Recruiting thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Gotta love what is going on with recruiting right now.

However, is it a result of better execution in terms of luck and evaluation or is it the result of better strategic planning.

Getting bazley was huge. The bad news is that we seem to a player that highly rated only once or twice a decade. Is it possible that getting baz could be the start of a better trend?

I love getting relatively early commitments from under the radar types who will be multi year players yet who have solid upsides in hughes, goodine, and buddy.

Staff is doing something right.

My only criticism is putting a lot of eggs in the Carey basket. Yes, I am in the camp of thinking we will get him, but having the backup plan being the head transfer route is dangerous.

However, is it a result of better execution in terms of luck and evaluation or is it the result of better strategic planning.

Getting bazley was huge. The bad news is that we seem to a player that highly rated only once or twice a decade. Is it possible that getting baz could be the start of a better trend?

I love getting relatively early commitments from under the radar types who will be multi year players yet who have solid upsides in hughes, goodine, and buddy.

My only criticism is putting a lot of eggs in the Carey basket. Yes, I am in the camp of thinking we will get him, but having the backup plan being the head transfer route is dangerous.

I think the uptick is mostly about the engagement level of the head coach. Between the summer Olympics and the perceived transition with him ramping down, JB was somewhat disengaged a year ago [my opinion only, which I'll own]. I also think we'd lapsed into some bad habits with putting the eggs in one basket, assuming guys were in the fold when they were still actively shopping for more popular prom dates, etc.

Behind the scenes [again, my opinion only], I believe that Hopkins also stopped working as hard when he realized that JB didn't intend to step down and hand over the keys. So the two principals both not working as hard as they should to be successful on the recruiting trail was a bad thing for our program. Even so, we still rebounded and put together a very solid class of 2017. Losing out on a shooter like Tucker sucked, but to land an international prospect with Dolezaj's skill set was a tremendous bounce-back, and I'm encouraged by Dasher's description of the coaching staff's assessment of Hughes recently.

Boeheim made a good move bringing Griffin on board, and it paid immediate dividends with Bazley, who then blew up into a top 10-caliber recruit. The Hopkins departure also seemed to light a fire in the old man's belly, and he's working twice as hard as before, which is what has to happen to recruit successfully. I do agree with you assessment that landing a recruit like Bazley could have a cascade effect, especially with other recruits like Carey, hopefully. And I love the fact that we landed a guy from the class of 2019 that we are high on -- the start of the second "golden era" of our program was built upon lining up key pieces a year or two in advance and completing recruiting classes early, which in turn enabled the coaching staff to focus on building relationships with prospects a year or two in advance, which then fueled the cycle.

I also agree with your point about going all-in on Carey, but hopefully things work out better this time. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
My take is that our temporary recruiting slump stemmed from the NCAA investigation. That created doubts about JB's tenure, cast a pall over the program for a period of time, reduced our available scholarships and restricted our recruiting efforts. There were other factors as RF notes ... distractions (Olympics), disengagement, NBA defections, and certainly Hopkins decision to move elsewhere was significant. It did remove any doubt about who's team this is; but to me the NCAA investigation was the proximate cause of most of our recruiting problems. There are still going to be disappointments, but we're on a different level now.

Last edited:
I think it is more about the engagement level of the head coach. Between the summer Olympics and the perceived transition with him ramping down, JB was somewhat disengaged a year ago [my opinion only, which I'll own]. I also think we'd lapsed into some bad habits with putting the eggs in one basket, assuming guys were in the fold when they were still actively shopping for more popular prom dates, etc.

Behind the scenes [again, my opinion only], I believe that Hopkins also stopped working as hard when he realized that JB didn't intend to step down and hand over the keys. So the two principals both not working as hard as they should to be successful on the recruiting trail was a bad thing for our program. Even so, we still rebounded and put together a very solid class of 2017. Losing out on a shooter like Tucker sucked, but to land an international prospect with Dolezaj's skill set was a tremendous bounce-back, and I'm encouraged by Dasher's description of the coaching staff's assessment of Hughes recently.

Boeheim made a good move bringing Griffin on board, and it paid immediate dividends with Bazley, who then blew up into a top 10-caliber recruit. The Hopkins departure also seemed to light a fire in the old man's belly, and he's working twice as hard as before, which is what has to happen to recruit successfully. I do agree with you assessment that landing a recruit like Bazley could have a cascade effect, especially with other recruits like Carey, hopefully. And I love the fact that we landed a guy from the class of 2019 that we are high on -- the start of the second "golden era" of our program was built upon lining up key pieces a year or two in advance and completing recruiting classes early, which in turn enabled the coaching staff to focus on building relationships with prospects a year or two in advance, which then fueled the cycle.

I also agree with your point about going all-in on Carey, but hopefully things work out better this time. Fingers crossed.
Great takes. Bottom line is that JAB/Hop working USA Basketball doesn't appear to help Cuse at all in recruiting. Some could say it had a negative effect or neutral at best but as far as we know did anyone sign with Syracuse because JAB worked the Olympics. Factor in all of the sanctions at the same time and the fact that we had a few top players royally screw us so it was no surprise that the program had a downturn.

Fast forward to March 14, 2017 when Hop leaves Syracuse. People had extremely mixed emotions but a lot has happened in these six months that allay the fans concerns over the future of the program. If JAB will be here for five more years, I think there is no questions that he will be battling for recruits until the very last day (or until the next succession plan is announced).

Last edited:

Lecque, if no Carey.

Great takes. Bottom line is that JAB/Hop working USA Basketball doesn't appear to help Cuse at all in recruiting. Some could say it had a negative effect or neutral at best but as far as we know did anyone sign with Syracuse because JAB worked the Olympics. Factor in all of the sanctions at the same time and the fact that we had a few top players royally screw us so it was no surprise that the program had a downturn.

Fast forward to March 14, 2017 when Hop leaves Syracuse. People had extremely mixed emotions but a lot has happened in these six months that allay the fans concerns over the future of the program. If JAB will be here for five more years, I think there is no questions that he will be battling for recruits until the very last day (or until the next succession plan is announced).
they were with usabasketball in 2008 and 2012 as well & the recruiting was great.
the ncaa sanctions performed exactly as the ncaa intended; why the need to make it more complicated than that?

they were with usabasketball in 2008 and 2012 as well & the recruiting was great.
the ncaa sanctions performed exactly as the ncaa intended; why the need to make it more complicated than that?
Ok, but we also had Rob Murphy (2004-2011) and one could argue that since he left, the program had more misses than while he was here (Patterson, Obokoh, Kaleb Joseph) and guys that didn't exactly pan out (BJ, Frank Howard-tbd, Taurean Thompson). Knowing that the sanctions were in place, maybe they should have stayed home to take care of business.

Hard to believe that’s the only reason. Louisville keeps humming right along sanctions or no sanctions.

Finally, someone with sense. I've only been saying this for the past 3+ years!

Finally, someone with sense. I've only been saying this for the past 3+ years!

yes agreed. Sanctions have impacts. Big time sanctions have big time impacts.

Trust the Process!

What year did the UNC sanctions begin? :bat:
Come on.
homer-popping-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
...they already served their penalties as they are on double secret probation.

Because it absolves the coaching staff of any accountability?

Because it absolves the coaching staff of any accountability?

No. Because it is true. The sanctions limited access to players, and reduced the number of spots open. Or, are you postulating that ncaa sanctions do not, in any way hinder programs in recruiting players? Because I would love to hear more about that theory!

The reality is that accepting that sanctions adversely affected the program, rather than failures of the head coach, who you have a long history of not supporting, does not support your agenda. Your hatred of JB blinds you to facts.

I think the proposed transition, (how duties were assigned, who had final say, etc.) was bungled (in hindsight) and that negatively impacted recruiting as well.

No. Because it is true. The sanctions limited access to players, and reduced the number of spots open. Or, are you postulating that ncaa sanctions do not, in any way hinder programs in recruiting players? Because I would love to hear more about that theory!

The reality is that accepting that sanctions adversely affected the program, rather than failures of the head coach, who you have a long history of not supporting, does not support your agenda. Your hatred of JB blinds you to facts.
Even if you want to blame this completely on sanctions, whose fault is it that we were in that predicament in the first place?

Even if you want to blame this completely on sanctions, whose fault is it that we were in that predicament in the first place?
Let's just leave it as...the sanctions had a negative impact on the program(just like they are designed to do). Did the coaches drop the ball a bit along with that, it seems so, but even if they did go as hard as they could(or were allowed to). There is no way they could have competed against other top schools for recruits. Just like in any business. If I am only allowed to work part-time, there is no way I can compete with someone who is working full time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom