Retire Stephen Thompson's Number | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Retire Stephen Thompson's Number

I love Thompson, but it is hard to make a case for him when he was never better than the third best player on his teams. I recognize how unfair that is when you consider with whom he was playing.

The switch to point guard thing is overrated since that experiment failed and he didn't play the point much once the season got going.

He had betters stats than Louis Orr, whose number is retired. Dominant defensive player. Averaged 14.1, 18 and 17.8 ppg in his final three years. I think he qualifies.

Burgan had a nice career, but he's not at that level.
Todd had a nice year. Besides Keith Hughes was the biggest gunner we ever had. Well JG3 can jack up really bad shots and he is only one year in. He needs to ice his wrist or Kadary will take over sooner than expected..

Look, this isn't close. Rudy Hackett has to be the next player jersey retired. He was fantastic. Look up his stats. He led us to our first final four. And here are his stats. Soph season 12.1 pts per game and 9.7 rebounds a game. Jr Year 16.8 pts per game and 11.7 rebounds a game And sr year 22.2 pts per game and 12.7 rebounds a game. It is a disgrace that his jersey hasn't been honored. And the only reason is that he didn't play for head coach JB instead of ass't coach JB.

I love Stevie Thompson, but I checked this thread just to see if anybody mentioned Rudy Hackett.

I'm willing to die on the Rudy Hackett hill! What is taking so long to retire his jersey? The guy put up better numbers than Carmelo Anthony while leading a much less talented team to the final 4. He probably should have been the second guy to get his number retired behind Bing.

Whenever I meet anybody in power in the athletic department I ask why Rudy's number has not been retired and I've never gotten a satisfactory answer. Was he a serial killer or something? Why are they not honoring a guy that put up 22 and 13 while leading an undersized SU team to the final 4?

I wasn't alive to see Rudy Hackett play, but at this point when they do retire his jersey I'll go to the game and celebrate like he was my own father.

Stevie was one of the "worse" free throw shooting G/ to ever play at SU. However, he is still one of the best players ever to be on the dome floor!
Yeah, those teams could struggle to close-out games because of their poor free throw shooting. Thompson was a big part of that.
I still loved him.

Crazy Cliff Warwell or bust!

Seriously, the following deserve consideration IMO (in no particular order):

Hakim Warrick
Leo Rautins
Jimmy Lee
Rudy Hackett
Stevie Thompson
Jason Hart
Marty Byrnes
Danny Schayes
Preston Shumpert
Red Autry
Demitris Nichols
Dale Shackleford
Todd Burgan

I'm sure there are many more, but these were off the top of my head.

This is going to come across a lot harsher than how I intend, but most of those players don't remotely belong on a list to have their jerseys retired. It has to mean something special, and be extremely selective.

This is going to come across a lot harsher than how I intend, but most of those players don't remotely belong on a list to have their jerseys retired. It has to mean something special, and be extremely selective.
That's why I said 'consideration'.

Although most, if not all, a 4 year letter winners.

There’s three players who should eventually have their jerseys retired. They are Hackett, GMAC and Warrick. I don’t see anyone else on that list who should be honored. They are all very good players, but not everyone should have their numbers retired. Etan and Jimmy Lee would be the closest.

Love Stevie. But at some point you have to calm down or they all don't mean as much.

I could get on board for an Erik Rogers jersey hanging up though.

Crazy Cliff Warwell or bust!

Seriously, the following deserve consideration IMO (in no particular order):

Hakim Warrick
Leo Rautins
Jimmy Lee
Rudy Hackett
Stevie Thompson
Jason Hart
Marty Byrnes
Danny Schayes
Preston Shumpert
Red Autry
Demitris Nichols
Dale Shackleford
Todd Burgan

I'm sure there are many more, but these were off the top of my head.
I'm sure it was just an oversight but Santifer has to be there if Red and Leo are. Another name I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if I missed it) is Raf Addison. Hackett, Warrick, Thompson, Addison and Santifer would be my next group. Santifer and Stevie were essentially the same player with eerily similar stats (obviously Santifer was a better shooter and Stevie had him on D). Patience. Look how long it took Louie and Bouie to get there! Looking at the current list...it's pretty selective. Most of those players "defined an era."

I wouldn't object if Thompson was chosen. He is our #7 all time leading scorer - not too shabby. He was just overshadowed by Sherm, DC and Billy which shows just how good those teams were. One thing I do consider in Thompson's favor is the academic part. From everything I have heard, he was a true student athlete. When considering retiring a number, it shouldn't be a deal breaker but I personally count that as a point on the positiive side

I love Stevie Thompson, but I checked this thread just to see if anybody mentioned Rudy Hackett.

I'm willing to die on the Rudy Hackett hill! What is taking so long to retire his jersey? The guy put up better numbers than Carmelo Anthony while leading a much less talented team to the final 4. He probably should have been the second guy to get his number retired behind Bing.

Whenever I meet anybody in power in the athletic department I ask why Rudy's number has not been retired and I've never gotten a satisfactory answer. Was he a serial killer or something? Why are they not honoring a guy that put up 22 and 13 while leading an undersized SU team to the final 4?

I wasn't alive to see Rudy Hackett play, but at this point when they do retire his jersey I'll go to the game and celebrate like he was my own father.
And Rudy even coached for us a little bit!

Here's the list of retired Jerseys:

4: Rony Seikaly (January 13, 2007)
8: Vic Hanson (December 19, 1981)
15: Carmelo Anthony (February 23, 2013)
17: Billy Gabor(March 1, 2009)
19: Wilmeth Sidat-Singh (February 26, 2005)
20: Sherman Douglas (March 9, 2003)
21: Lawrence Moten (March 3, 2018)
22: Dave Bing (December 19, 1981
22: Dennis DuVal (January 6, 2018)
30: Billy Owens (March 8, 2008)
31: Dwayne "Pearl" Washington (March 2, 1996)
44: Derrick Coleman (March 6, 2006)
44: John Wallace (February 29, 2020)
50: Roosevelt Bouie (February 21, 2015)
55: Louis Orr (February 21, 2015)
They really should be honored jerseys.

Rudy Hackett and Jimmy Lee together gets my vote.
Remembering how that team got to the final 4, Lee and Hackett played out of their minds. And bug Williams getting the ball up the floor to Rudy for the win in 5 seconds.

Remembering how that team got to the final 4, Lee and Hackett played out of their minds. And bug Williams getting the ball up the floor to Rudy for the win in 5 seconds.
DON'T CALL ME BUG! ;)

Here's the list of retired Jerseys:

4: Rony Seikaly (January 13, 2007)
8: Vic Hanson (December 19, 1981)
15: Carmelo Anthony (February 23, 2013)
17: Billy Gabor(March 1, 2009)
19: Wilmeth Sidat-Singh (February 26, 2005)
20: Sherman Douglas (March 9, 2003)
21: Lawrence Moten (March 3, 2018)
22: Dave Bing (December 19, 1981
22: Dennis DuVal (January 6, 2018)
30: Billy Owens (March 8, 2008)
31: Dwayne "Pearl" Washington (March 2, 1996)
44: Derrick Coleman (March 6, 2006)
44: John Wallace (February 29, 2020)
50: Roosevelt Bouie (February 21, 2015)
55: Louis Orr (February 21, 2015)
So happy they finally got Moten and Wallace up there. They were years overdue. Hak and Gmac should be next. After that, I think Stevie, Rudy Hackett and Jim Lee have serious cases to be made.

From the pre-Boeheim, pre-Bing era, shouldn't Vince Cohen be up there?

I just saw this...after I posted about Rudy, whose jersey should absolutely be retired.