Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz

I actually kind of feel bad for the kids that committed a week ago to Miami for a different coach not knowing the situation. If that were my son I’d want him to decommitt from Miami immediately and play somewhere else...just my opinion

I actually kind of feel bad for the kids that committed a week ago to Miami for a different coach not knowing the situation. If that were my son I’d want him to decommitt from Miami immediately and play somewhere else...just my opinion
I feel bad for the kids who signed at Temple.

If you commit, you can always decommitt. If you sign your NLI, you're SOL.

I think dino would crush it there but just mho
Dino would crush it anywhere.
He is the real deal.
The problem with Miami is their fans expect NCs they see 8-4 as a failure.
Plus they don’t fillup their stadium.
Dino wouldn’t create a legacy at Miami without NCs.
Here all he needs to do is be consistent top 25 and we are happy.

Yeah he did say that however did he actually ever interview? If you aren’t first or second on the list for Ohio State then you aren’t getting the job...who in the right mind would turn down Ohio State job? My point is just because he was on the list doesn’t mean he was as serious a candidate as you suggest the AD could also be throwing names out to cover his own ass

All I said is what the article says: “consideration”. Whatever that means, it’s what the article says. I never said “serious”

I know they were having a good season last year so it probably helped and we were playing well at the time so that may have contributed but that hard rock stadium was pretty full when we played there last year. The problem I heard from coaches there when we visited was getting students to travel the hour to the game. It’s a very nice stadium just off campus. The facilities were decent.. not as good as Syracuse not as bad as bc. I’d say the big problem for any coach taking that job is booster and former player interference. Manny taking over will be a nightmare for their compliance manager

Because a bunch of assistant coaches were hired to move to Philadelphia, quit their existing jobs to join his staff, and he quit after only 2 weeks to go back to his old job. He screwed a BUNCH of people. That's why.

He’s not going back to his old job.

Because a bunch of assistant coaches were hired to move to Philadelphia, quit their existing jobs to join his staff, and he quit after only 2 weeks to go back to his old job. He screwed a BUNCH of people. That's why.

Boo hoo. The assistants signed contracts. They’ll get paid. Some will go with him to Miami, others will land at another school. Everyone will walk away from this just fine. That’s why contracts are written with buyouts. Was he supposed to walk away from a way better opportunity and way more money?

Diaz screwed no one.
He is complying with the liquidated damages in his contract.
Temple is being made whole.
Miami HC job > Temple HC job.
Diaz is paying Temple to get out of his contract. I am sure the recruits who signed will be allowed out of NLIs and the assistants will be fine.

Josh McDaniels with the Colts did way worse last year.

It irks me that schools (fans) who have had past glory (Miami, Louisville to a lesser extent) think that Dino would go running to them. The perception is that Syracuse is a lesser school when the truth is that from a football standpoint they are our peers.

It irks me that schools (fans) who have had past glory (Miami, Louisville to a lesser extent) think that Dino would go running to them. The perception is that Syracuse is a lesser school when the truth is that from a football standpoint they are our peers.
Meh, we have longer tradition than UM, but they have had substantial modern era success. That’s not to say they don’t take a nose dive. But UM still carries more cache than SU. L’Ville does not.

Will be interesting to see if Diaz keeps the entire current staff or brings in new blood

Will be interesting to see if Diaz keeps the entire current staff or brings in new blood

Don't think he will keep entire current staff since supposedly one of the reasons for the Richt resignation is that the AD wanted major changes to that staff.

Cheers,
Neil

Miami has fertile talent grounds. thats why fans would think dino would go running to them.

I keep reading down here in South Florida that Manny Diaz is a great defensive mind but I think his defense is so so. Also, not everyone in Cane land is happy about this hire. Go CUSE!!!

Don't think he will keep entire current staff since supposedly one of the reasons for the Richt resignation is that the AD wanted major changes to that staff.

Cheers,
Neil
Plus it would be a huge FU to guys he hired in Philly if he didn’t take at least a couple of them with him to Miami.

How could the AD at Miami have no idea that Richt was thinking about this? And once it happened there really was only one solid choice for them to make and that was Kiffin. I mean, he already is in south Florida, has been a head coach at 3 schools and has a strong team at FIU. Yeah, he's crazy, but that seems to be one of the requirements for the job. I'm sure he has learned some things along the way and maybe is a little more under control. The whole thing is a huge fail by the Miami AD. Temple comes out the winner with $6.5 million and what they have designated already to spend on a coach, they could really go after a name coach to try to jump their program up tp the next level.

Miami has fertile talent grounds. thats why fans would think dino would go running to them.

Exactly, Miami will always be an appealing job because coaches know how much talent is nearby and how badly so many people in that area want Miami to be "the U" again. It's also a P5 job in a weak divison in what is one of the most vibrant cities in the country.

The right coach could get Miami back to a perennial CFP contender pretty quickly. Their recent hires just haven't been good ones.

Boo hoo. The assistants signed contracts. They’ll get paid. Some will go with him to Miami, others will land at another school. Everyone will walk away from this just fine. That’s why contracts are written with buyouts. Was he supposed to walk away from a way better opportunity and way more money?

Well...yeah.

I'm coming down on the side of Diaz right now, don't get me wrong. A lot of us have been in the position of taking a new job, then having a "dream" offer come in and being forced to make a tough decision. It's self-interested, but it's relatable and in my opinion it's ethical.

But let's not pretend that staying put at Temple and honoring the commitment wasn't also be a perfectly reasonable and defensible option.

Maybe it works out for Temple and they go after Kiffin. They are building a new stadium and could make a bid to be in a bigger conference when realignment comes. He can recruit Sofla and Pa-Jersey-DMV and give PSU a problem.