Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz

Why not Scott Shafer right?
You are very dogmatic. I would like to see what an offense like Kiffins or Babers paired with a SS defense philosophy would look like in practice.

Maybe it works out for Temple and they go after Kiffin. They are building a new stadium and could make a bid to be in a bigger conference when realignment comes. He can recruit Sofla and Pa-Jersey-DMV and give PSU a problem.

You may be right and with the buyouts Temple has money to throw around. Maybe it is just me, but I cant see Mr and Mrs Kiffin leaving Boca for North Philly. Again I may be proved wrong, but doesn't fit in my brain.

Layla-Kiffin-Lane-Kiffin.jpg

You may be right and with the buyouts Temple has money to throw around. Maybe it is just me, but I cant see Mr and Mrs Kiffin leaving Boca for North Philly. Again I may be proved wrong, but doesn't fit in my brain.

Layla-Kiffin-Lane-Kiffin.jpg
They got divorced back in 2016

Miami and Temple play each other to start the 2020 season. Bad blood.

This didn't take long. From THE ATHLETIC moments ago

One wildcard that might intrigue Miami folks is Syracuse’s Dino Babers, who has invigorated what was a dud of a program. Babers has an exciting offensive system and persona. He just led the Orange to a 10-win season in Year 3 there, after winning big at Bowling Green (and that program sunk after he left). Babers’ first head coaching job was at FCS Eastern Illinois, which he lead to a 12-win season in his second year after taking over a two-win program. That’s also where he turned Jimmy Garroppollo into an NFL prospect.

was that written by Thamel?

He isn't. Check out this link. Many enthusiastic fans of Dino there.

Eye in the Sky

Of interest is this post, from a guy claiming to know a big Cuse booster in the Miami area.

CaneSwag1995 said:
I’m going to one of the biggest Syracuse donor’s house in 45 min. He’s extremely plugged in because of how much he contributes. If he’s heard anything about Babers, he’ll let me know because he likes Miami, too. He was roommates with a bunch of staff members on Butch’s staff when he lived in South Florida. I’m not one to play insider, but I’ll tell you guys if he’s heard anything.

Okay, update:

The guy I spoke to said the feelings are mixed internally about how much of a threat Miami is here.

Some have conceded that Miami is a better job, and that if Babers wants to win at the highest level, he will consider Miami. He can’t compete for titles at Cuse, and he knows that.

The main issue for Miami is paying him enough to leave a program he’s proud of building. He just got a big contract extension, so it’s going to take a lot of cash to lure him away. It’s defintely a possibility, but Miami is going to have to throw the kitchen sink at him financially.

Overall, he’s very happy at Syrscuse, but every coach, especially somebody as passionate and competitive as him, wants to win titles. Babers knows Miami gives him that shot.

He’s going to do more digging and keep me updated, but as it stands right now, Miami has a shot, which has many Syracuse donors and officials terrified.
Three hours later, they hire the DC. Classic :)

Exactly, Miami will always be an appealing job because coaches know how much talent is nearby and how badly so many people in that area want Miami to be "the U" again. It's also a P5 job in a weak divison in what is one of the most vibrant cities in the country.

The right coach could get Miami back to a perennial CFP contender pretty quickly. Their recent hires just haven't been good ones.

I doubt they are ever the U again. The school looks down on the image the football team brought. They do not have a lot of money to spend on coaches or facilities. So keeping a HC and/or assistants won’t be easy. In the past they were only great when they cheated. In addition they could take any kid when they were an Indy or in the Big East. The ACC has standards for entry. They are a 9-4 type of program with a decent HC. It will take a great HC to get them to become a consistent playoff contender.

I doubt they are ever the U again. The school looks down on the image the football team brought. They do not have a lot of money to spend on coaches or facilities. So keeping a HC and/or assistants won’t be easy. In the past they were only great when they cheated. In addition they could take any kid when they were an Indy or in the Big East. The ACC has standards for entry. They are a 9-4 type of program with a decent HC. It will take a great HC to get them to become a consistent playoff contender.
To go further on what you've posted. The school is totally different now than it was in the days of "Da U". To most of their fans, Donna Shalala is the devil. To most of their alums, she great because she started them on the road to being more than a "Suntan U" and got rid of the thug image. The days of Johnson, Erickson, and Davis are not coming back. Nevin Shapiro is not writing checks anymore. I'd be very surprised if Luther Campbell is even allowed on campus. What Coker (who won with Davis' players), Shannon, Golden, and Richt did is the new norm and they need to get used to it.

Last edited:

Yea just like any elite program a huge and overlooked piece is that the administration has to want to be a dominant football progrm in order for the program to do so. That means giving the right amount of resources. Dabo, Saban, Urban all great coaches but they also have/had complete and full backing from their schools to give them whatever it is they need to be at that level.

Miami has plenty of tailwinds but like you said if they don't want to spend money then it doesn't really matter. ACC academically is good but it isn't the Ivy League and Clemson and FSU get plenty of high level athletes so I don't think that really matters.

Exactly, Miami will always be an appealing job because coaches know how much talent is nearby and how badly so many people in that area want Miami to be "the U" again. It's also a P5 job in a weak divison in what is one of the most vibrant cities in the country.

The right coach could get Miami back to a perennial CFP contender pretty quickly. Their recent hires just haven't been good ones.
Miami was a sweet program because of the recruiting back in the 80s and 90s prior to the "nuclear arms race in athletics" but it's my understanding that they have fallen way behind there. In order for Miami to be viewed as a Premier program again like say Bama they better be ready to invest and invest big. Now if Diaz can sell the snake oil great for him but his predecessors all said the exact same thing about keeping the talent at home dating back to Coker who is really the last successful coach there and none of them have been able to do it. It will be interesting to see if this guy is somehow different. It still feels like a "panic" hire to me. A program like that should have gone through a process. It sounds like they didn't.

Miami was a sweet program because of the recruiting back in the 80s and 90s prior to the "nuclear arms race in athletics" but it's my understanding that they have fallen way behind there. In order for Miami to be viewed as a Premier program again like say Bama they better be ready to invest and invest big. Now if Diaz can sell the snake oil great for him but his predecessors all said the exact same thing about keeping the talent at home dating back to Coker who is really the last successful coach there and none of them have been able to do it. It will be interesting to see if this guy is somehow different. It still feels like a "panic" hire to me. A program like that should have gone through a process. It sounds like they didn't.

Yea this hire is odd. Seems like a panic, comfort zone hire which rarely works out. If the school doesn't care if their program is elite then it never will be. They'd have to make those investments but all the talent they could ask for is nearby with many of those kids high school and youth coaches wanting Miami to be back.

Some similarities to the SS hire following Marrone’s unexpected departure, although at least SU didn’t have to pay $4 mm for the privilege.

Name another school(other than Syracuse) that played two of the four schools competing for the National Championship?
thats my point, thank you! I wouldn't call that schedule great i call it tough. By great the author means "soft"

To go further on what you've posted. The school is totally different now than it was in the days of "Da U". To most of their fans, Donna Shalala is the devil. To most of their alums, she great because she started them on the road to being more than a "Suntan U" and got rid of the thug image. The days of Johnson, Erickson, and Davis are not coming back. Nevin Shapiro is not writing checks anymore. I'd be very surprised if Luther Campbell is even allowed on campus. What Coker (who won with Davis' players), Shannon, Golden, and Richt did is the new norm and they need to get used to it.
Ironically the school was never referred to as “The U” during the 80’s and 90’s. I think it started in the early 2000’s. I do remember Shalala in a commercial for the school referring to it as “The U.”

It was always referred to as “UM” before the U hype.

You are very dogmatic. I would like to see what an offense like Kiffins or Babers paired with a SS defense philosophy would look like in practice.
Every time I see a team struggling defensively, for example Oklahoma, I immediately think they should be on the phone to SS. Maybe I remember his defenses too fondly and just want the best for a former Cuse coach

My prediction is miami hires sarkasian as oc. Just a guess.
Definitely a high risk, high reward possibility. I think he targets someone who is less risk. I could see someone off the Briles tree or such. He will most definitely hire someone who can sell a high octane approach to the recruits in that market.

My prediction is miami hires sarkasian as oc. Just a guess.
Interesting. After I saw he got fired earlier, I thought maybe he might retire. The job is demanding enough on it's own and then add In his personal struggles.

Coker took Butch Davis’ loaded recruits and was able to win a NC because they were basically a pro team. Best OLine in the history of college football.

When Butch left for the Browns job, Ken Dorsey and a few other of the top returning juniors went into the AD’s office and said hire Coker or we’re all going pro. These guys didn’t want a new coach changing their system and Coker was liked by the players. So Coker got the job and the players delivered a National Championship.

Coker didn’t last more than a couple of years after all of Butch’s recruits were no longer on the roster. Started losing out to UF, who went on to have some dominant years.

UM football really ain’t been the same since. Lost the Orange Bowl. On campus facilities are dated. School has increased its academic desires, reducing admission of marginal recruits. The list goes on as to why they’ve been down over the past 15 years. They had a good year last year, but if you go back and look a lot of it was due to a weak schedule and winning some very close games.