Restore 44...the Argument for Why it should Not be Retired | Syracusefan.com

Restore 44...the Argument for Why it should Not be Retired

Van111

Starter
There are alot of numbers associated in sports that have so much meaning and when you see them you associate the number with the person that wore it. And when you have someone of the Caliber of Babe Ruth and his No. 3 and Lou Gehrig and his No. 4 in Baseball, a Bobbie Orr's No. 4 or a Wayne Gretsky's No. 99, John Elways No. 7 or Unitas's No. 19, or Michael Jordans No. 23 and Magic Johnson's No. 32 where the number defined these individuals over decades to the immortals that they are today, I would say you have one hell of an argument why the number belongs retired.

Now, the No. 44, arguably the most famous number in College Football was retired by Syracuse. It was worn by two hall of fame NFL players and arguably the best RB ever to play the game, it was worn by a shy young man that didn't feel worthy of wearing Jim Brown's No., all the way through SU's lone NC in 1959 and to the first ever black player Hiesman Trophy winner in 61. It was worn with pride by many members over a 40+ year period and symbolized Syracuse Football. So much so, every time I see a 44 on any player, I associate it, not with 1 player, like I do with say the "Babe" or the "Iron Horse", but with the University of Syracuse. As a kid going to games since the 70's, it was alwyas quite the anticipation to see if the No. 44 was going to be worn or given to a player, and watching it come on to the field always sent tremble's down my spine, for it was a rallying focal point for players and fans a like. I was at the WV/SU game when No. 44 scored on a two point conversion to propell SU football under Coach Mac to a major bowl and a chance for another NC. Seeing that number score flooded the memories of all what "44" meant to the University.

Now, the number 44 shouldn't be just handed out, or used as a recruiting tool. It must be earned. So, in light of what Syracuse is all about, I am looking for your thoughts and comments that supprt the Restore 44, when the time is right, and thier is a worthy carrier, so that we can continue to return this storied program back to revelance, hopefully led by a captain worthy of No.44

No. 44 shouldn't be retired, the Doom should have the "44 ring of fame" for all those that have and will wear the No. 44 that define Syracuse University as an Elite inovator in leadership, athletics and academics.

Restore 44

imagesCAQYZ8IR.jpg
In Case you need some encouragement!

It definitely should be restored, but the requirement I would place on it would be that it can only be worn by a senior captain with RB being the first choice if one of the captains is a RB, but other than that it should be worn by a senior captain.

Should the Yankees force Curtis Granderson to switch to #3, or Robbie Cano to #4?

You want to honor Brown / Davis / Little ... keep it retired.

It definitely should be restored, but the requirement I would place on it would be that it can only be worn by a senior captain with RB being the first choice if one of the captains is a RB, but other than that it should be worn by a senior captain.

It became legendary as a number that was given to a freshman. It's our greatest recruiting tool, use it as such to an outstanding running back recruit out of the same mold.

Gotta love March football conversations...
Restore44 threads...Facilities Updates threads...obscure recruiting updates...

It became legendary as a number that was given to a freshman. It's our greatest recruiting tool, use it as such to an outstanding running back recruit out of the same mold.

If it's our greatest recruiting tool, how come SU has not signed a 5-star RB since Floyd Little?

And most of the RB's who do sign with SU don't want to wear it.

If it's our greatest recruiting tool, how come SU has not signed a 5-star RB since Floyd Little?

And most of the RB's who do sign with SU don't want to wear it.
I agree it is not our greatest recruiting tool. I suspect in fact that it has not been used in well over a decade.

That doesn't mean it can't be something that helps land recruits, or helps provide an incentive for players already on the team to shoot for. Especially in light of the movie "The Express" that brought the Syracuse 44 Legend to the fore for many young players. The Express has been mentioned as a reason a number of recent football recruits selected Syracuse.

5 star running backs didn't exist when Floyd Little was in HS but players like Mandel Robinson, Michael Owens and Rob Konrad were all HS All Americans. All of them were aware of the 44 tradition at Syracuse, all wanted to wear 44 and all got their wish. None were at the level of Brown/Davis/Little but the fact is that some extremely highly regarded HS running backs have wanted to wear the number. Even before The Express.

I don't think unleaching the Legend of 44 is going to change the world of college football recruiting but it can be something that can be used to help get certain top notch high school running backs.

Actually, Konrad only requested #44 because it was his HS number.

I don't really trust kids these days to respect the number the way Ernie and Floyd respected the number. Can you imagine the ESPN headlines if a highly rated freshman or sophomore RB screwed up big time off the field? It should only be an honor bestowed upon kids who have earned it and have shown they are responsible aka captains. If they don't want to wear the number then nobody will wear the number that season.

If Brown and Little want it un-retired...un-retire it.

Fine un-retire it. Just don't give it anyone please. Brown, Little, and Davis were extraordinary athletes who not only had to excel on the field, but off it as well. They excelled during a time where they had to break through a lot more than just LBs and DL. What those 3 achieved at Syracuse is very historically significant and because of that the number deservers a very special place in history and in the rafters, not on some kid who wouldn't understand what he is signifying. Think of Delone Carter. Would his junior performance been enough to warrant giving him the number? If you say yes, and he was a perfect role model for 3 years, how would you feel if the latest recipient punched some kid over a snowball throwing incident. That isn't the kind of men that legendary 3 were. The game has changed, today's youth has changed, and nobody will show the same respect those guys did.

That's so obviously the right answer I can't imagine being against it'

Retiring it was a harebrained scheme from "Hollywood" Gros, who was clueless at the time about SU traditions. He also honored the players who quit the 1970 squad in one of the zaniest pieces of logic ever from an AD.

I was at the SU-JHU lacrosse game on Saturday and running around the field was yet another #22 ... another great SU number.

Should the Yankees force Curtis Granderson to switch to #3, or Robbie Cano to #4?

You want to honor Brown / Davis / Little ... keep it retired.

Offering a number based upon a player's quality on/off the field and forcing someone to wear a number are two different things. I truly find it hard to believe that an upperclassmen wouldn't be honored to be offered to wear the number, whether or not they ultimately decided to wear it.

Secondly, the whole mystique about the 44 was the fact that it was a living legend, handed on to the next great back...not that it was supposed to be a number noone could ever wear again hanging up on a pedestal. The greatness in the 44 is not only who wore it, but who can continue the legacy in the future.

The tradition of #44 was unique in college football, which made it special. Now it is simply a retired number, no different than numbers retired at countless of other schools. In terms of honoring past greats who wore the number, I would expect the tradition and the past players would be discussed more if a current player was wearing the number.

I say give it to Macky, that ought to make things fun around here!

I don't know how I feel about it to be honest. I agree that it should be up to Brown and Little and held only for a huge impact guy.

The tradition of #44 was unique in college football, which made it special. Now it is simply a retired number, no different than numbers retired at countless of other schools. In terms of honoring past greats who wore the number, I would expect the tradition and the past players would be discussed more if a current player was wearing the number.
I couldn't agree more. How quick we all forget. This is Michael Owens....

Tell me 44 coming around the corner in a miraculous fashion means nothing....then maybe we should just retire the whole program so we can remember them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom