Recruiting Review: Syracuse Orange | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Review: Syracuse Orange

"not one of them is expected to make a considerable splash."

Don't really understand the basis for this comment. Is that saying none of the current recruits is going to make an immediate impact? He doesn't even mention Wayne Williams who would probably be the one to make the biggest immediate impact. And I don't think you can really consider next year's class without considering Quinta Funderburk either. He needs to do a little more homework other than looking at a list of star ratings before making statements like that.

Don't really understand the basis for this comment. Is that saying none of the current recruits is going to make an immediate impact? He doesn't even mention Wayne Williams who would probably be the one to make the biggest immediate impact. And I don't think you can really consider next year's class without considering Quinta Funderburk either. He needs to do a little more homework other than looking at a list of star ratings before making statements like that.

Completely agree--I was going to post several of those same points [Williams, etc.].

I threw up in my mouth as I was reading that.

He's freakin basketball wroiter from nowhere. Not worth anyone's time.

Completely agree--I was going to post several of those same points [Williams, etc.].

This is the "bleacher report" media now - everyone can be a journalist, all you need is a lightly educated opinion and even CBS will publish you.

What do you consider a considerable splash?

The article says we have a running back that could be an impact player, two QBs that could compete for playing time, and an all-purpose super versatile FB/TE.

That sounds to me like something worth being excited about, but it also doesn't sound to me like any of those guys are sure fire impact guys from day one. I think that's fair.

What do you consider a considerable splash?

The article says we have a running back that could be an impact player, two QBs that could compete for playing time, and an all-purpose super versatile FB/TE.

That sounds to me like something worth being excited about, but it also doesn't sound to me like any of those guys are sure fire impact guys from day one. I think that's fair.

Wayne Williams. Quinta Funderburk. I define "considerable splash" as players that can step in immediately and be difference makers. And both of them have the potential to do that.

One of of the two happens to be the highest profile football transfer the school has received in over a decade. You don't think a 6'3 200 WR that was offered by every school you can probably name could make a considerable splash on a team losing it's top two WR's after this season?

If it's your job to be educated about what you're commenting on, then get educated about it. I don't think that's much to ask for from a national media outlet.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post or even the author's post - my main point of contention was that he overlooked Williams and most notably Funderburk.

Wayne Williams. Quinta Funderburk. I define "considerable splash" as players that can step in immediately and be difference makers. And both of them have the potential to do that.

One of of the two happens to be the highest profile football transfer the school has received in over a decade. You don't think a 6'3 200 WR that was offered by every school you can probably name could make a considerable splash on a team losing it's top two WR's after this season?

If it's your job to be educated about what you're commenting on, then get educated about it. I don't think that's much to ask for from a national media outlet.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post or even the author's post - my main point of contention was that he overlooked Williams and most notably Funderburk.

Funderburk likely isn't considered a recruit. I'm sure Wes Johnson wasn't either.

Neither of those guys is a highschool player.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Clearly obvious the guy was told to write a review of the orange, knew nothing about us, spent a few minutes working google interwebs and wrote a meaningless hacksplat...

I don't think there is any question most bloggers do a better job... oh wait, they're not paid... I mean "better analysis". Hey, but then again it's CBS, the same network that gives us Charles Barkley for march madness...

Some modicum of effort would have been appreciated...

Neither of those guys is a highschool player.

And here I thought the title of the article was "Recruiting Review". I don't realize it was "Recruiting Review - High School Players".

I guess JUCO's and Transfers just magically appear on campus. They must just drop out of the sky.

My bad.

And here I thought the title of the article was "Recruiting Review". I don't realize it was "Recruiting Review - High School Players".

I guess JUCO's and Transfers just magically appear on campus. They must just drop out of the sky.

My bad.
Now you're just being difficult.

I'm not going to look this up but I'd guess the other reviews just look at highschool players.

It's a pretty lazy and lame article and extremely negative in it's tone.

He says "The latter's success on the recruiting trail has not been quite as great. Only eight players have pledged their loyalty to Marrone and Syracuse, and not one of them is expected to make a considerable splash."

He says the success on the recruiting trail has not been quite as great - yet every player (save Wilson) has major conference offers.

He says "only eight players" as being a negative. Yet no mention that it's a highly selective class because of the low # of available offers.

He says not one is expected to make a considerable splash. This I don't really get. What recruits anywhere are expected to make a considerable splash? Even if we got a kid like Ebenzer, I wouldn't expect him to make a considerable splash for a couple of years. It's an absurd take on a recruiting class. Yet even after saying it he comes back with "he may be able to be an impact player immediately" when talking about Edwards. So which is it? Is not one expected to make a considerable splash or is there maybe one?

I thinks it's lazy and piss poor that he doesn't mention Zach Allen being an Elite 11 camp QB.

Unlike Hunt, neither Allen nor Wilson are running QBs, though Allen does have the potential to get out of the pocket and make things happen with his legs.

lolwut? Allen ran a 4.6 40. At worst.

Zach Allen, a highly rated QB by people in the know. A leader, trying to bring in other recruits with him and enrolling early to get in spring training and that with Ryan's last year. How can he not be considered one of the most valuable of our recruits. What's not to like?

Agree that Funderburk and Williams, in that order, will be impact players. Provo will probably see the field and Edwards will compete. As to QB, I think Broyld will win the job and Allen may be the second best QB recruit. I seem to remember a quote by Wilson that the staff assured him that he was their primary target at QB when they recruited him, elite eleven notwithstanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom