replacement schools for FSU and Clemson | Syracusefan.com

replacement schools for FSU and Clemson

kcsu

Living Legend
Who do you think the ACC would tap to replace FSU and Clemson? Would they look to two eastern schools such as Uconn and Rutgers my guess is no as it doesnt do anything for our footprint and i think that Syracuse and more importantly BC would be against it. Would they look to possibly drop the academic standards and replace FSU with South Florida? I say this is a stronger possibility than most think. FSU has a rating of 104 South Florida isnt too far behind. Giving up all of florida from a TV stand point would be difficult at best so something tells me SF could be provided with an invite. If Clemson leaves i believe they are replaced by Uconn as the bball program both Men and Womens would trump Rutgers. I know that some have thrown out ECU but i see no value in adding them and doubt that they are in the cards which brings me to the next thought. LV. Sure they are outside of the footprint but they do bring a rapidly improving football team to the fold and the bball program is top rate. So my thought is that if we lose Clemson and FSU we will replace them with two of the following four teams. SF, LV, UC and Rutgers.

If it is just FSU and Clemson who leaves I see the ACC standing pat.

I have a better chance of being named MVP of the NBA than ECU has of being added to the ACC.

Would they look to possibly drop the academic standards and replace FSU with South Florida? I say this is a stronger possibility than most think. FSU has a rating of 104 South Florida isnt too far behind. Giving up all of florida from a TV stand point would be difficult at best so something tells me SF could be provided with an invite.

You know that Miami would still be in the ACC, right?

I think all this talk about FSU and Clemson leaving is moot unless it happens. Most of this talk is media driven during a time when college sports are winding down, so the media needs some type of college news.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

L'Ville >>>Cinci>>> USF if they throw academic requirments out but I don't think that'll be the case.

Miami isn't leaving the ACC for the BEVO so ACC will still have a Florida presence. Can you imagine the culture shock of South Florida vs Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.?

The ACC will stand pat. The Big 12 would actually be at 12, SEC at 14, and the Pac-12 and B-G would both be at 12.

No incentive to add those mouthbreathers at UConn and Rutgers. Louisville is a crap commuter school, and so is USF. But hey, didn't someone suggest Baylor?!?

I still don't see this happening.

I wonder how much of this is really academics for the whole school or just academics regarding football/basketball? If FSU/Clemson and schools that allow anyone in like WV/Louisville then I have to wonder if this is why they weren't allowed in because it's hard to recruit vs schools that about anyone can get in. Maybe the scandal at NC brought this to light for Swofford and that's the way they thought they could compete with the commuter/lower standard schools and to let in a couple more would just make having a successful football program just that much harder to do.

The ACC will stand pat. The Big 12 would actually be at 12, SEC at 14, and the Pac-12 and B-G would both be at 12.

No incentive to add those mouthbreathers at UConn and Rutgers. Louisville is a crap commuter school, and so is USF. But hey, didn't someone suggest Baylor?!?

I still don't see this happening.
I agree, the ACC will stand pat. Even if most of the ACC schools would be okay with adding UConn and Rutgers, it is my guess that BC will continue to block UConn and that Syracuse will block RU. UL's bad academics will continue to block it's path to Greensboro.

I don't think anyone gets an invitation to the ACC unless there are more defections first.

I agree, the ACC will stand pat. Even if most of the ACC schools would be okay with adding UConn and Rutgers, it is my guess that BC will continue to block UConn and that Syracuse will block RU. UL's bad academics will continue to block it's path to Greensboro.

I don't think anyone gets an invitation to the ACC unless there are more defections first.
Tom my post is about who the ACC would add if FSU and Clemson left. Who do you think the replacement schools would be?

I don't imagine standing pat is an option if 2 schools leave.

Composition clause.

Tom my post is about who the ACC would add if FSU and Clemson left. Who do you think the replacement schools would be?
Let's start by assuming ND is not a possibility.

If so and if the ACC had to add two schools, for Scooch's composition clause, I would think UL will be the first one added.

They are the best of the rest in terms of their athletic programs. This would also stick a finger in the eye of the SEC, who has sided with the Big 12 instead of old buddy old pal the ACC. And perhaps most importantly, it is a new market for the ACC that does not infringe on the markets of any existing ACC schools.

The second school would surely be either RU or UConn. UConn was at the top of the list of ACC expansion candidates with SU the last time around and the only reason they are not heading South is because of BC. So all things being equal, I would think they remain a preferred option compared to Rutgers.

BC would not be happy about it but I think Syracuse and Pitt, if push came to shove, would much prefer to have UConn rather than Rutgers in the ACC. RU is clearly more of a threat to Syracuse, they compete for the same recruits and the same market more often and the rest of the ACC also appears to favor UConn over Rutgers. If you look at it from the perspective of athletic programs, there is no contest.

The only way Rutgers gets an ACC invite, in my opinion, is if the ACC loses 4 or more schools they have today. Even then, I would easily see a scenario where a school like USF gets invited before Rutgers.

Well it would have to be a BE team. You can eliminate Boise, SD St, and Navy who are FB onlies. Then SMU, Houston, and Memphis due to location. I don't think the ACC should take two poor academic schools. One is fine but not two. So of Louisville and Cincy, you take Louisville. Of USF and UCF, IMO UCF is better. Louisville vs UCF is a hard call IMO. Both have positives and negatives but Louisville's brand wins out. Temple is mediocre at everything and good at nothing. They wouldn't get in over RU or UConn. Of those two schools IMO UConn is the better choice so UConn is IN. Now the question is do you take RU or Louisville? And that is the great debate. I think I would edge Louisville in.

FSU and Clemson will stay in the ACC.

Unless the SEC beckons.

The Big 12 has nothing to offer except, perhaps, 1.5 million or so more per year. That is, until the ACC and ESPN have to deal with the 5-year "look in." If FSU and Miami (and hopefully SU) can get their mojo back by 2016 I think the ACC could easily be commanding more $ per school than the Great Plains teams.

FSU and Clemson will stay in the ACC.

Unless the SEC beckons.

The Big 12 has nothing to offer except, perhaps, 1.5 million or so more per year. That is, until the ACC and ESPN have to deal with the 5-year "look in." If FSU and Miami (and hopefully SU) can get their mojo back by 2016 I think the ACC could easily be commanding more $ per school than the Great Plains teams.

IMO it would be a net of $5 million more per year for FSU. So if I were them I would wait until after the 5 year look in. They would be able to see what happens with the new playoff system and what happens with the TV money. If things are bad for the ACC, then leave for the B12. If things are good then you stay. Why rush to judgement now? The smart thing to do is wait 5 years to see what the landscape is, including whether or not ND has renewed with NBC or joined a conference by then.

I'm not a conference affiliation guru by far so it may be a dumb question but would Army/Navy be options(despite acknowledging they aren't real football powers)? They would have the academics covered, some national appeal, be east coast teams and possibly make it more palatable for ND to join when and if they decide they need a conference to compete...The yearly army navy game would then actually be a conference game with national interest.

I'm not a conference affiliation guru by far so it may be a dumb question but would Army/Navy be options(despite acknowledging they aren't real football powers)? They would have the academics covered, some national appeal, be east coast teams and possibly make it more palatable for ND to join when and if they decide they need a conference to compete...The yearly army navy game would then actually be a conference game with national interest.

I thought Army/Navy would have been great for the Big East years ago. Not sure about the ACC.

Seems to me that Louisville would be a good addition (especially in basketball) and since I don't think Miami is going anywhere and no need to add a FL team, I would not be surprised to see Navy or UCONN. Those two might be better long term than Clemson who has a spotty record and no TV market. I think that Navy is the best independent prize after ND.

That having been said, I don't think FSU or Clemson are going anywhere.

Army / Navy also have the Lax end of things and other olympic sports ... both are beautiful campuses much like other ACC teams, academics are excellent, long traditions ... would need to upgrade their hoops programs, but that is long term

I thought Army/Navy would have been great for the Big East years ago. Not sure about the ACC.

Wonder what effect is having the national service academies on your side when state politics start getting involved.;)

I would add 4 and get to 16. My choices would be:

1. Rutgers
2. UConn
3. A gun
4. A bullet

I would add 4 and get to 16. My choices would be:

1. Rutgers
2. UConn
3. A gun
4. A bullet

I might prefer a single malt and a cyanide capsule in deference to the survivors but I get where you're coming from.

I favor UCF over USF. Quite frankly, that's the choice the Big East should have made 9 years ago.