Recruiting Rundown's 2017-18 Rankings | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Rundown's 2017-18 Rankings

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Breaking Down Recruiting Rundown’s Five-Star Prospects In The Class Of 2018

Though there’s considerable depth in this Class of 2018, especially on the offensive end, the 20 players detailed below clearly stand out above the rest. Over a dozen stalwarts not listed were considered for a fifth star, but I felt like it was better to let the year play out as they head to college a year from now. There’s a ton of strength in 21-50, which you’ll be able to check early next week as part of the Recruiting Rundown Top 100.

My observations:

More Top 20 kids from Cali than NY. Nobody from Upstate NY.

Matt Magnan (2) dropped out of his Top 20 from last year.

My observations:

More Top 20 kids from Cali than NY. Nobody from Upstate NY.

Matt Magnan (2) dropped out of his Top 20 from last year.

Seems odd, never heard anything but exceptional talent regarding Magnan. Rabil-like comparisons.

On the other hand, I have read pretty much nothing about his season at Fox Lane. Xanders was BIG on Magnan, so maybe others are surpassing him, or he hasn't improved. He looked a little lumber-y in his sophomore highlight video. He's skilled and has a lightning-quick shot. His highlight video didn't show a lot of passing either.

The entire 2018 class seems like it has a lot of good offensive players. Cook and Fiorini seem like good recruits.

I think Ty does a great job as I can't imagine how difficult it must be creating this type of list. However I'm sure he gave preference to the kids he got to watch first hand this year which might explain some of the movement. If you compare last year's list to this year's Top 20 there are 8 new names in the Top 20 including 1, Jeff Conner, that wasn't even in the Top 100 last year.

I think Ty does a great job as I can't imagine how difficult it must be creating this type of list. However I'm sure he gave preference to the kids he got to watch first hand this year which might explain some of the movement. If you compare last year's list to this year's Top 20 there are 8 new names in the Top 20 including 1, Jeff Conner, that wasn't even in the Top 100 last year.
I think this is a good point. Last year he was ranking kids in this class who had finished their sophomore years. Can you imagine how many sophomores he never even saw play?

Ever notice how little he writes during the actual High School spring season? There is almost no content on the website. Maybe because there are no tournaments to pay his way to come and write about their tournament?

It's a colossal waste of time trying to write up recruiting reviews on individual high school lacrosse games. There are only a couple handful of teams that have multiple D1 players on their roster. He does it right, goes to high end recruiting events and tournaments to see the largest collection of skilled players. Does he miss on some players, absolutely, but I would bet his year over year top 20 players have had impact on D1 level.

The concept remains that SU's recruiting has subsided over the last ten years. Our competition (Maryland, Duke, UNC, UVA, etc) and upstarts like Michigan are beating us on the recruiting trail. Sure there are more options, but Maryland, Denver and Duke are having minimal problems getting to the final four on a regular basis.

It's a colossal waste of time trying to write up recruiting reviews on individual high school lacrosse games. There are only a couple handful of teams that have multiple D1 players on their roster. He does it right, goes to high end recruiting events and tournaments to see the largest collection of skilled players. Does he miss on some players, absolutely, but I would bet his year over year top 20 players have had impact on D1 level.

The concept remains that SU's recruiting has subsided over the last ten years. Our competition (Maryland, Duke, UNC, UVA, etc) and upstarts like Michigan are beating us on the recruiting trail. Sure there are more options, but Maryland, Denver and Duke are having minimal problems getting to the final four on a regular basis.
Xanders lives in Baltimore. There are a handful of teams within a 30 minute drive with close to double digit division 1 commits. If he drives to DC there are another handful of teams. It's about a 2 hour drive to Philly with another handful of teams with LOTS of D1 commits. It's probably less than a 4 hour drive to the greater NYC area that has many handfuls of teams with a ton of D1 commits. What else is he doing that this would be wasting his time?

It's turning into football recruiting where you can nail down the elite players (also aided by who's recruiting them) but there's just too many players to see/rate them all. Honestly, even at the showcases it's nearly impossible. There's 250 kids on 7 different fields. You'd need a talent evaluator on each field and then compare notes. Opinions vary widely. That said however, there's always a couple of kids who just stand out above the rest at these things.

It's turning into football recruiting where you can nail down the elite players (also aided by who's recruiting them) but there's just too many players to see/rate them all. Honestly, even at the showcases it's nearly impossible. There's 250 kids on 7 different fields. You'd need a talent evaluator on each field and then compare notes. Opinions vary widely. That said however, there's always a couple of kids who just stand out above the rest at these things.
Definitely agree. It's obvious when players jump up in the rankings from one year to the next. It's usually not that he improved so much, but that he was seen more.

Breaking Down The Five-Star Prospects In The Class of 2019

A huge talking point this summer has been the perceived notion that this Class of 2019 isn’t anywhere close to as strong in comparison to the previous classes. It’s controversial, but it’s a sentiment that isn’t crazy by any means – it became apparent as the summer went on that there just aren’t as many “can’t miss” prospects, or at least that’s how it appears halfway through their high school careers.

There’s plenty of high-end talent below, but these 16 recruits stand out above the rest as being the best. We’ll be watching as things change going forward, which is why a handful more five-star juniors will be named leading up to the beginning of the season in March. For now, have a look at the Class of 2019’s five-stars and check back next week for our RR’s complete Top 100.

Recruiting Rundown’s Top 100 For The Class of 2018 Seniors

24. Matt Magnan, M, Fox Lane (N.Y.) | Prime Time | Syracuse | No. 2
25. Griffin Cook, A, Jamesville-DeWitt (N.Y.) | Orange Crush | Syracuse | No. 71
53. Peter Fiorini, M, Baldwinsville (N.Y.) | Orange Crush | Syracuse | NR
84. Jacob Walthour, LSM/D, Salisbury (Conn.) | Leading Edge | Syracuse | No. 99

Recruiting Rundown’s Top 100 For The Class of 2018 Seniors

24. Matt Magnan, M, Fox Lane (N.Y.) | Prime Time | Syracuse | No. 2
25. Griffin Cook, A, Jamesville-DeWitt (N.Y.) | Orange Crush | Syracuse | No. 71
53. Peter Fiorini, M, Baldwinsville (N.Y.) | Orange Crush | Syracuse | NR
84. Jacob Walthour, LSM/D, Salisbury (Conn.) | Leading Edge | Syracuse | No. 99

If and that's a big if, Staats stays on course and makes it here next year he is easily a top 3 recruit if not #1. The key is getting him here as I believe Syracuse is the destination if he chooses to attend College. Getting him back to OCC for his second year was huge, now we need step 2 to fall in place.

Oof only 1 of the top 100, yikes.
I think Zawada, Donnelly and Ulmer are being overlooked. That said, our recruiting is definitely at least one step behind the teams we need to compete with for titles (MD, NC, Duke, ND, Denver). This trend has been in play for a while now and it shows on the field. Multiple factors go into this but the result is 1 final four in the last five years.

Last edited:
The rankings will change a LOT between now and when these players matriculate. I agree with townie that Donnelly, Zawada and Ulmer look good. I don't know if they are being overlooked, but they seem like guys who can contribute in college. Landon Clary also looks promising. We'll see about Stirpe, there have been mixed reports on here. Also, Talago looks like a promising fogo. Not sure where Max Rosa fits in.

I think Zawada, Donnelly and Ulmer are being overlooked. That said, our recruiting is definitely at least one step behind the teams we need to compete with for titles (MD, NC, Duke, ND, Denver). This trend has been in play for a while now and it shows on the field. Multiple factors go into this but the result is 1 final four in the last five years.
Thanks Townie. Not asking you to speak out against Desko, but, I know there has been chatter that he and his coaches are NOT the most ambitious recruiters, and let the alums in the field push players to cuse. Heck Liam Banks seems to drive more kids to Cuse, than anyone. Ryan Powell keeps sending over players from his Oregon days. Casey Powell pushed Cole Callinan here last year, although he has disappeared from the roster. We also seem to work the transfer market as well as any school. Don't see that changing anytime soon, unless the school would put pressure on JD. While its been a while in Cuse standards since we won it all, we still have a few ACC titles to look at, and JD still I believe has the highest winning percentage of any active coach. All that said, my question to you is, do you think the alums, whom you know well, are getting restless at all? Does JD got another 10+ years in him? Perfect scenario still to get Galloway back in 7-10 years as the head man?

The rankings will change a LOT between now and when these players matriculate. I agree with townie that Donnelly, Zawada and Ulmer look good. I don't know if they are being overlooked, but they seem like guys who can contribute in college. Landon Clary also looks promising. We'll see about Stirpe, there have been mixed reports on here. Also, Talago looks like a promising fogo. Not sure where Max Rosa fits in.

Rosa is the player I expect to break out next year, heard some very encouraging things this summer. Unfortunately heard the opposite on Stirpe and he needs to really step up his game next year if he is going to make it to SU. Still a young player though and plenty of time to get it back on track.

Recruiting Rundown’s Top 100 For The College Freshmen Class of 2017

Without further ado…

1. Tehoka Nanticoke | A | Albany | IMG Academy (Fla.) + PG
13. Tucker Dordevic | M | Syracuse | Jesuit (Ore.)
27. Owen Seebold | A | Syracuse | Highland Park (Tex.)
32. Brendan Curry | M | Syracuse | Calvert Hall (Md.)
35. Lucas Quinn | M | Syracuse | Niskayuna (N.Y.)
64. Troy Lauder | M | Syracuse | Salisbury (Conn.)
66. Ryan Archer | A | Hobart | Jamesville-DeWitt (N.Y.)
69. Jared Fernandez | LSM | Syracuse | IMG Academy (Fla.)

Recruiting Rundown’s Top 100 For The College Freshmen Class of 2017

Without further ado…

1. Tehoka Nanticoke | A | Albany | IMG Academy (Fla.) + PG
13. Tucker Dordevic | M | Syracuse | Jesuit (Ore.)
27. Owen Seebold | A | Syracuse | Highland Park (Tex.)
32. Brendan Curry | M | Syracuse | Calvert Hall (Md.)
35. Lucas Quinn | M | Syracuse | Niskayuna (N.Y.)
64. Troy Lauder | M | Syracuse | Salisbury (Conn.)
66. Ryan Archer | A | Hobart | Jamesville-DeWitt (N.Y.)
69. Jared Fernandez | LSM | Syracuse | IMG Academy (Fla.)

5 SU guys in the top 70, not bad.