Remember When Cooney was Out of Bounds? | Syracusefan.com

Remember When Cooney was Out of Bounds?

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
I'm a little late to the party with this one, but I can't help revisiting this and commenting on its lunacy:

I still don't get it. In the Gonzaga game, Cooney made a brilliant court savvy play when in crunch time of a monumental game, he sensed the ball rotation and, in his intuitive way unique to gym-rats, positioned himself to intercept a pass to the corner - brilliant. Remember? One of the 3 refs (the one standing near mid-court who had the worst view) called him out of bounds even though he was shielded from the play by many bodies and a great distance. The replay clearly showed Cooney was in bounds - a fact buttressed by the ref on the end line who had an unimpeded view and did not rule him out of bounds.

A great confab was held and with great sincerity and abundant scrutiny the call had to stand because "by rule" the chief refs determination (that Cooney was out of bounds) had to stand. What? It was like the OJ verdict. Why couldn't that "rule" be supplanted, overruled, set aside (whatever you want to call it) by the common sense of seeing that Cooney was in bounds. All the refs had to do was say, "Oops. My bad. Syracuse ball." Look at all the calls in baseball that are turned over due to replay.

We could've lost that game because of some technicality that would've served no good purpose.

Remember when... people posted topics in the proper forum?

And within a reasonable time period of the event in question?
:p
My bad on the forum (cat messed with touch pad). As to proximity to the event: That's my psychological defect. I can't let this one go. So easily correctable. Was presenting it to the group for closure/support/outrage mitigation. I'll soldier on nonetheless.

Meanwhile, that Quade Green sure left us at the altar...oops. Wrong forum.

My bad on the forum (cat messed with touch pad). As to proximity to the event: That's my psychological defect. I can't let this one go. So easily correctable. Was presenting it to the group for closure/support/outrage mitigation. I'll soldier on nonetheless.

too soon

I am with you. I still get mad at that call. I was mad when I thought they were going to over rule the call. We had the ball in the hands of our best free throw shooter. With that call, we had to get the ball in bounds. And then I discover that they aren't even over turning it.

Indeed a puzzling result for that play. Foul or not we should have at least got the ball out of bounds. Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember a "player being out of bounds" was not reviewable, only "who last touched it before going out" was reviewable. In this case the ball itself never went out of bounds. Oh well, the end result of the game was good.

Keep posting, you appear to be sane.

I'm a little late to the party with this one, but I can't help revisiting this and commenting on its lunacy:

I still don't get it. In the Gonzaga game, Cooney made a brilliant court savvy play when in crunch time of a monumental game, he sensed the ball rotation and, in his intuitive way unique to gym-rats, positioned himself to intercept a pass to the corner - brilliant. Remember? One of the 3 refs (the one standing near mid-court who had the worst view) called him out of bounds even though he was shielded from the play by many bodies and a great distance. The replay clearly showed Cooney was in bounds - a fact buttressed by the ref on the end line who had an unimpeded view and did not rule him out of bounds.

A great confab was held and with great sincerity and abundant scrutiny the call had to stand because "by rule" the chief refs determination (that Cooney was out of bounds) had to stand. What? It was like the OJ verdict. Why couldn't that "rule" be supplanted, overruled, set aside (whatever you want to call it) by the common sense of seeing that Cooney was in bounds. All the refs had to do was say, "Oops. My bad. Syracuse ball." Look at all the calls in baseball that are turned over due to replay.

We could've lost that game because of some technicality that would've served no good purpose.
IMG_4462.JPG

Kenny Anderson screwed over JB and signed with GT out of the blue...and was later seen driving around campus with a BMW.

Someone made Quade an offer he couldn't refuse. You don't pull an about face after two years and 10 visits without some kind of carrot. #bigbluewallet

Hell, I'm still pizzed about the Suplex.

Another OOB play that went against Cuse in that game was the Butler dude's foot was out of bounds when he made the steal.

upload_2016-11-21_19-41-35.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom