Ribbon boards | Syracusefan.com

Ribbon boards

Rocco

Watching you.
I wasn't able to go to the game yesterday, but you could really see how nice the ribbon boards look on an ABC broadcast. They really make the Dome look "official" and are no longer stuck in the 80's. It adds a certain level of excitement and vibe to the overall game atmosphere.

+1 to Pete Sala and the everyone else involved.

I wasn't able to go to the game yesterday, but you could really see how nice the ribbon boards look on an ABC broadcast. They really make the Dome look "official" and are no longer stuck in the 80's. It adds a certain level of excitement and vibe to the overall game atmosphere.

+1 to Pete Sala and the everyone else involved.

But...but...they're all ads! :p

they are still used like they have no idea why they are there.. game scores for bball games with names so messed up it was like playing boggle. they didnt even give the scores for the BE games most of the day.

But...but...they're all ads! :p

They add nothing for the fans even though they were advertised to do so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I have been to 3 games this season. I noticed the ribbon boards the first game since they were new and have not noticed them since.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Let me just say, I have had an inexplicable urge to go see Billy Fucillo after watching the games on TV. This is odd because I live in North Carolina.

Makes the place look a million times better in person and on TV. Great addition to the Dome! But as a fan at the games in person I ignore the ribbon boards really because there is no reason to pay attention to it.

They can work on that. I am simply talking about adding some life to the Dome games being broadcast on national TV.

Next up is painting the silver seats orange.

If regular TV worked like their ribbon boards the only thing on TV would be commercials and people wouldn't watch TV. If they were smart they would treat the ribbon boards like TV and radio; have information people care about so they watch the ribbon boards and then sprinkle in the advertising.

So there's like no cheer graphics? Whole thing sounds pretty lame. It'd be cool if they did something with the roster at the beginning of games.

So there's like no cheer graphics? Whole thing sounds pretty lame. It'd be cool if they did something with the roster at the beginning of games.
There definitely is. Noise meter, animations of the players trying to pump up the crowd. There is more on them than just advertising. The roster is announced on the big screens so no need for them on the boards.

For the fan, it is lame. They pop something on there a few times a game but it is 99% ads. Hope they make significant coin off them otherwise they just brighten the place up.

For the fan, it is lame. They pop something on there a few times a game but it is 99% ads. Hope they make significant coin off them otherwise they just brighten the place up.

That's all they really need to do. If people want to read stuff, bring a book.

One could argue that they are creating an increase from standard ad revenues, and those ad revenues (once they offset the cost of the ribbon boards themselves and the operation costs) will be used to improve other facilities, and those other facilities will be used to bring in better players, and those better players will add something for the fans.

Run on sentence aside, you could argue it. It's a stretch, more like a leap. Maybe when the ACC conference revenues roll in, we'll need less ads, and the ribbon can actually show something people would like to see.

One could argue that they are creating an increase from standard ad revenues, and those ad revenues (once they offset the cost of the ribbon boards themselves and the operation costs) will be used to improve other facilities, and those other facilities will be used to bring in better players, and those better players will add something for the fans.

Run on sentence aside, you could argue it. It's a stretch, more like a leap. Maybe when the ACC conference revenues roll in, we'll need less ads, and the ribbon can actually show something people would like to see.

I don't believe SU paid anything for the boards; they were paid by Pepsi in return for SU making Pepsi the official soft drink of the school. My understanding is that all SU's athletic facilities received or will receive new scoreboards as a result of this.

You see a lot of the Pepsi logo at SU events now, and if you are thirsty, you aren't going to have a chance to buy a Coke. Small price to pay, even if Pepsi has no ginger ale product at this time.

Overall, this was a great move by Dr Gross. The handling of the new scoreboards was a complete mess the first few games but it has gotten better over time. They at least have started to show some stats on a small part of the ribbon scoreboard on occasion.

I hope they continue to improve things; they are not where they should be and as others say, if you work in some useful information, people will be more likely to notice the ads on the boards.

Things are really bad for basketball. Right now, the new boards provide significantly less value than the old ones did. They have already made some progress here. Hope they continue to work on it and realize the full potential of the wonderful equipment they have to work with.

I get that they're advertising. That's fine. My problem is that if they aren't doing anything "cool" with them now, it's 100% guaranteed that they will never be.

Also, Pepsi sucks. :(

I could care less what they say or how they're used but they make the place look better. i think my 9 year old went and downloaded the syracuse football news app or something because he saw it scrolling on the ribbon.

i like the ribbons, i could care less that they dont do anything cool, they update the carrier dome. It gives it a wow factor. The ribbons will get better as they learn how to use them. Anyone notice if the actually accounced advertising has gone down?

Oh and Pepsi rules

That'd be nice, but they're never going to turn down revenue. They'll keep maxing out the ads while enjoying the ACC money.

i like the ribbons, i could care less that they dont do anything cool, they update the carrier dome. It gives it a wow factor. The ribbons will get better as they learn how to use them. Anyone notice if the actually accounced advertising has gone down?

Oh and Pepsi rules

I'm pretty sure advertising was the same at the one basketball exhibition I went to.

Seems to be a little less frequent at football games, but can't be sure.

I am so advertised out that I am numb when I go to a game. Thank god the dome serves beer to ease the pain. Now if they can get rid of mr excitement because he in my opinion is worse than the advertising itself. That and the lame ass cheerleader "let's...go...s...u" cheer that they do. By far the worst cheer in college athletics and it needs to stop. I'd rather hit my with a tack hammer repeatedly than participate in that cheer.

Makes the place look a million times better in person and on TV. Great addition to the Dome! But as a fan at the games in person I ignore the ribbon boards really because there is no reason to pay attention to it.

I agree with Stern. The dome looked sterile before and if you had to make a film of SU out of the 70s/80s time period. Now the place has the "bling" effect...tell me who watches the crap at other stadiums - but they all have the bling factor going for them.

The most important upgrade though was the new scoreboards - now I can see everything from anywhere in the dome either directly or on video. Combined with the ribbon - smart move to just bring the dome into the 21st century! Also the food is better this year (even though I think its more expensive like the beer).

Last thing to upgrade - the sound system - still really bad in my view including listening to refs - cant here them when they make a call.

If Coke made them, there'd be no ads and we'd be 10-0. Nassib would be the Heisman leader. And we wouldn't have room for EO.

Love the ribbons. But they have to scroll the text to the left. Some ads go to the right and I get motion sickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom