Report: Syracuse basketball gets home-and-home with Duke in ACC's 2018-19 schedule | Syracusefan.com

Report: Syracuse basketball gets home-and-home with Duke in ACC's 2018-19 schedule

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

DaauCrZVQAAw8hT.jpg

h/t Sarz

Duke and Clemson twice will be tough.

Does Clemson have a lot coming back next year? I haven't even looked at any rosters.

Does Clemson have a lot coming back next year? I haven't even looked at any rosters.

Clemson loses two of top 3 scorers. Top scorer has declared for NBA Draft (likely to come back). Also starting PG declared for NBA but likely returning.

Personally, I am not scared of Clemson. We beat them this year and this was their best team in years. It was arguably our least talented team in a while.

I'm not sure this is 100% right. Yes, UVa should play uke H&H, but we haven't had the H&H w/BC yet. We had one w/ND in the first year of expansion.

Really good schedule. Fair and provides a decent opportunity to pick up some road wins. I can see us finishing top 5.

If Tyus Battle’s back I expect an epic b* slapping at the Dome for Duke. This is the revenge tour for SU in the ACC

I'm not sure this is 100% right. Yes, UVa should play uke H&H, but we haven't had the H&H w/BC yet. We had one w/ND in the first year of expansion.
I agree we haven’t played NC State home/home yet.
It’s not a big deal to play them H/H but the rotation should be as even as possible.
If we play Duke H/H it would be the 3rd time. I hope we only play them once next year at home as the rotation would dictate but TV probably wants 2 matchups.

Good. The ACC is run by idiots if they can't see the value in this every year.
Oh, they see the value, but it's not fair. And if there is one thing the ACC values more than anything else in scheduling, tiebreakers, etc., it's fairness. That does that mean, however, every ref's call on Tobacco Road is correct. To be totally frank and honest here, one thing that left the pre-2003 ACC aghast about the BE was how there wasn't even scheduling, "that everyone got their turn" to play the top teams home and home. Potential unfounded rumor alert - We heard stories that Coach Boeheim did not want to play any games at VPI. Now while everyone at UVa would agree that it's horrible to be required to go to Bleaksburg, that just wouldn't happen in the culture of the ACC. UNC could not refuse to play in Tallahassee. Duke could not refuse to play in Clemson.

Our Dome schedule is so much better on the odd years. Now give us some Saturday night games and life is good.
It is so frustrating with the schedule. Last season there was only two Saturday home ACC games all season. Really hard to go to Cuse for the weekend when the games are on Sunday.

We have done well against Clemson. Pitt sucks. We are better than BC. We can beat Duke at home. I think we can go 7-1 in those games.

We also have fared well against teams like FSU at home, Louisville is in disarray. Think this could be a year where we lose no more than 2 games at home.

We have done well against Clemson. Pitt sucks. We are better than BC. We can beat Duke at home. I think we can go 7-1 in those games.

We also have fared well against teams like FSU at home, Louisville is in disarray. Think this could be a year where we lose no more than 2 games at home.

Not to mention Miami loses Newton/Walker/Brown and brings nobody in because of the FBI. They are a shell of themselves.

Oh, they see the value, but it's not fair. And if there is one thing the ACC values more than anything else in scheduling, tiebreakers, etc., it's fairness. That does that mean, however, every ref's call on Tobacco Road is correct. To be totally frank and honest here, one thing that left the pre-2003 ACC aghast about the BE was how there wasn't even scheduling, "that everyone got their turn" to play the top teams home and home. Potential unfounded rumor alert - We heard stories that Coach Boeheim did not want to play any games at VPI. Now while everyone at UVa would agree that it's horrible to be required to go to Bleaksburg, that just wouldn't happen in the culture of the ACC. UNC could not refuse to play in Tallahassee. Duke could not refuse to play in Clemson.

It's funny, I started to type a couple more sentences about fairness but then I started to ramble so I just deleted it and went with the one-line post.

Honestly, if greed is ruling the enterprise, with kids flying from Boston to Tallahassee in the middle of the semester, giant super-regional confederations without round robin play, etc., they might as well just give us the good TV matchups and abandon all pretense of fairness. Upper-echelon teams should get home-and-homes with peers. VPIs should stick to playing their kind. Maybe this could be done on a rotating basis, where the red-headed stepchild programs who finish near the top of the league get to play the big boys twice the next season and the good programs with bad records get relegated down to playing twice against the crap teams the next year. But apparently there's not much will to make that happen.

I agree we haven’t played NC State home/home yet.
It’s not a big deal to play them H/H but the rotation should be as even as possible.
If we play Duke H/H it would be the 3rd time. I hope we only play them once next year at home as the rotation would dictate but TV probably wants 2 matchups.

I’m on board with getting Duke home and home as often as possible - as long as they balance it out by also giving us the worst team in the league twice. Duke and Pitt for next year works for me. We’ve played Duke well overall, and had good games to watch against them.

Duke, UNC, Clemson on the road will be tough, but all in all, great home schedule, and seemingly pretty favorable overall, IMO.

Does this mean we'll have both Duke and UNC home next year, since we were at Duke this year?

Duke, UNC, Clemson on the road will be tough, but all in all, great home schedule, and seemingly pretty favorable overall, IMO.

Does this mean we'll have both Duke and UNC home next year, since we were at Duke this year?
Unlikely. They tend to follow trends even if that includes a year where you play them H/H.
We will be at Duke next year.

Even without him. No excuses. We're Syracuse, not some mid major.
When we get back to playing like Syracuse, I'll agree with you. Hopefully it's this year. Sports are like the stock market. Past performance does not guarantee future results.

BE basketball scheduling was not fair. The schedule catered to ESPN, was weighted towards having the big name schools play each other as much as possible, and really penalized the schools at the top by forcing them to play much tougher schedules than middle of the road BE schools.

If Syracuse didn't play as much as that dump in Blacksburg as VT fans wanted, it wasn't because JB refused to go there.

It was because Syracuse was being booked in more marketable games against real D1 programs with real D1 talent. No one wants to watch games played in Blacksburg, where there has never been and never will be an important game in ACC men's basketball. The Hokie fans and athletic department have only themselves to blame for being an embarrassment to the game.

That being said, that was back in the days when the BE still existed. Today, VT has progressed to become mediocre. Congratulations to them on that, though I must point out that their arena is still a dump and Blacksburg unfortunately remains in Blacksburg.