Replacements for Desko | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Replacements for Desko

Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers from 2019, Biff? ;)
No underdog should come to the dome in the NCAA tourney and not be afraid of the SU. It seems like just the opposite is true, they're licking their chops to get a piece of the Orange. Would that be acceptable to any other supposed blue blood in any sport?

No underdog should come to the dome in the NCAA tourney and not be afraid of the SU. It seems like just the opposite is true, they're licking their chops to get a piece of the Orange. Would that be acceptable to any other supposed blue blood in any sport?
I was just responding to your "2112" typo, that's all. Not the gist of your post. Just me being me.
1550446552542.png

I only created an account recently, and I did so because I love Syracuse lacrosse. Regardless of the circumstances, I love Syracuse lacrosse. I also love the way we executed yesterday, and how well we rebounded from the pathetic effort that was the season opener. The guys showed flashes of brilliance, and exciting potential. But unfortunately, there are still some big question marks for me personally.
I said this yesterday, I don’t believe Albany is a good team (right now). Offensively, they only have one legitimate dodger (who looked quite lazy at times and subpar when not flanked by Connor fields) and defensively they have a first year d coordinator. Overall, they are a very inexperienced team. This was the first game in a LONG time where the offball defense was solid, and while that keeps me optimistic, I am also not sold. There are among other problems that I’m not gonna label as “solved” until I see us play against some ACC caliber opponents.
As far as this thread goes, I truly like our coaching staff. And while I do believe there should be some concern w Rodgers, I personally think Donahue is one of the best minds in the game. This staff needs to have a big season, and I’m obviously rooting for them too as I’d love nothing more but to see
us back in the final four.

I only created an account recently, and I did so because I love Syracuse lacrosse. Regardless of the circumstances, I love Syracuse lacrosse. I also love the way we executed yesterday, and how well we rebounded from the pathetic effort that was the season opener. The guys showed flashes of brilliance, and exciting potential. But unfortunately, there are still some big question marks for me personally.
I said this yesterday, I don’t believe Albany is a good team (right now). Offensively, they only have one legitimate dodger (who looked quite lazy at times and subpar when not flanked by Connor fields) and defensively they have a first year d coordinator. Overall, they are a very inexperienced team. This was the first game in a LONG time where the offball defense was solid, and while that keeps me optimistic, I am also not sold. There are among other problems that I’m not gonna label as “solved” until I see us play against some ACC caliber opponents.
As far as this thread goes, I truly like our coaching staff. And while I do believe there should be some concern w Rodgers, I personally think Donahue is one of the best minds in the game. This staff needs to have a big season, and I’m obviously rooting for them too as I’d love nothing more but to see

Excellent post

I could not agree more. I do hope for a shakeup because I think we need to get younger for recruiting. A new defensive coordinator, a younger Syracuse Alum, could help with recruiting. Desko is a great lacrosse coach, but recruitng is everything.

Shays not coming here as Yale can pay him more then SU can or will and there loaded up it would be a downward move at this point. Tambroni has done jack at PSU and is already making pretty good money so hard pass. Chemotti is interesting, good coach but I would worry about the offense a bit. Still I would definitely take a long look at him, I think he could do a heck of a job here with the right OC. Lars isnt happening.

Chemotti Galloway and a young successful OC from one the big schools are probably the most likely candidates. The guy at Rutty has done a nice job to.
Chemotti was the OC at Loyola when they won the National Championship, so there's that...

Chemotti was the OC at Loyola when they won the National Championship, so there's that...
That squad was noted for its defense, not offense. Championship game was 9-3. (And I think Loyola won only 4 faceoffs.)

You think he's done enough at JU to be considered for HC here? Besides making the program better there's also:

Galloway also played an instrumental role in revitalizing efforts in both fundraising and designing the Dolphins’ $1.875 million, 8,600-square-foot facility housing the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams’ locker rooms, film room, lounge, coaches offices, athletic training center, conference room, game room, and nutritional center.

Is he going to satisfied there with what he's accomplished or finalizing his plans to be very seriously considered to come home where he belongs?

You think he's done enough at JU to be considered for HC here? Besides making the program better there's also:

Galloway also played an instrumental role in revitalizing efforts in both fundraising and designing the Dolphins’ $1.875 million, 8,600-square-foot facility housing the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams’ locker rooms, film room, lounge, coaches offices, athletic training center, conference room, game room, and nutritional center.

Is he going to satisfied there with what he's accomplished or finalizing his plans to be very seriously considered to come home where he belongs?

Who the heck knows. But Chemotti has 2 NCAA tourney appearances in just 5 years of the program's existence. That's pretty good no matter how you slice it.

Dan Chemotti - Head Coach - Staff Directory - University of Richmond Athletics

If he hasn't done enough to be considered here then who has? Shay and Tambroni would be A list choices.

Who the heck knows. But Chemotti has 2 NCAA tourney appearances in just 5 years of the program's existence. That's pretty good no matter how you slice it.

Dan Chemotti - Head Coach - Staff Directory - University of Richmond Athletics

If he hasn't done enough to be considered here then who has? Shay and Tambroni would be A list choices.

Chemotti would be right at the top of the list if SU made a coaching chang. I don't see Shay or Tambroni leaving their current schools and I am not sure SU would even pursue Tambroni to be honest.

Chemotti would be right at the top of the list if SU made a coaching chang. I don't see Shay or Tambroni leaving their current schools and I am not sure SU would even pursue Tambroni to be honest.

I do believe Shay would leave. And I agree with Tambroni but what's the old saying 'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take' so at least make the call.

I do believe Shay would leave. And I agree with Tambroni but what's the old saying 'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take' so at least make the call.
It's anyone's guess looking at a crystal ball who would leave their current program. Chemotti certainly has qualifications, the age and record and six years with the Spiders. How about Chemotti, Powell, and ? OR whomever Chemotti wants as assistants.

But Desko ain't going anywhere IMO. I think the Lax board is similar to the BB board everyone wants a National Championship or close to it every year or we're not valid. The coaches are ancient or AARP certified. I know it's been awhile – jes mentioning.

It's anyone's guess looking at a crystal ball who would leave their current program. Chemotti certainly has qualifications, the age and record and six years with the Spiders. How about Chemotti, Powell, and ? OR whomever Chemotti wants as assistants.

But Desko ain't going anywhere IMO. I think the Lax board is similar to the BB board everyone wants a National Championship or close to it every year or we're not valid. The coaches are ancient or AARP certified. I know it's been awhile – jes mentioning.

Mens bball vs Mens lax is not really comparable. SU has had tremendous success in bball under JB but SU is not a blue blood bball school, were in that second tier of schools. The Lax team/program is or at least was heralded as the premiere program ala Duke in bball. The expectations for Lax are always going to be higher.

Mens bball vs Mens lax is not really comparable. SU has had tremendous success in bball under JB but SU is not a blue blood bball school, were in that second tier of schools. The Lax team/program is or at least was heralded as the premiere program ala Duke in bball. The expectations for Lax are always going to be higher.
Thanks Jeremy. I've been watching all programs since I graduated from SU in '68. I agree, Lax expectations are higher. Powells and Gaits, which Desko had the benefit of recruiting and landing as an assistant, don't come around often and if they do, these days, with so many schools vying for great talent you are fortunate to land one. However we do need a great player(s) to get the program moving again and a new coach.

Last edited:
Jeremy, for the life of me I cannot figure out the criteria posters are using to pick a new coach which by the way we do after every non NC year. Shays, Chemotti, Galloway seem to me flavor of the month, emotional stabs with either a couple very good years or alumnae bias influencing the choices. I offer one determining criterion, winning years across two or more programs with mediocre histories. Two examples come to mind, Tierney and Tambroni. Tierney may be too old to take on another challenge, however; he is a great coach. Tambroni would be a lock for me. Tiffany may prove himself to be a third this year. I'd hire them in a New York second. The problem of course is that both Tambroni and Tiffany are on the cusp of an NC. Another criterion might be six or more years with a high percentage of wins and or tournament appearances. Oops, SU already has one of them. Toomey might be another. Alberici fits. I guess I'd like to hear posters talk about their criteria a lot more before I go rushing out the door to hire these guys. Oh, oh I have recommended Brodie Merrill more than once in these fora. Oh hell why not take a flier. He's still the best coach out there.

Jeremy, for the life of me I cannot figure out the criteria posters are using to pick a new coach which by the way we do after every non NC year. Shays, Chemotti, Galloway seem to me flavor of the month, emotional stabs with either a couple very good years or alumnae bias influencing the choices. I offer one determining criterion, winning years across two or more programs with mediocre histories. Two examples come to mind, Tierney and Tambroni. Tierney may be too old to take on another challenge, however; he is a great coach. Tambroni would be a lock for me. Tiffany may prove himself to be a third this year. I'd hire them in a New York second. The problem of course is that both Tambroni and Tiffany are on the cusp of an NC. Another criterion might be six or more years with a high percentage of wins and or tournament appearances. Oops, SU already has one of them. Toomey might be another. Alberici fits. I guess I'd like to hear posters talk about their criteria a lot more before I go rushing out the door to hire these guys. Oh, oh I have recommended Brodie Merrill more than once in these fora. Oh hell why not take a flier. He's still the best coach out there.
I would say Tambroni/Tiffany/Toomey/Shay would all be considered absolutely grand slam hires, with Tambroni being a tad better for us than the rest in my opinion. Then Probably Chemotti-only lower then those 4 due to limited experience in comparison. He also however, is probably the most realistic of them all. I think Nadelen and Chemotti are definitely the 2 hottest young coaches right now (though I highly doubt Nadelen leaves unless it’s for Hop). Then so on, although I agree it all depends on what you’re looking for I guess.

That squad was noted for its defense, not offense. Championship game was 9-3. (And I think Loyola won only 4 faceoffs.)
The defense may have won that game, but the offense got them to the Final.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom