Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC

I think you picked one team that fit your argument. I don’t have the time now but on the old board I ran a crap load of stats on teams at the high end and low end over 5-8 yr period of time (don’t remember the exact time range). Anyway, other then some outliers, teams in the top 10 at least but even top 15 year after year after year, have highly rated classes. If your classes consistently rank at the bottom of your conference, it’s not a good sign.

We had one good season. I don’t think that’s an anomaly but time will tell. But I don’t think we’ll have the seasons everyone wants to have if we are near the bottom in conference recruiting rankings every year over the next 5 years.
Sure. He picked an outlier to prove his point. Because they exist. Jgeorge is posting a similar outlier, that may more accurately reflect us.

Right now? We're still just a little on the outside, knocking at door. 2000? We had the #18 ranked class, higher than Clemson(33). They went one way, we went the other. We CAN support a high quality team. If we do it like Baylor, for now? They'll come.

I'd love some consensus 4 stars. When it comes to 3 stars? I'm certain a good coaching staff- that actually works kids out, and knows their character- is far better than a service that analyzes 2 minutes of highlights..

comparison of Baylor's record to its recruiting rankings. not a perfect match because Baylor hired a high school coach from texas and because it is in a fertile recruiting ground. the record for 2018 and recruiting rankings for class of 2019 are on the same line and so on.

year win/loss recruiting rankings
2018 7-6 35
2017 1-11 29
2016 7-6 40
2015 10-3 40
2014 11-2 36
2013 11-2 25
2012 8- 5 27
2011 10-3 26
2010 7- 6 46
2009 4-8 38
2008* 4-8 53
2007 3-9 58

*art briles first year as coach
Baylor AP rank
2011: 13
2013: 13
2014: 7
2015: 13

How do you figure? Michigan went 5th, 10th, 10th and 11th and then finished 3-8 in ‘08. Landed another top 10 class and went 5-7 the year later. My point is the recruiting has been generally consistent but the records have been all over

Well, the other variable is coaching, of course. You do understand that the recruits that make up a class don't contribute at all to that year's record? There is zero correlation until 2-3 years later, as I said.

Go back and look at 2011. Their recruiting class was the worst they got during that time period and yet they had their best record of 11-2. Those recruits aren't even on the team until the next year. A handful of freshman will contribute, the following year a lot more players from that class will see the field, and in the third year, the linemen should have shown you whether they can contribute.

Recruiting is just one of those things where when it comes to stars, there are valid points and examples however you want to slice and interpret things.

To me it all just comes down to if we're all going to die some day, and the answer is yes. I haven't found any star rating or recruiting class that changes that.

Sure. He picked an outlier to prove his point. Because they exist. Jgeorge is posting a similar outlier, that may more accurately reflect us.

Right now? We're still just a little on the outside, knocking at door. 2000? We had the #18 ranked class, higher than Clemson(33). They went one way, we went the other. We CAN support a high quality team. If we do it like Baylor, for now? They'll come.

I'd love some consensus 4 stars. When it comes to 3 stars? I'm certain a good coaching staff- that actually works kids out, and knows their character- is far better than a service that analyzes 2 minutes of highlights..

Not quite sure why you quoted my post exactly but as Baylor's recruiting classes got better their record from year to year improved and stayed pretty consistent. Art Briles was one factor in that and so was better recruiting classes.

We need both in order to have long-term AND consistent success. As I stated in my post, I trust Baber's recruiting so far but we won't be able to win at the level this board now wants, if we are at the bottom of recruiting in the ACC, year after year. You can't look at just recruiting rankings to determine success but they are a good barometer overall for stability and long-term success.

I don't care about 4 and 5 star recruits. Lot of effort goes in to getting one guy that may or may not have an impact. Spend that energy to pick up 3 - 4 really strong 3 stars instead.

I'm happy with a class of almost all 3 stars, we can win a lot of games. There's a massive difference in 3 star players and that's where I'm confident in DB and the staff.

1) Besides Austin-Cave/TVD there really hasn't been any kid that we thought we'd get that we all of the sudden missed on.

2) We have 10 commits that the staff likes that were Plan A's/Camp Offers, and are in the top schools for a bunch of "higher rated" prospects that we really want

3) Pitt/BC haven't had that much of an edge over us, of the guys they've landed that we wanted, not many were committable.

4) I'm not disappointed in this class, and we can finish strong without flipping a bunch of guys. You're way too pessimistic here and that's coming from a notorious pessimist.
Quite honestly, most of us here don't independently know enough about recruiting to critique SU's status. I believe in Dino so am inclined to enjoy the recruits he attracts and gracefully accept that we'll still lose a lot of recruiting battles. I'm mostly optimistic about the team that we'll see on the field this fall and really look forward to Tommy's era at QB. This year the defense may drive our success as much as the offense.

I'm still hoping we add some depth to several positions and eagerly look for the posts of yourself and some others that know something about recruiting. The internet has made us all smarter but not more knowledgeable. It's hard for the unconnected like myself to parse recruiting data without folks like you. Thanks for being here...

I trust Dino & staffs ability to identify and evaluate talent much more than the rating sites. I’m fine if he’s taking a Boise State approach of offering under the radar 3 star recruits that he believes will turn into solid contributors in his system.

Well, the other variable is coaching, of course. You do understand that the recruits that make up a class don't contribute at all to that year's record? There is zero correlation until 2-3 years later, as I said.

Go back and look at 2011. Their recruiting class was the worst they got during that time period and yet they had their best record of 11-2. Those recruits aren't even on the team until the next year. A handful of freshman will contribute, the following year a lot more players from that class will see the field, and in the third year, the linemen should have shown you whether they can contribute.

Hey Matt -- I'm confused by what you're saying. Is it because I posted the record with the year the class signed? i realize that not many of the frosh would be impacting that record, but you can also see what the three preceding classes were ranked. So taking 2008 as an example, the four classes that made up that team were ranked 5th, 10th, 10th and 11th.

I also think the recruits from the year of the record are in fact on that team b/c they sign in February and play in August/September.

I wasn't trying to make the point that the individual recruiting class in 2008 (for example) was solely responsible for the team's record in 2008 if that's where the confusion is.

I think you picked one team that fit your argument. I don’t have the time now but on the old board I ran a crap load of stats on teams at the high end and low end over 5-8 yr period of time (don’t remember the exact time range). Anyway, other then some outliers, teams in the top 10 at least but even top 15 year after year after year, have highly rated classes. If your classes consistently rank at the bottom of your conference, it’s not a good sign.

We had one good season. I don’t think that’s an anomaly but time will tell. But I don’t think we’ll have the seasons everyone wants to have if we are near the bottom in conference recruiting rankings every year over the next 5 years.

Yeah, I can see this argument and I don't really deny it. If you want to grab alabama or clemson or some others you're going to see good recruiting rankings line up with good records.

But I, perhaps not terribly effectively, was trying to point out that stars don't equate to wins if there are issues and, vice versa, if things are in order you can win games without having big star ratings.

So in one respect Michigan is indeed an outlier. That there are plenty of schools with good recruiting classes according to the services that also win a ton of games. I get that. But my point is those services don't predict when things are going to go south.

Texas is another great example -- I went back and looked at their recruiting classes starting in 2007. They had two *down* years in which they finished 17th and otherwise finished in the top 8 wiht several classes ranked 2 or 3. Yet they haven't lost fewer than four games since 2009 and they have had four 7-loss seasons in that span. Really? With, quite literally, the best or second-best aggregate talent in that span?

Notre Dame is another -- They had a brutal class that ranked 39th in 2005, but they rebounded with 6th best class in 06, the 5th best class in 07, yet those two classes never lost fewer than 5 games.

09, 10 and 11 USC lands top three classes -- the following three years they lose a combined 14 games. Still pretty solid, obviously, but they should have been playing at the level Carroll had them playing -- losing maybe a game or two each season.

Oregon -- class rankings in 13-15: 19, 21, 16. Record in 14-16 when those guys make up the bulk of the roster? 20-18.

It works the other way too:

Washington State -- just finished 11-2 and top 10 in the country. Best class in the past 10 seasons or so? 42. Currently ranked 65th.

What do all those schools have in common? They went through coaching and general program issues in that span (and/or they found a good coach/system and found success).

The bottom line is you need talented kids but you absolutely need to develop them and feed them into a good system. Those latter two functions, to me, are far more important.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’ll have the seasons everyone wants to have if we are near the bottom in conference recruiting rankings every year over the next 5 years.
This is probably the biggest takeaway. We absolutely have to see an uptick in recruiting if we want to enjoy sustained success in the ACC. You can only finish last or next-to-last in the class ratings for so long before regression to the mean becomes inevitable. And honestly if we want Dino to stick around he has to believe that’s attainable at Syracuse or he will take the next offer out of town.

I get it. Im definitely a huge babers fan. Just was more of a suprise when I saw it was such a low ranking. Dino did say to expect more this recruiting class, so my hopes are high
How are our numbers as compared to other teams. I know we have 10 but looks like bc has 16. That will always drop us down also.

1) Besides Austin-Cave/TVD there really hasn't been any kid that we thought we'd get that we all of the sudden missed on.

2) We have 10 commits that the staff likes that were Plan A's/Camp Offers, and are in the top schools for a bunch of "higher rated" prospects that we really want

3) Pitt/BC haven't had that much of an edge over us, of the guys they've landed that we wanted, not many were committable.

4) I'm not disappointed in this class, and we can finish strong without flipping a bunch of guys. You're way too pessimistic here and that's coming from a notorious pessimist.
Ain’t that the truth lol

So if our recruiting has stayed roughly the same as the rankings suggest, how are we winning more games AND looking like a bigger, faster, more athletic team? Thoughts:

1. System is rock solid and has proven itself to work. It fits the dome and gives us an edge over other teams schematically.
2. Dino and co. can coach and put players in said system in a way that works.
3. S&T is fantastic.
4. Transfers fill in at spots where we need ACC level talent and don't get factored into recruiting rankings.
5. Canadians are often under-scouted and lower ranked.
6. This one is huge: They self-scout really well and identify weak spots really well and then they find what they need (see Cisco).
7. They recruit body types and ideal fits for the system and then trust the S&T and coaching to develop them
8. They have job security and trust from the admin - so developing players are given time to develop
9. Camp offers = maximizing their ability to get the best fits, sometimes guys who are hidden gems

EDIT: So, for me - I'd like to see an uptick in recruiting rankings. It would be great to have all of the above going for us and see the number get better. But I've seen enough to know that we can trust the results despite the rankings.

So if our recruiting has stayed roughly the same as the rankings suggest, how are we winning more games AND looking like a bigger, faster, more athletic team? Thoughts:

1. System is rock solid and has proven itself to work. It fits the dome ...
I agree with your points, but with some limits.
We have had one exceptional season under Dino. That moved the needle and gets our fan base excited. So far, though, it is one season and reason to be optimistic.
Our staff can identify talent, but it has typically made 400 offers to prospects in a cycle. The list gets winnowed down and the preponderance of that identified talent does not have SU at the top of their wish list. The talent we get is determined to a large degree by who the staff can persuade to visit. Lots of programs and coaches can identify talent; the trick is selling the program & school & location & opportunity.
We can overstate the importance of “fit the system”. For the most part we want the same prospects (size, quickness, potential) that other programs want. That is why our best recruits tend to have other P5 offers. There are a few positions or examples to the contrary (Riley or other undersized slot receivers; maybe a smallish fast LB) but not many. We want the OL recruits that BC recruits; we would take the DTs, big DEs and LBs that our ACC rivals have landed.
Eventually, we need to match and exceed Pitt and BC in recruiting. Those programs have a recent history of bowl appearances. We need to do that back to back and keep building.

They also take 3 star players who magically become 4-5 stars after they commit.
The elite programs are certainly given the benefit of the doubt when they offer a guy who the bloggers may have overlooked, but isn't there good reason for that?

What's more likely... that Clemson is offering a guy who's not very good, or that some dork working for 247sports.com got it wrong?

Syracuse football recruiting: Where does 2020 class stand after 7-commit week?

I'm not one to get too worked up over recruiting rankings, but at this point we do seem to be lagging. Last in ACC, second last in the Power 5. Whats going on? Seems like this puts pressure on us to have another good season to get recruits latter in the cycle. Anyone have any insight on this?
I just saw this thread title again, and I thought, according to whom?

Fake news. Infowars.com of the college football world.

There's probably a ceiling to how high Syracuse can climb without signing more blue chip players, but they're not at that ceiling yet. There's still room for growth at the current rate, IMO.

When the time comes to take that next step, you'd presumably have enough big wins that the blue chip guys will be more willing to hop on board. Until that time, I think Syracuse should be recruiting guys who (1) fit the system and (2) will buy in to Babers' culture.

The elite programs are certainly given the benefit of the doubt when they offer a guy who the bloggers may have overlooked, but isn't there good reason for that?

What's more likely... that Clemson is offering a guy who's not very good, or that some dork working for 247sports.com got it wrong?
Thats what im trying to say. places like clemson get "the benefit of the doubt" yet many of our players who they gave a low 3 star rating to or dropped due to them signing to us dont get that same benefit.

There's probably a ceiling to how high Syracuse can climb without signing more blue chip players, but they're not at that ceiling yet. There's still room for growth at the current rate, IMO.

When the time comes to take that next step, you'd presumably have enough big wins that the blue chip guys will be more willing to hop on board. Until that time, I think Syracuse should be recruiting guys who (1) fit the system and (2) will buy in to Babers' culture.

Eventually we are going to start getting 4 star players. We're already getting them as transfers, and we snagged a couple at LB in the last cycle. Win 8+ games for the next couple years, and with Dino, we will be bringing in 3 or 4 four-star players per cycle, maybe a couple more. And that is a good enough class for us to remain competitive in the ACC.

I know this is a bit chicken/egg but when the Dome is full and rocking, the higher star recruits will come. Some like shiny things like the uniforms and the like and a full dome will help bring more of the higher targeted players to the Hill.

Let's face it...a lot love the attention a large fanatic fan base brings and SU may never be like that in football. We do our part and fill the Dome Dino and his staff will do the rest.