Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league

This might have been the case 10 years ago, not so sure anymore. And I'm pretty sure the trend line is headed down for these schools. Just look the top 25. There are only two schools in it currently that don't play football (Creighton & Gonzaga). Only 5 that don't play true BCS football (aforementioned two plus UNLV, Memphis & San Diego State). Look at the Big East and the direction of the teams in it. Where are Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, DePaul, St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown? While they all have significant tradition and history, I'm not sure any would be seen as being currently elite and it might be questionable whether any have current sustained high levels of success. Maybe Georgetown and Marquette? But, what happens when their conference doesn't have football money to help support it?

Where are the A-10 schools? Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, GWU, St. Joseph's, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, Dayton, Charlotte, VCU, LaSalle, UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, Richmond.

How many matchups are there among that bunch that make anyone other than a hard core fan, or somone following one of the schools in the conference, eager to turn on their TV to watch?

Georgetown
St.Johns
Nova
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Marquette
Butler
UMASS
Xavier** (I would go Xavier but this could be a wild card spot and any number of teams would fit)

That is a LEGIT 10 team, old school, viable and respectable basketball conference that would work!!

Georgetown
St.Johns
Nova
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Marquette
Butler
UMASS
Xavier** (I would go Xavier but this could be a wild card spot and any number of teams would fit)

That is a LEGIT 10 team, old school, viable and respectable basketball conference that would work!!

No it isn't. It's the current A-10 with some familiar Big East schools that we know and love because of their familiarity substituted for the dreck we aren't as familiar with. There isn't a game in that conference that I would be interested in, either (i) if it didn't have some impact on Cuse or (ii) we are more than two years removed from being in the same conference with them. Not one of those teams is in the top 25 right now.

The conferene can't be built to appeal to those fans that sit at home and watch whatever game is on TV each night. It needs to pull in those people who have entertainment options or would just as soon watch The Voice as a mediocre college matchup.

No it isn't. It's the current A-10 with some familiar Big East schools that we know and love because of their familiarity substituted for the dreck we aren't as familiar with. There isn't a game in that conference that I would be interested in, either (i) if it didn't have some impact on Cuse or (ii) we are more than two years removed from being in the same conference with them.

That's the point, make it the current A-10 but just a little better! 1980 ain't calling and there is NO going back to those days. It's over! The reality is what it is!! Make the best of it. And that is making the best of it! That conference I listed isn't perfect but its better than having to watch the current mess the "big east" has created with schools all over the friggin map and matchups nobody cares about.

All of this is just so sad. Wish we could go back to the pre-2003 days when our football conference was loaded with rivalries. The bball conference was always good prior to LVille, Cincy, USF, Marq and Depaul joining.

The Big East completely going away is just a shame (even though I hate them right now). It is a shame that all of this has been decided by TV dollars.

NCAA sports is a joke. Ruining all of these old rivalries... FAIL.
i said the same thing over a year ago, and that's where i have evolved to .i believe many in the su small fan base came to or coming to the same conclusion. more become casual fans less involved. new traditions must be formed by the "newer"fans,as for many(not all)of us who have been around a while have seen and lost enough(not games but tradition)

A really dumb idea. Who would pay to watch those teams?

i said the same thing over a year ago, and that's where i have evolved to .i believe many in the su small fan base came to or coming to the same conclusion. more become casual fans less involved. new traditions must be formed by the "newer"fans,as for many(not all)of us who have been around a while have seen and lost enough(not games but tradition)

Small fan base??? I believe the Nate Silver demographics study put Syracuse at #37 (w/ more than 500,000 fans) among all FBS programs. #37 out of 120-some schools does not rank us among the giants but puts us comfortably among the "Big 64" that the superconference agitators envision.

No it isn't. It's the current A-10 with some familiar Big East schools that we know and love because of their familiarity substituted for the dreck we aren't as familiar with. There isn't a game in that conference that I would be interested in, either (i) if it didn't have some impact on Cuse or (ii) we are more than two years removed from being in the same conference with them. Not one of those teams is in the top 25 right now.

The conferene can't be built to appeal to those fans that sit at home and watch whatever game is on TV each night. It needs to pull in those people who have entertainment options or would just as soon watch The Voice as a mediocre college matchup.

I would watch Gtown v SJU. Or Nova.

Small fan base??? I believe the Nate Silver demographics study put Syracuse at #37 (w/ more than 500,000 fans) among all FBS programs. #37 out of 120-some schools does not rank us among the giants but puts us comfortably among the "Big 64" that the superconference agitators envision.
39000 a game --nuff said

I would watch Gtown v SJU. Or Nova.

I would too, today. Two years from now when we are firmly an ACC school (?) and that Georgetown vs. St. John's or Nova matchup means nothing to Syracuse, I probably wouldn't. Especially if Villanova continues losing to the likes of Columbia and Alabama and St. Johns continues to have difficulty turning promising recruiting classes into winning basketball teams.

39000 a game --nuff said
In the end, that might end up as our ace in the hole.
If the ACC implodes who wouldn't want that kinda following, even if its "just basketball".

Could this be the start to "The Loophole"?

Step 1: Dissolve Big East
Step 2: Dissolve ACC
Step 3: Eastern Coast Conference names new league
Step 4: Review applications from potential members from other leagues and independents
Step 5: Laugh at applications from Rutgers and Maryland
Step 6: Pick the best possible 16 teams for league
Step 7: Review TV Contract bids from all applicants
Step 8: Laugh at ESPN and Newscorp's bid
Step 9: Accept new industry leading TV Contract
Step 10: Create ECC Network
Step 11: Enjoy controlling the East Coast Market

Welcome to the ECC!

Step 4: Review applications from potential members from other leagues and independents

Welcome to the ECC!

My son, who has never even played organized football, is still trying to decide whether he'd rather go to to SU to play Basketball or LSU to play Football. It's good to dream, but some dreams should be relegated to sleeping hours.

Welcome to the ECC!

I was thinking about something like this today. The ACC schools should LEAVE the ACC and "join" the Big East. Boom, the ACC is disolved, and now the "NEW NEW NEW" Big East has old ACC schools, and the brilliant part, they are in open negotiations for a new TV contract.

That is the way the ACC and East Coast Football schools tell ESPN to go themselves.

Could Swofford pull this off?

Boston College
UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
Temple
UVA
Va Tech
Lville
Cincy
Duke
UNC
Wake
Clemson
NC State
Miami
Fl State

Tell the BE hoops only catholics to go start their own league.

Sorry USF, you dont make the cut in this scenario, too many fl schools.

I was thinking about something like this today. The ACC schools should LEAVE the ACC and "join" the Big East. Boom, the ACC is disolved, and now the "NEW NEW NEW" Big East has old ACC schools, and the brilliant part, they are in open negotiations for a new TV contract.

That is the way the ACC and East Coast Football schools tell ESPN to go themselves.

Could Swofford pull this off?
No they would have acted in bad faith - it is not that easy to void a contract.

Honestly, this would be the smartest thing for the BE to do. UConn and Louisville are gone. So you could create, if you raid the A10, a hoops conference that looks like this:

Georgetown
St. John's
Seton Hall
DePaul
Providence
Villanova
Xavier
UMass
St. Joe's
Butler
URI
Dayton
VCU
Marquette
Saint Louis

Etc...

That's a potentially very good basketball conference.

My son, who has never even played organized football, is still trying to decide whether he'd rather go to to SU to play Basketball or LSU to play Football. It's good to dream, but some dreams should be relegated to sleeping hours.
cornell for lacrosse, yale for crew,duke for hoops,

Everything you post is distorted in negative way. Nuff said.
not really, just sick of the juvenile rookie kool aid drinkers that have been asleep for years

Tell the BE hoops only catholics to go start their own league.

Why would they need to start their own league? They already have one called the Big East... and it's already well-known brand.

How did you turn this around and make it about me? My god, even on thanksgiving morning all you want to do is take cheap shots and derail this thread. Seriously, the Big East SUCKS. Sorry, when the flagship schools are USF, Cincy, UCONN, San Diego St and Houston...its bad. Really bad!! If the conference splits up and the b'ball only schools break away and keep the name THAT IS A GOOD THING!! That is what I am hoping for! Split up and move on with some dignity for crying out loud.

So on this Thanksgiving morning you can call me all the names you want if that makes ya feel better. But if you don't want to live in reality and realize that the Big East as it currently stands heading into 2013 is a laughingstock and a joke go for it! Keep defending them. Keep thinking they are getting this HUGE TV deal that will be better than any other conferences. And keep living in this fantasy world.

Nobody is happy the Big East is going to die, but its a reality. If you want to put you're head in the sand and ignore it...go for it!

It's like we know our father is dying, but his organs can be put to good use somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom