Ref Reviews, challanges, Questions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ref Reviews, challanges, Questions

Not only was the targeting call missed by the crew, the "review" was a complete joke. Unfortunate that the "control room" down in petticoat junction is non-functional again this year. And no one mentioned the blatant holding of our DE on the long run by AT3. I sit on the visitor side (114) and everyone on that side of the building saw the hold ... everyone except the side judge who must have been scratching his crotch. Incompetent officiating is bad enough. But for the ACC to have the Musicians of Bremen running the control room is really pathetic - how many more years will it go on?

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
On the roughing the kicker it looked like the SU player pushed the Ohio guy into his own punter, was I wrong about that?

Just watched the entire replay. Slow mowed the duce int, looked legit with just the toe down in bounds, and the heel was close but didn’t look to have hit ob. Regardless should have been reviewed it was that close.

Punter deserved an academy award. Barely touched and flopped. Bs call.

The amount of holding not called on Ou was criminal esp on their td’s.

Everything called in Barron was legit. Should be benched if there is anyone capable behind him. Inexcusable.

The ou fumble was no fumble. Knee down.

The chase Simmons “blocking below the waist” was the #1 worst call I’ve ever seen in my entire sporting life.

As described above, dude is trying to come off a block toward the play, larger taller OU OL pushes him down essentially pancaking him down on his stomach. Then the OL friggin trips over him after pushing our defender to the ground. Worst call I’ve ever seen. Blatant cheating.

Second worst call I’ve ever seen in my life was not calling the targeting. WTaF

The int from Kyle Was like his interception last year in the Michigan game that cost them the game. Was actually the receivers fault for not finishing the pattern in that game last year at Michigan, this one was our receiver lazinWas like his interception last year in the Michigan game that cost them the game. Was actually the receivers fault for not finishing the pattern and that game last year at Michigan.

this one was our receiver lazily not fighting aggressively enough to make a play on ball giving a gift interception. Hatcher also missed another gimme elsewhere and would not be surprised if his playing time starts to be ratcheted back.

This was essentially of of the Worst refereed games I’ve ever seen in my life, if not the worst, and there have been quite a few others. The fact we still schooled them despite, signals good things for us.
Syracuse gets a terrible whistle both in and out of conference

Deuce was out when he secured the ball from what it looked like on TV.
Agreed. I think both calls that people were clamoring for Fran to challenge would have stayed as called on the field. The OU fumble and duce INT. Thought calls were fine there. Missed holding calls, the holding call on Syracuse and the no call on targeting was horrendous

Not only was the targeting call missed by the crew, the "review" was a complete joke. Unfortunate that the "control room" down in petticoat junction is non-functional again this year. And no one mentioned the blatant holding of our DE on the long run by AT3. I sit on the visitor side (114) and everyone on that side of the building saw the hold ... everyone except the side judge who must have been scratching his crotch. Incompetent officiating is bad enough. But for the ACC to have the Musicians of Bremen running the control room is really pathetic - how many more years will it go on?

View attachment 244310
No ACC refs for this game, this was MAC reffing. So can not blame ACC this time.

Agreed. I think both calls that people were clamoring for Fran to challenge would have stayed as called on the field. The OU fumble and duce INT. Thought calls were fine there. Missed holding calls, the holding call on Syracuse and the no call on targeting was horrendous
The holding call was legit except the Ohio player also should have been called for hand to the face. Should have been off setting penalties.

What is the status of Reviews on questionable calls and how many challanges does a coach get each game?

Being at the game these calls really seemed off.

SU interception which was called out of bounds
Roughing the punter
The interception on Kyle
Targeting that was waived.

Were any of them reviewed and if not why? Also do coaches still get to challenge?

It is beyond time for, especially with so much money at stake and Games of Thrones going on Conference-wise, to have officials paid for and beholden to Conferences.

The entire thing is ridiculous.

Whole thing was amateur-hour from the start...the best an Ohio fan could say was that they missed a hold or two on Syracuse, fine.

They blew like 4-5 major calls on Ohio AND let them Hold on every play, very obvious. Why?

Don't ask these players to work all off-season, then have the games refereed by people with obvious incentives to tilt outcomes over the long haul.

Yea I wondered why the Willis run on a scoring play wasnt worth a look.

Some games they seem to look for plays to review and others they are simple asleep?

Or maybe they snuck out for a hot dog and got stuck on the concourse.

I rarely complain about officiating, in fact I usually mock it as dumb homerism, but I'll make an exception for this game. It was awful.

I don't complain about holds, because (1) I've learned from talking to a college ref I know that there's so much minutia about that call that I'll never be able to understand it, and (2) it tends to cut both ways throughout a game. I'm sure there are OU fans complaining that so-and-so on SU held every play.

However, the non-call on targeting, the block below the waist, and the running into the punter were all atrocious. Why have replay if you can't get the obvious stuff corrected?

Last edited:
Ohio could complain about SU holding but since we ran so poorly most the game did it really matter?

Passing holding no idea

LA runs
first half drives
2nd half

so better 2nd half
10 runs that didn't do much
5 that did

Very few holes, a couple cutbacks in the 2nd that worked.

But if he is going to carry on 6 drives, we need more than 1 of them where the run works since that was supposed to be our thing.

There was also a delay of game not called.

Has a non-P5 team ever traveled on the road in both team’s first game of the year and had just one penalty for 5 yards? Seems borderline impossible.
the delay at least worked in our favor but it was pretty obvious one.

The running into the kicker happened right in front of me. The ref had his hand on the flag the entire time. An Ohio guy hit the punter not an SU guy. The ref was anticipating that. The penalty numbers for yardage are actually wrong bc 6-47 you would actually add up the penalty yardage lost on OG bomb that was 50 yards. I’ve never seen reffing like that in my life. Missed 2 delay of games. Targeting. About 10 holds. Willis TD. Duce Int. A play where McCord ran and dove head first and guy hit him super late. Block in the back on a punt in first half. It was insanity

No ACC refs for this game, this was MAC reffing. So can not blame ACC this time.
Yes MAC refs called the game (poorly IMO) as officials from the visiting team's conference. But I believe the reviews (that my post was referring to) are done in Charlotte, NC (ACC control room).

The running into the kicker happened right in front of me. The ref had his hand on the flag the entire time. An Ohio guy hit the punter not an SU guy. The ref was anticipating that. The penalty numbers for yardage are actually wrong bc 6-47 you would actually add up the penalty yardage lost on OG bomb that was 50 yards. I’ve never seen reffing like that in my life. Missed 2 delay of games. Targeting. About 10 holds. Willis TD. Duce Int. A play where McCord ran and dove head first and guy hit him super late. Block in the back on a punt in first half. It was insanity
The one delay call they made, the SU player had to tell them to call it. You can clearly see they weren’t going to until he pointed it out to them.

Yes MAC refs called the game (poorly IMO) as officials from the visiting team's conference. But I believe the reviews (that my post was referring to) are done in Charlotte, NC (ACC control room).
My friend is an ACC ref and said the crew was mostly Big 10 with some MAC guys who were being evaluated for promotion. He could be wrong, but he said he's done other P4 money games with mixed crew.

LA runs
first half drives
2nd half

so better 2nd half
10 runs that didn't do much
5 that did

Very few holes, a couple cutbacks in the 2nd that worked.

But if he is going to carry on 6 drives, we need more than 1 of them where the run works since that was supposed to be our thing.

The other guys cutbacks worked to.

My friend is an ACC ref and said the crew was mostly Big 10 with some MAC guys who were being evaluated for promotion. He could be wrong, but he said he's done other P4 money games with mixed crew.
The crew was mostly from the MAC, as is tradition to use officials from the visiting team's conference. If one or two were from the B1G that's possible - I haven't done a background check. Also in fairness, some of the calls that seemed questionable to the crowd were correct. One was the fumble by Navarro (his knee looked down). The interception by Duce - close call can't really assign blame.

But during the long run in the second half by Tyus the hold on Sparrow was blatant - wherever the side judge came from he should go back there and never ref another ACC game. The "holding" call on Savion (I believe by the Referee) was also a joke - obvious hands to the face for several seconds before Savion kind of pulled him down. The running into the kicker call - contact by our guy was minimal - a brush on the kicker's arm who then got trucked by his own player. Really poor call on that play. And last but not least, the targeting non-call I don't blame the refs -- too many players in the way. But the ACC control room just STB on this. Clearly a target - launched right at the head of MJ and helmet to helmet contact by #15. They should eject whoever "reviewed" that play and ban him from the Musicians of Bremen control room. Inexcusable.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay. The running into the kicker call was complete garbage. As others have stated, it was Ohio’s lineman that got pushed back into the kicker. 49 barely grazed the kicker.

The other BS call was the personal foul on Simmons. He was engaged in a block and the Ohio lineman pushed him which caused him to fall and then the lineman tripped over Simmons as he was falling. Literally happens dozens and dozens of times a game. Definitely not a penalty.

The MAC crew was really bad. Only calling 1 penalty on Ohio (I think it was so obvious they had to call it). Countless missed calls and some really bad calls against Syracuse. Overall, extremely poor job. But I guess they were there to protect their MAC team.

Deuce was out when he secured the ball from what it looked like on TV.

Unfortunately they didn't slow-mo close up replay on the broadcast because the Ohio player ran into his punter on the very next play.

the delay at least worked in our favor but it was pretty obvious one.

Yep, very clear, but glad they didn't call it in hindsight because of the sack.

Also glad McDonald didn't really factor into the play because he was making the throw the flag sign and looking at the refs when the ball was snapped.

That Washington hold is going to get called every single time

He grabbed his jersey and pulled the guy to the ground.

Was there hands in the face? Maybe on that one.

Probably could have been offsetting penalties but it was a pretty clear and obvious hold. Anytime you tackle another player they are going to call it a hold.

Either way that long pass wasn’t going to count. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom