Rehfuss entering the transfer portal | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Rehfuss entering the transfer portal

Very few but JC brought up Hobart so Id mention Derek Madonna who is a very good mid who would likely would see decent p/t as Lipka did.
He definitely has the shot. Not so sure about the dodge, but he would probably see some time on 2nd line or man up with that shot alone.

The idea of keeping talent "home" has to be one of the longest running topic amongst Syracuse lacrosse fans. For as long as i've been on these message boards there has always been complaints about missing out on this or that player - does the name Andrew Hanover ring any bells?

And while I totally understand it, I also am encouraged by the fact that Syracuse is currently drawing starters and All-Americans from all over the country - Dordevic from Oregon, Murphy from Texas, Porter from Canada, Curry from Baltimore, Dearth and Kennedy from New Jersey. I think I'd be more concerned if SU was simply only focusing on the local kids (and I think we'd be furious at Desko for being a lazy recruiter).

Obviously SU has missed out on a number of big names over the years (Canizarro from DU and Fletcher from Loyola come to mind first though there are certainly more), and there are local kids I'd like to see at Syracuse in the future, but is there anyone on a college team right now from Section III that you'd think would be playing/starting for the Orange right now?
Andrew liked SU plenty, but his Dad loved Ivy league (Penn) and told me then it was a no brainer. Hard to compete with that education.

Andrew liked SU plenty, but his Dad loved Ivy league (Penn) and told me then it was a no brainer. Hard to compete with that education.

My bad, Andrew Hanover is not the player I had in mind - there was a very good player from West Genny who went to Duke in the early 2000s and us Syracuse fans were very upset by it. There was a lot of kvetching. Don't think he went on the do much though. I think his last name was a European country, but for the life of me I now can't remember. Anyone know who I am thinking of?

My bad, Andrew Hanover is not the player I had in mind - there was a very good player from West Genny who went to Duke in the early 2000s and us Syracuse fans were very upset by it. There was a lot of kvetching. Don't think he went on the do much though. I think his last name was a European country, but for the life of me I now can't remember. Anyone know who I am thinking of?

Dan Chemotti?

Dan Chemotti?

Has to be him, I can't think of anyone else who would match up. SU was so loaded offensively then I don't even remember him doing to Duke being that big a deal but I could be wrong as that was a while ago.

Has to be him, I can't think of anyone else who would match up. SU was so loaded offensively then I don't even remember him doing to Duke being that big a deal but I could be wrong as that was a while ago.

Nope, sorry, it was in fact Andrew Hanover. He was the Post Standard co-player of the year in 2004. He didn’t do much of anything at Duke though. Thanks for humoring me

Nope, sorry, it was in fact Andrew Hanover. He was the Post Standard co-player of the year in 2004. He didn’t do much of anything at Duke though. Thanks for humoring me

Interesting list for sure, some big names and then some years where your like "who"? 2003 - 2006 did not turn out great, although the names preceding and after had some really good careers, lol.

Sorry to mislead you , Andrews brother Ed is who I was referencing.

Welp, if you were ever wondering why TD didn't consider Syracuse, or transferring to Syracuse, in the podcast he says an assistant told him, at his official visit, he wasn't athletic enough to play for a school like Syracuse. Anyways, it's a long interview but actually pretty entertaining. Impressive scoop for Evan.

Welp, if you were ever wondering why TD didn't consider Syracuse, or transferring to Syracuse, in the podcast he says an assistant told him, at his official visit, he wasn't athletic enough to play for a school like Syracuse. Anyways, it's a long interview but actually pretty entertaining. Impressive scoop for Evan.

Hopefully, the assistant who said that is the one who is no longer there. What a buffoon.

Denver Bulldogs will be very good

Lengthy interview of Ierlan by Molloy and Ossello was excellent. Good journalism, relaxed convo with good questions that was both informative and revealing .

Absolutely no way. And Varello did not get that same treatment? He was freaking wrestler of the year in high school. Don't believe that at all. Just makes zero sense for anyone to say that to a kids face on their official visit.

Absolutely no way. And Varello did not get that same treatment? He was freaking wrestler of the year in high school. Don't believe that at all. Just makes zero sense for anyone to say that to a kids face on their official visit.

Its worth listening to the whole interview. According to TD he also had a bad first impression with Marr who told him, without knowing who he was, that the face-off needed to be eliminated. Its a pretty funny story. And Irelan is clear to point out he wasn't the biggest kid at all in high school and he got overlooked by a lot of schools.

Evan asks if he considered SU and it didn't sound like he had any bad blood, and he's friends with a lot of the kids on the team. But he really wanted to honor Yale and play with Morrill and Cotler, who are two of his best friends on the team.

Perhaps not verbatim but could see him being soft pedaled on visit. Sometimes a school is being recruited more than doing the recruiting. Cuse likely more focused on recruiting Varello n other fogos so no hard sell. Ierlan had his HS success and a ranking, my recall of his recruiting tale is that many programs indicated interest but there were very few offerings because of reservations about his competition and size . Towson was the one major that showed real interest but they decided on another n interest waned. Marr not even knowing who Ierlan was or his position when meeting tells me that he wasn't a top recruit at the time. They took a shot and hit gold .Kid worked his tail off and rest is history.

Its worth listening to the whole interview. According to TD he also had a bad first impression with Marr who told him, without knowing who he was, that the face-off needed to be eliminated. Its a pretty funny story. And Irelan is clear to point out he wasn't the biggest kid at all in high school and he got overlooked by a lot of schools.

Evan asks if he considered SU and it didn't sound like he had any bad blood, and he's friends with a lot of the kids on the team. But he really wanted to honor Yale and play with Morrill and Cotler, who are two of his best friends on the team.
I guess I should huh. You just read something like that and it sounds like a distortion that is at least lacking a good deal of context. One thing to say "we have strict athletic requirements for our fogos and you will need to work to meet those requirements" and another entirely to say "you are not athletic enough to play for us OR any school like us" which is quite insulting. Do you get told something like the first quote and, due to the chip on your shoulder from being under-recruited already, interpret it as being told the second quote?

I probably have a lot to learn about the reality of the D1 recruiting process if things like that are said with some regularity. Comforting that Marr wasn't the magician who saw his potential either I suppose.

Perhaps not verbatim but could see him being soft pedaled on visit. Sometimes a school is being recruited more than doing the recruiting. Cuse likely more focused on recruiting Varello n other fogos so no hard sell. Ierlan had his HS success and a ranking, my recall of his recruiting tale is that many programs indicated interest but there were very few offerings because of reservations about his competition and size . Towson was the one major that showed real interest but they decided on another n interest waned. Marr not even knowing who Ierlan was or his position when meeting tells me that he wasn't a top recruit at the time. They took a shot and hit gold .Kid worked his tail off and rest is history.
Did not know that about Towson. We also do seem to lean towards hotbeds for a lot of our fogo recruits specifically, while being happy to experiment with unknown areas for other positions. Varello and Brennan back in the day both from Long Island. This freshman we are high on now made the rounds at the various high end fogo camps and what not. Makes some sense given the nature of the position, yet plenty of the greats fly under the radar.

Seems like we learned from our mistakes and struck gold on a former wrestler/under recruited kid in Phaup.

Did not know that about Towson. We also do seem to lean towards hotbeds for a lot of our fogo recruits specifically, while being happy to experiment with unknown areas for other positions. Varello and Brennan back in the day both from Long Island. This freshman we are high on now made the rounds at the various high end fogo camps and what not. Makes some sense given the nature of the position, yet plenty of the greats fly under the radar.

Seems like we learned from our mistakes and struck gold on a former wrestler/under recruited kid in Phaup.

Keep in mind SU previously had a FOGO committed from Minn who decomitted and the current frosh Savage is from Oregon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom