Red's Postgame Presser | Louisville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red's Postgame Presser | Louisville

This name keeps coming up as though there's some kind of Dalton Knecht tree.
Just an example. There's been plenty of good former mid major players that have been impact guys at power schools this year. Grant Nelson, Max Abmas, Javian McCollum, and Aaron Estrada come off the top of my head.

I think we might be better off going this route than getting a former top 50 major that hasn't played or performed yet(Westry/McLeod/Starling to a lesser extent).

I see fans here consistently bring up guys haven't played that we should go after because they are sitting the bench now like JP Estrella, but the question begs that if they aren't playing much are they even good(or healthy) to begin with.

Just an example. There's been plenty of good former mid major players that have been impact guys at power schools this year. Grant Nelson, Max Abmas, Javian McCollum, and Aaron Estrada come off the top of my head.

I think we might be better off going this route than getting a former top 50 major that hasn't played or performed yet(Westry/McLeod/Starling to a lesser extent).

I see fans here consistently bring up guys haven't played that we should go after because they are sitting the bench now like JP Estrella, but the question begs that if they aren't playing much are they even good(or healthy) to begin with.
These are all fair points.

Look at where all those guys ended up - Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama. Knecht at Tennessee.

So the bigger programs agree with you and I assume that will more popular than ever for the next cycle.

We may need to live with guys like JJ and Estrella because these elite mid major guys are not being ignored by the top programs

Look at where all those guys ended up - Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama. Knecht at Tennessee.

So the bigger programs agree with you and I assume that will more popular than ever for the next cycle.

We may need to live with guys like JJ and Estrella because these elite mid major guys are not being ignored by the top programs
We signed a McDonalds All American, but can’t sign a top transfer? Ok

Penn State stinks, but they got Ace Baldwin and he’s more of a true point guard than anyone we have on our roster.

Red has to be aware of roster management moving forward. You can’t let the portal hurt your chances on the recruiting front . You bring in a freshman or sophomore and it will effect recruiting .

These are all fair points.
It can be a roll of the dice. This season Kansas brought in Nick Timberlake who played five years at Towson and shot 40% from deep each of the last two seasons but is down to 28% this year and not doing anything else to justify his roster spot. And that team is dying to have someone chip in from the bench, so it's not for lack of opportunity.

I'm not saying up-transfers should be off the table for Red, but it helps explain why most high-major coaches would rather take HM transfers than go down a couple levels.

Penn State stinks, but they got Ace Baldwin and he’s more of a true point guard than anyone we have on our roster.
It was Res’s first year. Total unknown as a coach.

Yes, absolutely - is that hard to believe?

I think that was the Mike Rhodes connection more than anything. Hell even Zach Hicks chose PSU over us

Yes, absolutely - is that hard to believe?

I think that was the Mike Rhodes connection more than anything. Hell even Zach Hicks chose PSU over us
Well I guess we will see this offseason, because Red is not messing around.

We didn't go after Hicks that hard. That's where you're wrong. He went to a place that could give him more PT. Yes, we know that to be different now.

Bell can shoot, but he’s too much of a one trick pony to be a starting SF on a Top 25 team. I’d prefer we had a 3 level scorer there who’s willing to play defense. Tennessee found Dalton Knecht at a mid major. We should try to find someone who was underrated

Yep what I was getting at but you said it better. Look across the top 25 and you will find it littered with exactly these types of transfers playing a big role.

This name keeps coming up as though there's some kind of Dalton Knecht tree.
Yup, a unicorn who is currently projected as a late lottery to mid 1st round pick.

There are a lot of assumptions tossed around here about playing time, "promises," starters, who Red can or cannot get, and who he "should" get. All fun to speculate about for fans, but nothing is as absolute as some try to make it sound. There are too many variables and too many things that could change between now and throughout portal season to speak in certainties. And water is wet.

I'm in the camp of Red needs to address the roster. How that ultimately plays out is going to depend on who stays, who leaves, who is asked to leave, who is available in the portal, what the NIL situation looks like, and, maybe most importantly, who is willing to come here to compete for minutes. Hopefully without fool's gold promises about playing time or starting - I don't think these promises are as prevalent as some assume apart from the Hunter Dickinson types.

who is willing to come here to compete for minutes.
I don't know why you and others think that this something that players do. Sure, it's something we want as fans, but I don't think this is realistic at all.

Good luck recruiting that way.

Incredible, ain't it?

People forget that we have pretty good resources to compete in the portal market. The bigger question is whether Red is willing to play hard ball, pound, and clear out roster space.

I don't know why you and others think that this something that players do. Sure, it's something we want as fans, but I don't think this is realistic at all.

Yeah, just doesn't work that way anymore.

A guy like Abmas is playing 35 mins for Texas. He's getting a guaranteed starting spot.

Yeah, just doesn't work that way anymore.

A guy like Abmas is playing 35 mins for Texas. He's getting a guaranteed starting spot.
If you can get a guy like Abmas he should have a guaranteed spot.

Good luck coaching a team and maintaining chemistry if your recruiting philosophy is centered around guaranteeing certain players minutes. The minutes have to be earned. Period. That's not just an unrealistic expectation that only "fans" have. It's a fact of life that every coach has to live by with few exceptions and every competitive player understands (even if they don't agree with the pecking order - and most do not).

I'm sure some players will not commit without that guarantee. Great. Bullett dodged. Most understand that nothing will be given to you other than the opportunity to prove yourself and the belief that there is a path to playing time if you earn it.

Depends on where you are bringing them in from. We have no clue who starts yet outside speculation. Is Freeman ready to start day 1?

You play 9 or 10 guys and the txfr are talented and experienced guys from a mid major then it’s just managing the roster and finding the right guys.

Westry hasn’t yet played a minute on the court in 18 months

Can’t be constantly worrying about such what ifs and put yourself in a hole hoping for something there is no clear evidence that will
Red showed early in the season he was willing to play 9 guys. Benny and MacLeod just didn't work out.

Good luck coaching a team and maintaining chemistry if your recruiting philosophy is centered around guaranteeing certain players minutes. The minutes have to be earned. Period. That's not just an unrealistic expectation that only "fans" have. It's a fact of life that every coach has to live by with few exceptions and every competitive player understands (even if they don't agree with the pecking order - and most do not).

I'm sure some players will not commit without that guarantee. Great. Bullett dodged. Most understand that nothing will be given to you other than the opportunity to prove yourself and the belief that there is a path to playing time if you earn it.
AP Top 5:
1 UConn - Cam Spencer - 32 mins a game
2 Purdue - Lance Jones - 29 mins a game
3 UNC - Harrison Ingram - 32 mins a game
4 Kansas - Hunter Dickenson - 32 mins a game
5 Houston - LJ Cryer - 32 mins a game

Move out of the 80s and into today's reality. All of these guys were guaranteed starter mins and somehow the teams are in the top 5. There's no good luck needed. Guaranteed spots are part of the sport now.

AP Top 5:
1 UConn - Cam Spencer - 32 mins a game
2 Purdue - Lance Jones - 29 mins a game
3 UNC - Harrison Ingram - 32 mins a game
4 Kansas - Hunter Dickenson - 32 mins a game
5 Houston - LJ Cryer - 32 mins a game

Move out of the 80s and into today's reality. All of these guys were guaranteed starter mins and somehow the teams are in the top 5. There's no good luck needed. Guaranteed spots are part of the sport now.
That's a good list and I appreciate the research. I'm not so sure it is representative of the portal pool at large.

As someone needing to move out of the 80's, can you explain how you know for a fact that those players would not have gone to programs like UCONN and Purdue and Kansas - programs with legit shots at a NC - without a guarantee of playing time? It's self evident after the fact, and most likely before the fact, that they have started every game and play big minutes. But you are certain if Bill Self told Dickinson he would need to earn his minutes he would have passed?

That's a good list and I appreciate the research. I'm not so sure it is representative of the portal pool at large.

As someone needing to move out of the 80's, can you explain how you know for a fact that those players would not have gone to programs like UCONN and Purdue and Kansas - programs with legit shots at a NC - without a guarantee of playing time? It's self evident after the fact, and most likely before the fact, that they have started every game and play big minutes. But you are certain if Bill Self told Dickinson he would need to earn his minutes he would have passed?
Questions like this show me it's not worth the time to have this discussion with you. Thanks.

I was disappointed in Reds response to the Benny question, he knew the question was coming and he kind of fumbled with the response.

No doubt it's been a tough week for the program but he had a great chance to close that chapter with Benny and move on, not sure that happened.
He handled it correctly. This is not a soap opera where you learn everything that happened and how everyone felt about it.

It's a personal problem for Benny and there is no need for anyone to know all the details.

Great point. Does a coach want someone who only came because of the NIL? If Syracuse and Kansas offered the same basic NIL, where would you go?

And who is going to dictate playing time, the coach or the player? As a coach you cannot have the players running the team or you won't be around very long.

Reactions: 007

What do you think JB did? He may not have guaranteed minutes, but her certainly guaranteed who started. It’s why we had so many guys as token starters as underclassmen for a lot of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom