Recruiting Philosophy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Philosophy

So obviously we didnt get any blue chip recruits for next year...but people really seem to downplay what kind of kids we have coming into the program. This class coming in looks very promising. Yes, we all want the stud 5 star center that we are missing but I think we will be ok. Our recruiting philosophy is usually the long/athletic "zone fit" kids but this class coming in is a bit different. Every single one of these kids are offensively skilled and we have been lacking that for awhile now. We always seem to recruit great looking athletes that cant throw the ball into the ocean. These kids are all bucket getters and can shoot from extended range. I'll say this, I wish JB grinded harder on the recruting trail. He has definitely slowed down in recent years and in today's recruting world it's a grind. We have to do a better job at showing love to the guys we really want, but I think our assistants have done a great job at picking up the slack. With that said, recruits want to feel the love from the head coach not just the assistants and that's on JB. Sometimes he tries to close and by that time I think its too late and some of these guys have established better relationships with other head coaches even if they have a great relationship with gmac/red/griff. Anyways, just in case some people on here dont realize what we have coming in for next year.

Brycen Goodine: Rhode Island Player of the Year/Nepsac AA Player of the year and First team honors as well as tournament mvp and champions in the AA division.

Quincy Guerrier: #1 rated Canadian prospect and if he was in the US he would be a top 50 ranked kid all day every day on every recruting site. He had a good year in the EYBL his junior year and he absolutely tore up the Adidas Gauntlet series this summer as a senior. Kid is physically a beast and will be college ready from the moment he steps on campus. Known to be a big time offensive player that can really lite it up when he gets going.

JG3: THE ALL TIME NYS SCORING CHAMP and it's not even close. NYS Gatorade Player of the year last year and should be this year. He has numerous other awards/mvps this year at tournaments throughout the country and was a stud football player for 4 years. All around winner with a dog mentality that we are desperately missing on our current roster. This kid will be a leader. If he committed to Duke he would be a 4 star prospect and probably in the MCDAA Game just because of political B.S.

JBA: looks like a solid prospect that's already bigger then every 5 we have on our current team at 6'11 and 230lbs. If we use the high ball screen with JBA like we do with PC at least guys will have to stay with JBA because hes capable of knocking down the long range shot. This is also a kid that our staff was very high on throughout the ENTIRE recruiting process even with his injury over the summer. Hes going to need work but hes better then many on here give him credit for.

Maybe we land Jesse Edward's and he looks pretty promising but there isnt much to go off of with him. We could also look at the grad transfer market when it becomes available but I'm not sure if we go that route considering the recent offer to Edward's.

In closing, the guys we have coming in are no turds...we are still recruiting pretty darn good and I think people are so caught up now a days with rankings and recruiting sites especially with how big social media is now. Lots of politics behind ranking sites. We can do better, but the sky is definitely NOT falling. The past few years have been frustrating for us and I think we are all a bit disappointed with the quality of play we have been watching lately. It's been stagnant for sure but I think we can turn this around. The season isnt over and I'm still along for the ride even if I wanted to smash my TV in half the past few games. We will be ok and we have a great basketball program...the biggest question/worry I have is who will be our next head coach when JB hangs it up. That's what scares me!
Great post and some fine points.

I do agree that on paper this class is a step in the right direction offensively. We should be desperate for bucket getters and shooters. And if JBA actually does have an offfensive game, that’ll be huge.

I just worry that we’ve heard this same song and dance before. Goodine will be converting to PG, JG3 is going to be undersized for this system and is taking an monstrous step up in competition, JBA may be like other bigs of our past that looked good in HS but couldn’t do it offensively at SU. And we’ll still be playing zone which may keep some of these guys off the floor. A lot of question marks and wishful thinking but at least it seems we’ll be adding some offensive skills. Goodine is supposed to be very athletic which is something we desperately need at G, especially with Buddy and JG3. Hope he can play PG.

The other worry is our dreadful offensive system. Help these kids out and run a modern offense that isn’t completely predicated in Iso ball. If I have to watch this team stand around in the half court, barely move, set useless screens and fritter away 20 seconds before doing anything, I’ll scream. There’s no reason to play that way in this league.

K has had 7 players drafted in the first round and a player taken in the top 3 of the draft the last 4 years.
He got the NC in 2015.
Since then
2016- first round exit
2017- Sweet 16
2018- Elite Eight.

Duke has severely underachievered in the tournament the last 3 years because of their defense.
If you gave JB that talent he would have taught them to play the zone and done better.
Duke won it all while using JB’s zone in 2015 because of how bad Okafor was as a defender.

Give JB talent I think with his current zone he would do well.
so you are throwing out a title from four years ago. i can only dream that our program could be held to that standard.

The only way we start over is a new coach and that ain't happening until 22-23. We're going to have to dig in and endure it. And the problem will get worse in the next 3 years. The next guy better be a program rebuilder because that is what we'll need.
I want Chris Beard

Do you want to bet that Guerrier will not be cleared by the NCAA before SU goes on their trip to Italy? I can’t remember what player missed the Canada trip five years ago because he wasn’t cleared.

Do you want to bet that Guerrier will not be cleared by the NCAA before SU goes on their trip to Italy? I can’t remember what player missed the Canada trip five years ago because he wasn’t cleared.
Roberson. Classes started before he was cleared.

So obviously we didnt get any blue chip recruits for next year...but people really seem to downplay what kind of kids we have coming into the program. This class coming in looks very promising. Yes, we all want the stud 5 star center that we are missing but I think we will be ok. Our recruiting philosophy is usually the long/athletic "zone fit" kids but this class coming in is a bit different. Every single one of these kids are offensively skilled and we have been lacking that for awhile now. We always seem to recruit great looking athletes that cant throw the ball into the ocean. These kids are all bucket getters and can shoot from extended range. I'll say this, I wish JB grinded harder on the recruting trail. He has definitely slowed down in recent years and in today's recruting world it's a grind. We have to do a better job at showing love to the guys we really want, but I think our assistants have done a great job at picking up the slack. With that said, recruits want to feel the love from the head coach not just the assistants and that's on JB. Sometimes he tries to close and by that time I think its too late and some of these guys have established better relationships with other head coaches even if they have a great relationship with gmac/red/griff. Anyways, just in case some people on here dont realize what we have coming in for next year.

Brycen Goodine: Rhode Island Player of the Year/Nepsac AA Player of the year and First team honors as well as tournament mvp and champions in the AA division.

Quincy Guerrier: #1 rated Canadian prospect and if he was in the US he would be a top 50 ranked kid all day every day on every recruting site. He had a good year in the EYBL his junior year and he absolutely tore up the Adidas Gauntlet series this summer as a senior. Kid is physically a beast and will be college ready from the moment he steps on campus. Known to be a big time offensive player that can really lite it up when he gets going.

JG3: THE ALL TIME NYS SCORING CHAMP and it's not even close. NYS Gatorade Player of the year last year and should be this year. He has numerous other awards/mvps this year at tournaments throughout the country and was a stud football player for 4 years. All around winner with a dog mentality that we are desperately missing on our current roster. This kid will be a leader. If he committed to Duke he would be a 4 star prospect and probably in the MCDAA Game just because of political B.S.

JBA: looks like a solid prospect that's already bigger then every 5 we have on our current team at 6'11 and 230lbs. If we use the high ball screen with JBA like we do with PC at least guys will have to stay with JBA because hes capable of knocking down the long range shot. This is also a kid that our staff was very high on throughout the ENTIRE recruiting process even with his injury over the summer. Hes going to need work but hes better then many on here give him credit for.

Maybe we land Jesse Edward's and he looks pretty promising but there isnt much to go off of with him. We could also look at the grad transfer market when it becomes available but I'm not sure if we go that route considering the recent offer to Edward's.

In closing, the guys we have coming in are no turds...we are still recruiting pretty darn good and I think people are so caught up now a days with rankings and recruiting sites especially with how big social media is now. Lots of politics behind ranking sites. We can do better, but the sky is definitely NOT falling. The past few years have been frustrating for us and I think we are all a bit disappointed with the quality of play we have been watching lately. It's been stagnant for sure but I think we can turn this around. The season isnt over and I'm still along for the ride even if I wanted to smash my TV in half the past few games. We will be ok and we have a great basketball program...the biggest question/worry I have is who will be our next head coach when JB hangs it up. That's what scares me!
Your descriptions cheer me up but 2 things sort of bother me. Much of what you s as I'd was said before especially about Cary. And much depends how fast these KIDS adapte to college ball. Waters pointed out high scoring hs players don't always translate to scoring college player. But your words brighten a gloomy day. I personally think Hughes can be a significant player. I was encouraged by his inside play during the Wake game. I hope both he and Brissett only walk around campus dribbling a b-ball from the end of the season till practice start in October.

Time to build mind blowing state of the art Student Athlete facilities. This is War! It is a business. Invest in it. Stars want to feel like stars. Can’t continue recruiting only zone type 3 stars. Time for zone to be used in given circumstances not all

Your descriptions cheer me up but 2 things sort of bother me. Much of what you s as I'd was said before especially about Cary. And much depends how fast these KIDS adapte to college ball. Waters pointed out high scoring hs players don't always translate to scoring college player. But your words brighten a gloomy day. I personally think Hughes can be a significant player. I was encouraged by his inside play during the Wake game. I hope both he and Brissett only walk around campus dribbling a b-ball from the end of the season till practice start in October.

Carey had nice tape, and I'm surprised he didn't contribute more this year if we're being honest. That being said, Goodine and Guerrier seem to have more refined game than we've seen of late - more explosive athletes and smoother/more fluid. Although I thought OB would be like that, and maybe he would be if he had even a below average ability to finish near the rim...that kid befuddles the ******** out of me.

If we gave our coaches three months to prep these teams to play a game, I doubt the youngsters win, but they would be WAY more fun to watch as they might be able to put a game together that resembles modern-era basketball... :) I'm leaving off the Centers as JBA doesn't impress me much...

Howard
Battle
Hughes
OB
(Marek on the bench)

vs.

Carey
Buddy
Goodine
Guerrier
(Girard on the bench)

I am convinced if you gave JB the Dike
Roster he would go further than I think it will under K this year.
Give JB talent and he would get that talent to play championship level D.

A full roster of Dikes would probably work better for Q than JB, but at this point it’s worth a try.

It needs to be done at the 1 & 5. If he could get Top 20 guys, we’d be fine because those guys have size, length and talent. Since he can’t, he needs to pick a struggle... and the one he’s picked lately isn’t working. He’s gone with size at the 1 & 5, yet is unable to develop the talent/skill at those positions and it’s killing us on the court.
Top 20 C's are one-and-done. Top 20 PG's aren't far behind. Why? Because those are the most important positions in the NBA, too.

Top 20 C's are one-and-done. Top 20 PG's aren't far behind. Why? Because those are the most important positions in the NBA, too.
Whole heartedly disagree that the most important position in the NBA is the 5... Quick, name the starting center on the Warriors and the Cavs during the finals last year. the most important position in the league is the stretch 4... this is where Giannis, LeBron, KD like to operate. The league more and more is telling the 5 to either shoot a 3, roll the the hoop or just stay out of the way and block shots and get some boards.. Ayton is the closest to a traditional center the league has and he’s not even a primary option on offense.

The problems with our offense all relate roster construction... no post presence, no driving ability, poor passers, inconsistent shooters. Basically the only way we can score is on one on one plays unless someone hits a jumper or Marek can find a pass. It’s baffling to me that we let our roster get to this state.

You didn't really answer the main question, how do you "know " that schools use the negative recruiting that JB's tenure is unknown.

How do you know its not. Circular argument.

How do you know its not. Circular argument.
But you present it as fact and until you get recruiters to admit in public, it's not.

Whole heartedly disagree that the most important position in the NBA is the 5... Quick, name the starting center on the Warriors and the Cavs during the finals last year. the most important position in the league is the stretch 4... this is where Giannis, LeBron, KD like to operate. The league more and more is telling the 5 to either shoot a 3, roll the the hoop or just stay out of the way and block shots and get some boards.. Ayton is the closest to a traditional center the league has and he’s not even a primary option on offense.

The problems with our offense all relate roster construction... no post presence, no driving ability, poor passers, inconsistent shooters. Basically the only way we can score is on one on one plays unless someone hits a jumper or Marek can find a pass. It’s baffling to me that we let our roster get to this state.
Many of today's stretch 4's are centers by another name. Nowitzki, etal. showed how 7-footers can do damage on the perimeter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom