Regarding The Board Of Trustees... | Syracusefan.com

Regarding The Board Of Trustees...

Bill Orange

There has been much mis-information posted here regarding the responsibility of a university board of trustees ... or for that matter, the board of directors/trustees of any organization.

The Board of Trustees has nothing to do with the day-to-day management of the athletic department, just as they have nothing to do with the day-to-day management of Newhouse or Maxwell. Their major responsibility is to select a chancellor and have fiduciary responsibility for the university. They participate in search committees for the chancellor and the deans of the various schools and dean equivalents, and they approve the hiring of deans and dean equivalents.

They confer tenure and adopt an annual budget. They are also expected to make significant financial contributions to the school...either to the general fund or for specific purposes ... e.g., individual schools or specific building projects. The administration comes to the board with proposals for building projectsalong with their proposed funding.

They don't determine anyone's salary except for the chancellor's. The rest of the salaries are determined by the management of their respective departments, as it is done in all organizations.

Please keep in mind that SU is an academic institution, and all decisions regarding the university are made in that context.

There has been much mis-information posted here regarding the responsibility of a university board of trustees ... or for that matter, the board of directors/trustees of any organization.

The Board of Trustees has nothing to do with the day-to-day management of the athletic department, just as they have nothing to do with the day-to-day management of Newhouse or Maxwell. Their major responsibility is to select a chancellorand have fiduciary responsibility for the university.
They participate in search committees for the chancellor and the deans of the various schools and dean equivalents, and they approve the hiring of deans and dean equivalents

They confer tenure and adopt an annual budget. They are also expected to make significant financial contributions to the school...either to the general fund or for specific purposes ... e.g., individual schools or specific building projects. The administration comes to the board with proposals for building projectsalong with their proposed funding.

They don't determine anyone's salary except for the chancellor's. The rest of the salaries are determined by the management of their respective departments, as it is done in all organizations.

Please keep in mind that SU is an academic institution, and all decisions regarding the university are made in that context.
they do approve expenditures, correct?

let us not pretend they have no impact on the AD

At least some of the members of the BoT were involved in his hiring, weren't they?

Fiduciary responsibility doesn't include the athletics department?

Ok I cannot sit back on this one. Answer these questions please.

Isn't a BoT, of any organization for that matter, responsible for the strategic direction of the University and its major divisions whether that be Newhouse, Maxwell and yes - the friggen athletic department.

Isn't the strategic direction of moving to the ACC - the major revenue driver in the move being football - the proven successful HC who happens to be currently interviewing for the NFL - and you mean to tell us the BoT is not involved? Now I wonder what in the good Lords name what the hell is going on!

PLEASE do not go down this path...or things are far worse than I could ever imagine...

And they would be involved with facility upgrades no?
Point being - couldn't they be a major road block if they keep shutting down ideas for football renovations and keep diverting funds away from major upgrades?

it's almost like this football program is being discussed as its an intramural sport, and not a program that is and could potentially be driving tens of millions of dollars. at this point it doesn't matter who, but someone, somewhere along the way dropped the ball big time. If it's the AD, who is responsible for running the dept., or whoever is in control of setting up, and running an efficient and effect donor program. Either way a huge potential money maker seems to be on shaky ground.

The Board of Trustees has nothing to do with the day-to-day management of the athletic department, just as they have nothing to do with the day-to-day management of Newhouse or Maxwell. Their major responsibility is to select a chancellor and have fiduciary responsibility for the university. They participate in search committees for the chancellor and the deans of the various schools and dean equivalents, and they approve the hiring of deans and dean equivalents.

Uh oh.

The BOT has a great deal of influence on many issues including the status of the HC.

The BOT has a great deal of influence on many issues including the status of the HC.

How come they didn't when P was fired?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah you are.

You know the story and you know I witnessed it.

I know several folks that witnessed it. You know who made the decision right then and there. There was no BoT meeting, no discussions. 1 person made the call and directed it to be done.

I know several folks that witnessed it. You know who made the decision right then and there. There was no BoT meeting, no discussions. 1 person made the call and directed it to be done.

ok, this is better than listening to boomer and carton discuss rex's tatoo.

think i heard it before, but too many jack & cokes clog the brain, so...

all right fellas, lets have it.....

couchburn

Oh Lord

ok, this is better than listening to boomer and carton discuss rex's tatoo.

think i heard it before, but too many jack & cokes clog the brain, so...

all right fellas, lets have it.....

couchburn

Oh Lord

Paraphrasing

Cantor to TGD at bowl game

"He is embarrassing us. Get rid of him"

And so it was done.

Paraphrasing

Cantor to TGD at bowl game

"He is embarrassing us. Get rid of him"

And so it was done.

yeah, i thought it was something along the lines of a wee one call.

Could you repeat that---with a bigger font size please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom