Recruiting Reality | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Reality

I did and I am. Are you???????
11 of our 14 have at least multiple p5 offers, LaBrosse would lively have double digit had we not jumped early in camp. That alone is telling and far superior to MAC calibre. That being said, we’re still out recruited by our peers at the moment. Rutgers and BC are not our peers.

Guess it was a matter of time for the negativity from the main board to permeate over here. Recruiting is fine, no recruit is dropping us on their list because of an away loss to a P5 opponent. Relax, recruiting is fine and we're going to still land a good class.

Mind you I’m a dolphins and syracuse football fan c
Dolphins fan, yikes sorry about the game this weekend
I'm a Ravens fan and still struggling with rooting for Lamar tbh
I think the dead period just happening makes recruiting seem rather slow right now, I think we are right on schedule with recruiting this year.

11 of our 14 have at least multiple p5 offers, LaBrosse would lively have double digit had we not jumped early in camp. That alone is telling and far superior to MAC calibre. That being said, we’re still out recruited by our peers at the moment. Rutgers and BC are not our peers.
Still in pain from the shellacking Saturday so I wont argue. i will agree that we ARE out recruited by our peers. Frankly that has always been the 1 and only problem with Babers. I think in all other areas (scheme, disposition, attitude, vision)he is perfect. Just need to step up recruiting ESPECIALLY on the O-line

Still in pain from the shellacking Saturday so I wont argue. i will agree that we ARE out recruited by our peers. Frankly that has always been the 1 and only problem with Babers. I think in all other areas (scheme, disposition, attitude, vision)he is perfect. Just need to step up recruiting ESPECIALLY on the O-line
Well, unfortunately, unlike our peers our programs not sustained success or annual draft picks in over 20 years (longer than the recruits lifetimes).

Dino’s uphill battle is like hopping up Everest on one leg, the fans coming back and the AD’s support gives him his other leg. Itll take time.

Guess it was a matter of time for the negativity from the main board to permeate over here. Recruiting is fine, no recruit is dropping us on their list because of an away loss to a P5 opponent. Relax, recruiting is fine and we're going to still land a good class.
No... it's just the same old drum beat of one or two posters. I'm happy with our recruiting class so far.

How are BC and rutgers not our peers? lol they are and always will be. if we out recruit them year in and out we will always be a 6-7 win minimum team

How are BC and rutgers not our peers? lol they are and always will be. if we out recruit them year in and out we will always be a 6-7 win minimum team
If we want to be a consistent top 40 team, then yes BC remains a peer. But our peers should really be Pitt, Louisville, Nc State, Virginia, UNC, Gtech and Wake in my opinion.

If we want to be a consistent top 40 team, then yes BC remains a peer. But our peers should really be Pitt, Louisville, Nc State, Virginia, UNC, Gtech and Wake in my opinion.
BC is in that same group. I’m not arguing that we don’t need to do “better” but BC belongs in that group same as us

we have to assume Dino fills first half of class with camp offers and under the radars (not Scott Shafer level under the radars) IMO. He builds his foundation here. Then it appears the last half of this class will be hopefully higher regarded recruits nationally. I guarantee you there are some high end recruits right now that have Dino in theirs ears. We just don’t know it yet. I have found out so much following recruiting that we have 5-10 kids every class that pop out a commit to us that not one person saw coming.

That being said, top 40 class this year Dino please and thanks.

we have to assume Dino fills first half of class with camp offers and under the radars (not Scott Shafer level under the radars) IMO. He builds his foundation here. Then it appears the last half of this class will be hopefully higher regarded recruits nationally. I guarantee you there are some high end recruits right now that have Dino in theirs ears. We just don’t know it yet. I have found out so much following recruiting that we have 5-10 kids every class that pop out a commit to us that not one person saw coming.

That being said, top 40 class this year Dino please and thanks.
If qe get a top 40 class I will happily buy the 1st round. Happily!!!

I would be ecstatic if we got the linemen BC gets every year.

I would be ecstatic if we got the linemen BC gets every year.

Historically, we've never gotten the OL that BC gets every year. Several years ago under Marrone, we even lost a legacy OL recruit to BC [Spinney; not faulting Marrone, just pointing that out].

What we need to do is recruit good system fits, redshirt them, and build depth. Babers has done that with every class since he's been here, which is a good start. Depth is next, which hopefully will stack year over year as we move forward.

But the notion that we are going to start landing blue chip OL like BC, probably not realistic given our history. I'll take Bergeron's, White's, etc. every year and I think we'll all be happy where we are in 2-3 more years.

BTW, we landed a blue chip center prospect two classes ago in Sampson; wish he hadn't screwed up on his recruiting trip -- think of how our OL depth [especially on the interior] would be improved if he hadn't made a dumb decision that caused him to be denied admittance.

Historically, we've never gotten the OL that BC gets every year. Several years ago under Marrone, we even lost a legacy OL recruit to BC [Spinney; not faulting Marrone, just pointing that out].

What we need to do is recruit good system fits, redshirt them, and build depth. Babers has done that with every class since he's been here, which is a good start. Depth is next, which hopefully will stack year over year as we move forward.

But the notion that we are going to start landing blue chip OL like BC, probably not realistic given our history. I'll take Bergeron's, White's, etc. every year and I think we'll all be happy where we are in 2-3 more years.

BTW, we landed a blue chip center prospect two classes ago in Sampson; wish he hadn't screwed up on his recruiting trip -- think of how our OL depth [especially on the interior] would be improved if he hadn't made a dumb decision that caused him to be denied admittance.

Spinney was GRob.

Also feels like when we do land a big recruit they never end up contributing. Seems like its been that way with almost all 4* since the invent of the internet starting with Morant and now throw Qadir. Collier and Lobdell among others gave us nothing, others like Baskin never even made it. Seems like White isn't touching the field until at least year 4 as he appears to be behind the Davis duo on the inside. Think Sales may have been a 4* guy ans ended up with a nice career and Tommy seems to be on his way. Just seems like even when we do luck out and grab a national recruit that more often then not they give us nothing.

Also feels like when we do land a big recruit they never end up contributing. Seems like its been that way with almost all 4* since the invent of the internet starting with Morant and now throw Qadir. Collier and Lobdell among others gave us nothing, others like Baskin never even made it. Seems like White isn't touching the field until at least year 4 as he appears to be behind the Davis duo on the inside. Think Sales may have been a 4* guy ans ended up with a nice career and Tommy seems to be on his way. Just seems like even when we do luck out and grab a national recruit that more often then not they give us nothing.

Interesting point -- and I think it's because a lot of those guys are projection 4-stars, based upon physical attributes more than football complete skill sets. Morant was a specimen, took him awhile to become a good receiver. Lobdell was another guy with a million dollar body, 10 cent skill set who never manifested.

White is similar -- a mammoth stature kid with no technique. Now, based upon reports in practice, I think he'll eventually be good -- but it is going to take him two years to see the field.

Meanwhile, good teams get good prospects who are also closer to being finished products. The difference between us and them, currently.

And as you point out, we've also had our share of guys with talent [i.e., Collier] who ended up not contributing due to off-field considerations.

Historically, we've never gotten the OL that BC gets every year.

No, we don't and never have. And I get that we are a developmental school in a lot of areas, but especially the OLine. I guess I don't understand why we struggle in this area as compared to BC, though. They don't have a geographic advantage...they recruit the same areas we do. They're a northeastern team. They have similar academic requirements. I admittedly know very little about their facilities, and that may have been an issue 10 years ago, but I find it hard to believe they are very much better than us today in that regard. They do put guys in the NFL and I realize that kind of feeds off itself from a recruiting standpoint. I thought maybe when Pugh went in the first round we'd see an uptick in OLine recruiting, but it just hasn't been there.

Our DLine approach is very similar...we're a developmental school. But for whatever reason, we seem to have much more success developing players on that side of the ball. That's been true under both defensive and offensive minded coaches to date.

I am hopeful for improvement over the coming years, and I know OLinemen take time to develop. It's the most difficult position to contribute as an underclassman. It's just frustrating because it's been an issue for so long, masked periodically by dual threat QBs.

I was just going through ESPN’s top 300 football players and a couple of our conference mates are all over the list. Clemson has 16 top 300 players. Miami has 5 and North Carolina has 4. A couple of other teams have one. Needless to say, SU is nowhere to be found. We don‘t seem to be making any inroads with top players. Clemson has several in the top 25. It’s safe to say no one in our division will be beating Clemson in the near future. They just keep reloading with four and five star athletes, while the rest of our division settles with three star players to hopefully develop into ACC players. The ACC is a one team conference with everyone else picking up the scraps. SU looks like it’s recruiting class will once again finish outside the top 50. I’m not sure what the answer is, but we still have a long way to go.

why are you using ESPN's ratings? they are possibly the least accurate of the 3 main sites

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom