Reluctantly back by Unpopular Demand, a weekend review (Feb 15-Feb 17) of other mediocre basketball teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reluctantly back by Unpopular Demand, a weekend review (Feb 15-Feb 17) of other mediocre basketball teams

Overall, it was a positive day (FRI-SAT) for the group of mediocre teams.

They went:
2-5 in Q1 Games (nothing great)
7-1 in Q2 Games (very good)
9-6 total in Q1+Q2 (overall positive)
No bad losses

Nothing to get really concerned over either. But it would have been nice to see those teams that are already weak around the line (Arizona St, Nebraska, Temple) lose a Q2 Game.

My guess is that on the matrix, Florida moves in, and Indiana moves out.

There is a few significant Big East games today where both St. John's and Seton Hall have a chance at a Q1 win. Not sure how a 12-12 Creighton team has a NET of 59, but they still do. So it would be a Q1 road win for Hall.

1550420312007.png

OSU @ MSU is back and forth well into the second half. Palm has OSU as a 9 - is an OSU win better for SU, making that Q1 road win look even better, or should we want the Buckeyes to lose so that it's more likely they fall behind us?

This is why I’m not understanding some of the meltdowns on this board over the past several days. Yes, there’s definitely reason for concern, but we aren’t even close to that in/out line right now. The past few seasons have been a different story, so I guess I can understand why the doom and gloom around here. But we have a lot more opportunities in front of us, and I think the team rebounds nicely against Louisville on Wednesday (no pun intended, but hopefully we out rebound them too). We have a better profile than the majority of teams below us - as of today.

I think people are concerned because of how we've finished regular seasons of late...

Team has their fate in their own hands but the schedule is tough and we've see them find ways to lose and put themselves on the bubble like it's an inevitability.

...And the reality that this team has not gotten any better from last year.

Hope this year they break the mold, of course.

Creighton blowing a late game lead vs Seton Hall. That's like the 7th time they've done that this year. Including a 5pt lead with 8 seconds to go

St. John's also beat Villanova for a Q1 win. So overall the tally for the group this weekend:

4-5 in Q1 games (good)
7-1 in Q2
11-6 in Q1+Q2
No bad losses.

Certainly the group improved as a whole, but no major concern as I said before. The last team in is still arguably Florida. Arizona St, Temple which don't have great resumes.

Was going to create a new thread for this weeks sets of games but wait for the weekend. Plus I only have my phone right now for posting.

As posted above the teams that are last 5 in, and first six out went 0-5 tonight which makes up for the solid play of the weekend. Add in TCU losing last night and ilof the 12 “last in” and 8 “first out “ the overall record is 0-6.

syracuse is still 13th last in per the matrix — after last weekend it has passed Ohio ST and TCU in the rankings.

This thread appeals to sanity, so it might not be all that well received on this board.

College basketball is not nearly as good as it once was. Look back, DC would have left after his freshman year, despite the missed FT. The General would have been gone after sophomore year. JW would have never been around for the magic of '96. Every fan base is lamenting that their school is not what it used to be, and even the few blue bloods are pissed at the discontinuity from year to year.

This team's measure is not against previous SU teams, it's against other teams who are playing this year, and a lot of those teams are struggling just as SU is struggling. We are a far cry from who we were in the late 80's. So is everybody else.