Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league | Syracusefan.com

Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league

Can anyone shed light on the "nationwide hoops league" movement? Is this a proposed counterweight to a move by the 64 power football schools to set up a new hoops tournament to compete with (or destroy) the Big Dance?

All of this is just so sad. Wish we could go back to the pre-2003 days when our football conference was loaded with rivalries. The bball conference was always good prior to LVille, Cincy, USF, Marq and Depaul joining.

The Big East completely going away is just a shame (even though I hate them right now). It is a shame that all of this has been decided by TV dollars.

NCAA sports is a joke. Ruining all of these old rivalries... FAIL.

Good! We put animals to sleep when they are sick, the Big East should do the same. Just end this joke of a conference.

Dissolve and let the basketball schools start up their own B'ball only league and be done with it.

Hmmm...if it come down to 4 super conferences and we aren't in one of them, maybe we'd be better off dropping fball and becoming one of these 'bball only' schools

Hmmm...if it come down to 4 super conferences and we aren't in one of them, maybe we'd be better off dropping fball and becoming one of these 'bball only' schools

No.

Dave Gavitt was thought to be innovative. He, and then Tranghese, were not. They couldn't see the future at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone shed light on the "nationwide hoops league" movement? Is this a proposed counterweight to a move by the 64 power football schools to set up a new hoops tournament to compete with (or destroy) the Big Dance?

The assumption has long been that if the Big East's Catholic schools -- Marquette, DePaul, Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown -- broke away, they'd raid the A-10 and form a Northeastern hoops super-conference.

That plan always included schools like Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Siena and Butler. But what's always kept this idea from gaining any momentum is that college basketball television ratings resemble those of late-night infomercials. The biggest regular season games can't touch the Liberty Bowl in ratings.

So what could help college hoops and, perhaps, prompt some Big East teams to take a longer look elsewhere?

There has been preliminary and very informal discussion about whether a national basketball-only league could be formed if the Big East dissolves, according to a television executive.

Specific teams have not been talked about, but the thought would be to create a power basketball league that spans the country -- think Georgetown to Gonzaga -- that could maximize visibility, profitability and exposure, though it may continue to pale in comparison to football.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/20/Big-East-realignment/index.html#ixzz2CxoNJVDy

Brief history lesson:

According to the Big East’s bylaws, the conference can be dissolved by a two-thirds vote of all members.

This is why the football and basketball schools didn't split in 2003. Neither side had the 8 required votes.

The assumption has long been that if the Big East's Catholic schools -- Marquette, DePaul, Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown -- broke away, they'd raid the A-10 and form a Northeastern hoops super-conference.

That plan always included schools like Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Siena and Butler. But what's always kept this idea from gaining any momentum is that college basketball television ratings resemble those of late-night infomercials. The biggest regular season games can't touch the Liberty Bowl in ratings.

So what could help college hoops and, perhaps, prompt some Big East teams to take a longer look elsewhere?

There has been preliminary and very informal discussion about whether a national basketball-only league could be formed if the Big East dissolves, according to a television executive.

Specific teams have not been talked about, but the thought would be to create a power basketball league that spans the country -- think Georgetown to Gonzaga -- that could maximize visibility, profitability and exposure, though it may continue to pale in comparison to football.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/20/Big-East-realignment/index.html#ixzz2CxoNJVDy

Where is the power?? Just don't see this as being compelling, presumably it would not include anyone who is in this week's top 13 and only 2 teams in the top 25 maybe 5 teams in the top 25 if you consider basketball programs with borderline football programs. (Creighton, Gonzaga, UNLV (?), Memphis (?), San Diego State (?).

Brief history lesson:

According to the Big East’s bylaws, the conference can be dissolved by a two-thirds vote of all members.

This is why the football and basketball schools didn't split in 2003. Neither side had the 8 required votes.
Read an ironic quote on the GTown forum:
" Once LVille or UConn goes to the ACC, that league will look exactly like the old BE. The football schools always talked about leaving and forming a new league, maybe they just did".

Unlike many I don't see the destruction of conferences as a good thing, even the big east. They mismanaged it to no end but this all nice and neat 4 or 5 conference thing just reeks of anti-trust. The Carnegies and Rockefellers must be proud.

Read an ironic quote on the GTown forum:
" Once LVille or UConn goes to the ACC, that league will look exactly like the old BE. The football schools always talked about leaving and forming a new league, maybe they just did".

Pretty sure the old BE didn't extend from the "Delta to the DMZ". :D

Brief history lesson:

I don't see the current arithmetic. Seven hoops-only schools. And 3 football schools--USF, Cincy and either LVill or UConn (Temple has no voting rights until July). 7/10 is not 75%.

I don't see the current arithmetic. Seven hoops-only schools. And 3 football schools--USF, Cincy and either LVill or UConn (Temple has no voting rights until July). 7/10 is not 75%.

Two-thirds = 67%.

Why dissolve it? Just let the football schools leave and keep it a BE hoops league.

Good! We put animals to sleep when they are sick, the Big East should do the same. Just end this joke of a conference.

Dissolve and let the basketball schools start up their own B'ball only league and be done with it.

I find it hard to understand how someone can derive such joy from the demise of an institution that brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people.

You're actually happy that a bunch of schools will perhaps be left out of a football conference?

You have told us that you apparently don't like SU Athletic Department - at least the ticket office.

Did you cheer when Hostess announced that it was going out of business?

Were you hoping that GMwould go bankrupt?

The Big East Catholics and some selected A10 schools could make one DYNAMITE hoops conference.

I would like the BBall Catholics to keep The Big East brand name though...

All of this is just so sad. Wish we could go back to the pre-2003 days when our football conference was loaded with rivalries. The bball conference was always good prior to LVille, Cincy, USF, Marq and Depaul joining.

The Big East completely going away is just a shame (even though I hate them right now). It is a shame that all of this has been decided by TV dollars.

NCAA sports is a joke. Ruining all of these old rivalries... FAIL.

Completely agree.

Bees. Do u still have zero concern?

There is never anything that is 0 or 100. But no, I'm not overly concerned.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I find it hard to understand how someone can derive such joy from the demise of an institution that brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people.

You're actually happy that a bunch of schools will perhaps be left out of a football conference?

You have told us that you apparently don't like SU Athletic Department - at least the ticket office.

Did you cheer when Hostess announced that it was going out of business?

Were you hoping that GMwould go bankrupt?
How did you turn this around and make it about me? My god, even on thanksgiving morning all you want to do is take cheap shots and derail this thread. Seriously, the Big East SUCKS. Sorry, when the flagship schools are USF, Cincy, UCONN, San Diego St and Houston...its bad. Really bad!! If the conference splits up and the b'ball only schools break away and keep the name THAT IS A GOOD THING!! That is what I am hoping for! Split up and move on with some dignity for crying out loud.

So on this Thanksgiving morning you can call me all the names you want if that makes ya feel better. But if you don't want to live in reality and realize that the Big East as it currently stands heading into 2013 is a laughingstock and a joke go for it! Keep defending them. Keep thinking they are getting this HUGE TV deal that will be better than any other conferences. And keep living in this fantasy world.

Nobody is happy the Big East is going to die, but its a reality. If you want to put you're head in the sand and ignore it...go for it!

The Big East Catholics and some selected A10 schools could make one DYNAMITE hoops conference.

This might have been the case 10 years ago, not so sure anymore. And I'm pretty sure the trend line is headed down for these schools.

Just look at the top 25. There are only two schools in it currently that don't play football (Creighton & Gonzaga). Only 5 that don't play true BCS football (aforementioned two plus UNLV, Memphis & San Diego State).

Look at the Big East and the direction of the teams in it. Where are Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, DePaul, St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown? While they all have significant tradition and history, I'm not sure any would be seen as being currently elite and it might be questionable whether any have current sustained high levels of success. Maybe Georgetown and Marquette? But, what happens when their conference doesn't have football money to help support it?

Where are the A-10 schools? Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, GWU, St. Joseph's, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, Dayton, Charlotte, VCU, LaSalle, UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, Richmond.

How many matchups are there among that bunch that make anyone other than a hard core fan, or someone following one of the schools in the conference, eager to turn on their TV to watch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom