Refs | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Refs

Maybe they need to add an illegal contact foul on the out of bounds plays and/or roughing plays? A 15 yard penalty and auto first down is a huge penalty. IMO neither of the plays deserved that. But if you have a 5 yard penalty available for the refs, they can make a call not get yelled at and it isn't a game changing play. Kind of like running into vs roughing the kicker.

So for Clemson they get a 4th and 10 at our 42 yard line vs having a 1st and 10 at our 32.

For SU we get a 4th and 9 at our 26.
I could live with no automatic 1st downs.Mark off the penalty yardage and it is what it is.

it wasnt an illegal man down field though. it was more like PI
Yep, Good call. Was the tight end blocking for the qb down field.

Regardless, was a major major call that went our way in that game. As was the illegal shift call on the TD where the ref literally took the flag out of his pocket and put it back in. Some here would be pulling their hair out of their head if that happened to us.

Yep, Good call. Was the tight end blocking for the qb down field.

Regardless, was a major major call that went our way in that game. As was the illegal shift call on the TD where the ref literally took the flag out of his pocket and put it back in. Some here would be pulling their hair out of their head if that happened to us.
one thing to think about its only a PI call if its actually on a guy who might catch the ball.. So if the ball is in the air and you tackle a WR 50 yds from the catch its not a penalty so in this case since it was a WR and the throw was not to him you cant call PI . Which would be different if he pushed off and then made the catch.

Again if he was blocking down field and a pass was thrown to someone in that area you could call a penalty for it.. But since he was not a lineman its really kind of unclear what to call in that spot.. a lineman down field makes sense because the D cant tell of its a pass or a run until the lineman goes beyond the 1-3 yd line.. But this was not that.

one thing to think about its only a PI call if its actually on a guy who might catch the ball.. So if the ball is in the air and you tackle a WR 50 yds from the catch its not a penalty so in this case since it was a WR and the throw was not to him you cant call PI . Which would be different if he pushed off and then made the catch.

Again if he was blocking down field and a pass was thrown to someone in that area you could call a penalty for it.. But since he was not a lineman its really kind of unclear what to call in that spot.. a lineman down field makes sense because the D cant tell of its a pass or a run until the lineman goes beyond the 1-3 yd line.. But this was not that.
I'm not 100%...you could be right, but the rulebook says "Offensive pass interference is contact by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone that interferes with a Team B player during a legal forward pass play in which the forward pass crosses the neutral zone. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents."

Doesn't really say anything about it being on the guy who catches the ball.

I'm not 100%...you could be right, but the rulebook says "Offensive pass interference is contact by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone that interferes with a Team B player during a legal forward pass play in which the forward pass crosses the neutral zone. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents."

so in what way did he interfere with that guys chance to catch the ball.. The same way that a ball that is thrown 20 yds over someones head does not get a PI call.

so in what way did he interfere with that guys chance to catch the ball.. The same way that a ball that is thrown 20 yds over someones head does not get a PI call.

"Offensive pass interference is contact by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone that interferes with a Team B player during a legal forward pass play"

Again, says nothing about catching the ball.

Do you think a WR can just start blocking down field on the man that is covering him before a pass is thrown?

Would it be illegal contact then?

Would it be illegal contact then?
Doesn't appear to be anything called "illegal contact" on the books for offensive players.

To me, if you have a guy, let's say on a delayed blitz or spying a QB...about to hit a QB and the WR/TE stops him from doing so...and then the QB throws the pass downfield. It's a pretty obvious penalty of some sort. THAT SAID...maybe it's a loophole in the NCAA rule book?

"Offensive pass interference is contact by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone that interferes with a Team B player during a legal forward pass play"

Again, says nothing about catching the ball.

Do you think a WR can just start blocking down field on the man that is covering him before a pass is thrown?
no. but it happens way more than you think with contact and its ignored unless its effects the play. Unless you think he caused the guy to not get to Shrader I'm not surprised they ignored it or they flat out missed it.

also found this on one officials forum

Now, in terms of application, if a suspected offensive pass interference occurs on the left side of the field and the QB throws immediately to the right, there’s no advantage gained and no foul. Divide the field into thirds – sideline to hash, hash to hash, hash to sideline. If the offensive pass interference situation occurs in the same zone as the ball or one zone away, it’s a foul. If it occurs two zones away, no foul.

Again, this is not the rule but it is generally accepted officiating philosophy.

now you can argue a pass 40 yds away is not a different zone..

no. but it happens way more than you think with contact and its ignored unless its effects the play. Unless you think he caused the guy to not get to Shrader I'm not surprised they ignored it or they flat out missed it.
If Mang doesn't block the man, the rusher either gets to him or, at worst, affects the pass.

If Mang doesn't block the man, the rusher either gets to him or, at worst, affects the pass.
i agree, but thats not what PI is called for.. If they had called it I would have been fine with it as a call.. Im just not clear on how the rules deal with it since the throw was not to Mang or near Mang or anyone in that area and he didnt hold him..

i agree, but thats not what PI is called for.. If they had called it I would have been fine with it as a call.. Im just not clear on how the rules deal with it since the throw was not to Mang or near Mang or anyone in that area and he didnt hold him..
For sure. I think we all would have accepted the call.
Up 8.
Vs NC State team who couldn't move the ball all day.

I think if Clemson had that exact play vs us on Sat and it wasn't called. We'd all be going apesh t and claiming fix. Myself included.