe the first 3 games, if that. Injuries play a major role as well as depth, I believe talent first string-wise was actually good, massive injuries occurred to some really good kids. Unfortunately, it does happen. We better protect McCord and be able to run the ball and hopefully stop the run with a degree of depth.
You go look at a film and I bet you find 25 throws that we missed because Shrader had throwing issues. The olind cause a ton of issues, but he also did not process hot reads well and missed too many throws that had to be made.

You go look at a film and I bet you find 25 throws that we missed because Shrader had throwing issues. The olind cause a ton of issues, but he also did not process hot reads well and missed too many throws that had to be made.
Shrader never fully recovered from surgery and incurred another injury. He wasn't healthy the entire year and by the third game his throwing was shot.

I think if it this way.. Had we had McCord vs Shrader last yr. We lose some running for sure.. But the number of pass plays that better throws helps out is probably double. We had guys running open all over in games but no way to get them the ball.

then we compounded the issues with the DBs getting hurt. Having no pass rush, and the oline getting banged up. We helped all those areas and improved the depth at RB and the WR group and got OG back and added some pass rush.

We could play better for sure and lose, but we could play way better in 5 areas. the first 3 games we will know how high the ceiling is.
I’m not sure who McCord would have thrown to last year.

Really good post money, per usual.

I think the bolded above is especially relevant and on point given how the 25 class is shaping up. The trend of the class seems to be kids with measurables vs kids with multiple P4 and blue blood offers. This implies a couple of things. One, Fran must believe that his current success rate will be higher focusing on kids with measureables (note: a "trend" does not mean at the exclusion of the multiple P4/BB offers types - we desperately need to add the best players we can realistically recruit). Two, a very strong belief that the staff will be able to coach those measurables into production over time.

I think it would be wise to bump the brakes on expecting 8+ regular season wins. Because, as you said, we will need a few years to see how this works out.
I’ll be curious how his recruiting wins go in 2026 when he has more time. He said he was behind with 25s. He wants to recruit HS more than the portal. He had to use the portal to turn the roster over. He’s banking on developing kids in the NE but he also needs to land some top recruits. I think he can do both especially with the improvements to the strength and conditioning program. It was woefully inadequate with last regime and may have been Babers downfall.

I’ll be curious how his recruiting wins go in 2026 when he has more time. He said he was behind with 25s. He wants to recruit HS more than the portal. He had to use the portal to turn the roster over. He’s banking on developing kids in the NE but he also needs to land some top recruits. I think he can do both especially with the improvements to the strength and conditioning program. It was woefully inadequate with last regime and may have been Babers downfall.
Yup, I agree with all that. I also think the '26 class - and the '25 portal class - will give us a clear indication of the potential of the Fran Brown era recruiting-wise here at SU.

I realize some will think that's ridiculous given that he was named the best recruiter in the country on top of what he was able to accomplish with the portal and the roster in just a few months after being named HC. That run alone far exceeded anything I thought I would ever see again at SU. Fran has energized the program, the fanbase, and the donors - again to a level I wasn't sure was possible, especially without playing a game yet.

I am a believer. But, the harsh reality is Fran now needs to win and carry that momentum into the '26 class. The timing of that momentum and success has never been more important to the program.

Yup, I agree with all that. I also think the '26 class - and the '25 portal class - will give us a clear indication of the potential of the Fran Brown era recruiting-wise here at SU.

I realize some will think that's ridiculous given that he was named the best recruiter in the country on top of what he was able to accomplish with the portal and the roster in just a few months after being named HC. That run alone far exceeded anything I thought I would ever see again at SU. Fran has energized the program, the fanbase, and the donors - again to a level I wasn't sure was possible, especially without playing a game yet.

I am a believer. But, the harsh reality is Fran now needs to win and carry that momentum into the '26 class. The timing of that momentum and success has never been more important to the program.
Look at all the things Fran and his coaches have done in a short time.
Recruiting, Zoom calls with Alumni, and large donors . Meeting with donors, talking to high school coaches instate.
Getting former players involved, getting coaches and players on campus from the Northeast to see how the program is.
Fran and this staff have been planning this for a long time.
This wasn't just a hire of a HC, but a hire of Fran and the team he wanted to work with to build a championship program.

You had to have loved the Wolverine but for whatever reasons it didn't work. Hopefully this staff gets it right

I’m directly challenging points you made.

You said there’s tons of untapped P4 talent in the state. I’d like you to tell us where it is.
The talent is on the high school lacrosse and soccer fields. The number of parents banning their children from playing football around here is a lot worse than you might think.

Yup. The product he shows on the field the year can change the projection for recruiting.

I agree with you 100%. He did miss a lot. Also he started moving out of pocket, he wasnt looking for recievers to throw ball too, he was looking for running lanes. To be honest, he was at his best at end of game situations where he didnt have a choice about throwing ball cause we were gonna lose if he didnt. OG touchdown and Alford td. He didnt think, he just threw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom