Recruiting tidbit (non-SU) | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting tidbit (non-SU)

florange44

Scout Team
I am familiar with a 5 star DE who is still uncommitted at this point. Nick Saban landed at his school in a helicopter last week. We were playing his team last night in basketball ( he plays both sports). He was not there and when I inquired where he was, the coaches said he was in Paris! He had a "friend" who asked him what he wanted and his desire was a trip to Paris, so he paid for it.

I have no idea if this "friend" is a booster of some school or a local or future agent who expects to gain favor and capitalize later.

I've suspected things like this were happening but this is the first time I've seen it up close (sort of). Sure is a lot of opportunity for cheating in this scenario.

One other point: i suspect basketball recruiting is even worse given that 1 player can make a huge difference and the NBA contracts are larger.

Florange44

I am familiar with a 5 star DE who is still uncommitted at this point. Nick Saban landed at his school in a helicopter last week. We were playing his team last night in basketball ( he plays both sports). He was not there and when I inquired where he was, the coaches said he was in Paris! He had a "friend" who asked him what he wanted and his desire was a trip to Paris, so he paid for it.

I have no idea if this "friend" is a booster of some school or a local or future agent who expects to gain favor and capitalize later.

I've suspected things like this were happening but this is the first time I've seen it up close (sort of). Sure is a lot of opportunity for cheating in this scenario.

One other point: i suspect basketball recruiting is even worse given that 1 player can make a huge difference and the NBA contracts are larger.

Florange44

Hopefully he goes to Paris and realized he doesn't want to waste the next four years of his life in Tuscaloosa.

Someone needs top actually take the offer trip, car etc and then decide to not commit to that place. What is that school going to do rat themselves out?

Honestly I' m impressed - the kid wanted to expand his horizons, sounds like a kid who might want to go to college for reasons other than sports. This is so much better of a recruiting violation than the Louisvillehooker thing. Unless he went to Paris for hookers.

Someone needs top actually take the offer trip, car etc and then decide to not commit to that place. What is that school going to do rat themselves out?
I'm thinking this already happens a lot. After reading the article from the Agent who bore all for the world to read, it sounds like this definitely happens there, so I wouldn't doubt that it's happening with bag handlers and such already.

Florange44

Sounds a little iffy. How many high school kids have a passport? Also, I think most kids would rather go to New Orleans than Paris. I did some research and found a picture of Saban and a 5 * DE standing by a helicopter. Probably the one you're taking about. Maybe Saban was going to fly him to the airport. This story seems to have been said to you in in jest.

Smart move - stash the kid out of the country, and presumably out of reach from your competition during crunch time when the final slots are being filled.

Smart move - stash the kid out of the country, and presumably out of reach from your competition during crunch time when the final slots are being filled.
Lol... Spoken like a real cheater

Florange44

Here is the photo:

U of Alabama Coach Nick Saban visits SRHS Athlete Jarez Parks

Last Updated: 26 January 2017

upload_2017-1-30_22-11-32.png

"I heard you needed a ride to to the airport"

Last edited:
Here is the photo:

U of Alabama Coach Nick Saban visits SRHS Athlete Jarez Parks

Last Updated: 26 January 2017

View attachment 88026

"I heard you needed a ride to to the airport"
I thought because of Schiano the NCAA banned the use of Helicopters on high school campuses and I found this.

The quest to get ahead has led to the creation of new rules to stop specific practices and some suspect interpretation of the rules once they hit the books. For example, Banowsky, the former SWC compliance chief, said the NCAA banned the use of helicopters in recruiting because one SWC school would pickup prospects in a chopper and land them on the 50-yard line as the stadium public-address system blared fictional radio calls of the prospect's future exploits at the school.

Like SU did with Floyd Little, I believe.

I can't wait until we are in a position to not have room for a 4* DE. First world problems...

Wow! Bama can grayshirt a Top 100 player. Wild
Insane. I wish the kid's family had told him to pump the breaks a little and give it a day to think over.

Wow kid would actually accept grayshirting? I mean kid go to where you are actually wanted and are not just a number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom