Recruiting Reality | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Reality

What does any of that have to do with anything I said?

UNC, of all programs, signed the number 2 recruit in the country. That’s what I said.

For some reason you’re rambling about somebody acting like we get 2 star recruits.

A North Carolina kid committed to the flagship state U shocking.

A North Carolina kid committed to the flagship state U shocking.

UNC football isn’t the flagship of anything. Them getting the number 2 recruit in the country is pretty surprising. That’s probably why it got ESPN headlines. Some of you guys are so defensive, lol.

Noticed last night Georgia was half empty and Wake had about 10 fans. when you watch other games and actually look at the stands it’s crazy how empty they are.

yeah and we can’t even get an orange out right...

sadly I think part of the issue is people use syracuse games as a “status” in the area...

if everyone was into the game like they are at a lot of other schools in the dome we would have one of the greatest atmospheres in college football, if not the greatest

not sure if that’s something that’s ever possible at the dome

Atmosphere for Clemson was top notch in terms of noise and crowd engagement, until it became clear in the 3rd quarter that we weren’t even going to score one TD no matter what(back to back possessions that STARTED in the red zone provided zilch on the score board).

I agree with the way people view the games. Not much that can be done about that other than win.

UNC football isn’t the flagship of anything. Them getting the number 2 recruit in the country is pretty surprising. That’s probably why it got ESPN headlines. Some of you guys are so defensive, lol.

It’s really not surprising. They’ve recruited top 30 classes for years. Have had 38 4-star kids and two 5 star kids since 2014. Mostly North Carolina kids. So no, it’s not surprising, and North Carolina is the flagship state U school whether you accept it or not.

The new kid lives 37 miles away from Chapel Hill.

It’s really not surprising. They’ve recruited top 30 classes for years. Have had 38 4-star kids and two 5 star kids since 2014. Mostly North Carolina kids. So no, it’s not surprising, and North Carolina is the flagship state U school whether you accept it or not.

The new kid lives 37 miles away from Chapel Hill.

They’ve had strong recruiting classes but they don’t typically sign kids like THIS.

UNC is one of 4 P5 programs in the state, plus Clemson isn’t far away.

We’re the only power 5 school in the state. We’re much more of a “flagship” in our state than they are.

Of course it is. But, you have to WIN. Dino proved it last year. SU went 10 - 3 and season ticket sales soared. Keep in mind that in the Northeast, football is entertainment. Watching a lousy team is not entertaining. In the South, they go to games to worship the team because it is religion.

Was at Ole Miss last night. Can confirm this.

Would be nice to see the Dome go to individual seats. Reduce capacity to 44-46k range is more realistic for interest.

As far as recruits. They will never haul in 7-10 four-star guys. The hope is they find the right measureables and have a pipeline that lets these guys develop for 2-3 years before playing. Right now too many guys are playing probably one year too early. Vettorello, D. Davis etc.

Would be nice to see the Dome go to individual seats. Reduce capacity to 44-46k range is more realistic for interest.

As far as recruits. They will never haul in 7-10 four-star guys. The hope is they find the right measureables and have a pipeline that lets these guys develop for 2-3 years before playing. Right now too many guys are playing probably one year too early. Vettorello, D. Davis etc.
It sucks now but it will pay dividends the next 3 years with Vet and others having experience as a rFr

In fairness, the vast majority of those people are screwed. I don't know what kind of "honor code" there is among coaches, but I cant imagine PSU is neg recruited close to hard enough. Same with the southern schools. Full disclosure, I am not African American, but it is weird to me that kids from the North with offers from all over the place, chose to go to school at Clemson - the campus sited on, and is an homage to, the plantation of John C Calhoun, who was an ardent proponent of slavery.

This has to be one of the most insane thought tracks I have ever read. Thats akin to saying a high level recruit should go to Oberland College since it was the first in the US to desegregate. Slavery ended in the south in 1865 ... honestly.

If Dino leaves it will be because he thinks he can’t recruit enough good players to SU. That’s the message he got before he took the job. He has confidence in his abilities, but after a while you realize you can’t recruit good enough payers to win consistently. Northwestern is similar. He’s had good years, but not nearly good enough to compete with the big boys in the Big 10. What he’s done at Northwestern is good enough for their administration and fan base. I’m not sure SU’s fan base will accept 6-7 wins a year with an occasional 8-9 wins.

It's not about UNC. It's about Mack Brown who turned an awful UNC program into a winner once before and then had success at Texas. My guess is they are selling that vision of Mack turning the UNC program around again.

[QUOTE="wfschrec, post: 3148091, Slavery ended in the south in 1865 ... honestly.
[/QUOTE]
Huh.
How about this- you play up our school’s heritage of advancing African American athletes, including the first black qb and first black heisman trophy winner, while subtly noting the other school was founded by a slave holder, on his property where he profited handsomely off the backs of slave labor and one of the institution’s biggest proponents?

For psu you just note the history of harboring and enabling a child rapist and the fact that the administration and boosters don’t really care.

It’s not that hard. But candidly I don’t know how it would play.

[QUOTE="wfschrec, post: 3148091, Slavery ended in the south in 1865 ... honestly.
Huh.
How about this- you play up our school’s heritage of advancing African American athletes, including the first black qb and first black heisman trophy winner, while subtly noting the other school was founded by a slave holder, on his property where he profited handsomely off the backs of slave labor and one of the institution’s biggest proponents?

For psu you just note the history of harboring and enabling a child rapist and the fact that the administration and boosters don’t really care.

[/QUOTE]
Negative recruiting, what you are suggesting, doesn't work with a lot of people. They want to hear what's good about you and not what's wrong with your competition.

Huh.

Negative recruiting, what you are suggesting, doesn't work with a lot of people. They want to hear what's good about you and not what's wrong with your competition.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think your wrong, but at this point, I am not sure it could hurt. These kids are picking schools like PSU over us 95% of the time. I'm not saying your pitch focuses solely on the demerits of the composition (or that you even use it on all competitors), but I don't know how you don't find a way to weave into every conversation with a kid PSU is recruiting some reference to what happened there, no matter how vague or nebulous.

Atmosphere for Clemson was top notch in terms of noise and crowd engagement, until it became clear in the 3rd quarter that we weren’t even going to score one TD no matter what(back to back possessions that STARTED in the red zone provided zilch on the score board).

I agree with the way people view the games. Not much that can be done about that other than win.

atmosphere for Clemson was out of this world. I loved it. I say dream about a day when it’s always like that.

If Dino leaves it will be because he thinks he can’t recruit enough good players to SU. That’s the message he got before he took the job. He has confidence in his abilities, but after a while you realize you can’t recruit good enough payers to win consistently. Northwestern is similar. He’s had good years, but not nearly good enough to compete with the big boys in the Big 10. What he’s done at Northwestern is good enough for their administration and fan base. I’m not sure SU’s fan base will accept 6-7 wins a year with an occasional 8-9 wins.

Well let's see some 6-7 wins season and see how we feel. 4 4 10 3/4 doesn't sound real fun.

No. According to many on this board it will be because of a lack of fan support. Dino wants a full house.

Huh.

[/QUOTE]

Avateus Stone ... that University wasn't always that way. Fact is no school was .. at some point history is moot and playing the slavery/racism card is as bad as it gets. How about that?

No. According to many on this board it will be because of a lack of fan support. Dino wants a full house.

I thought the Pitt crowd was strong for as bad as this team is playing, cant complain about attendance last Friday, imagine if we were 5-1 like many thought we would have

As far as attendance overall its down everywhere, nobody wants to fight crowds, buy $10 beers and sit in traffic. Its a harsh reality but this number will only decrease year after year. Home Theaters and unlimited sports packages for TV give the casual fan all they need. Sports betting is one thing that may spark interest but even those fans don't have to go to the game and probably have multiple bets/teams playing at once.

Syracuse will never have the money needed to be on par with the big programs - and they would be better served spreading the money anyway. My friend's daughter is a top 10 recruit in girl's soccer who committed to a full ride at Duke during her freshman year of HS. Duke told her to take recruiting visits to be sure she wanted to go there when she got to her senior year. She has been to Duke, Clemson, NC, Florida, UCLA and some others. The facilities at these schools are ridiculous - I know a lot of you have seen pictures but when you see the pictures and hear things described by a father who has been there it has become crazy. Put yourself in a 17 or 18 year old's head and it is amazing they all don't commit to the first big program they visit. It is a dollar game Syracuse cannot ever win. And with regard to attendance - watch a "big program" game when they are not playing another top 10 team on national TV. There are plenty of empty seats at a lot of those games and they have fans bases many times Syracuse's.

I don't think your wrong, but at this point, I am not sure it could hurt. These kids are picking schools like PSU over us 95% of the time. I'm not saying your pitch focuses solely on the demerits of the composition (or that you even use it on all competitors), but I don't know how you don't find a way to weave into every conversation with a kid PSU is recruiting some reference to what happened there, no matter how vague or nebulous.
[/QUOTE]
Recruits and coaches do not care about the issues that went on at Penn State anymore. Probably why no one brings up Ben Schwartzwalder not respecting black players when recruiting against Syracuse. None of it is relevant in 2019.

Well, he has to have some responsibility about that. Put out a lousy product, people will stay away. Put an exciting product on the field and people will come. Check the crowd for Clemson.

Recruits and coaches do not care about the issues that went on at Penn State anymore. Probably why no one brings up Ben Schwartzwalder not respecting black players when recruiting against Syracuse. None of it is relevant in 2019.
[/QUOTE]
Very seldom do we recruit players that are involved with Penn State. SU is not a concern to Penn State. We are the least of their worries.

They’ve had strong recruiting classes but they don’t typically sign kids like THIS.

UNC is one of 4 P5 programs in the state, plus Clemson isn’t far away.

We’re the only power 5 school in the state. We’re much more of a “flagship” in our state than they are.
We are not a state school and from an access/enrollment point of view (read: size of local fan base) that matters a lot. Local industry and job opportunity also matters as graduates move away for jobs (its why we "travel" so well). NY has no flagship. If SUNY Albany suddenly decided to field a Div.1 program for football, and the state built them a 60,000 seat stadium, then maybe, but the job thing would still prove a challenge. More my opinion that anything, but it's not without its truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom