RIP Bill Walton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bill Walton

So many Thursday nights staying up for the late P12 game just to listen to him. Don't normally get too upset over celeb deaths but this one hurts. Such an awesome dude.
Same, they dont usually bother me but when guys like this go it stings, mainly because of the positive impact he had to the game and just life in general.

When the worst thing that can be said about a guy is that "he's annoying", that is a 100% dude right there. I hope wherever he goes that his body is in perfect shape and he can play again.

RIP Bill, smoking one with ya now big man.

Last edited:
If I was flipping through channels and came across a random game that Walton was calling that I otherwise didn’t care about, I would stop and listen because I simply couldn’t get enough of his sense of humor. I’ve never felt that way about any other broadcaster.

I will genuinely miss him. The world was better with him.

Nba All Star Sport GIF by NBA

Loved Bill Walton.
As a player, one of the most fundamentally sound as a young guy that I can remember. He was drop-step Kevin McHale on steroids.
Watched him out of HS, and at UCLA as "the next Alcindor", but he quickly became the first Walton.
Growing up, I was a big fan during the 88-game win streak vs David Thompson's NC State, and Keith Lee's Memphis State teams.
As a character outside of the sport, he was unique and always himself. There was no phony in Bill Walton.
RIP Big Red.

Last edited:
Reviewing his background, what an amazing life (and family). Father was a teacher and mother a librarian ... a background that informed Bill's (sometimes discursive) broadcast style, full of personal anecdotes and erudite references. He was coached at an early age by Rocky Graciano and later at UCLA by John Wooden. Didn't graduate but attended law school for two years while in the NBA. Talented player and colorful commentator who lived life to the fullest. RIP.

Last edited:
So many Thursday nights staying up for the late P12 game just to listen to him. Don't normally get too upset over celeb deaths but this one hurts. Such an awesome dude.
He was the best. Loved Bill and his spirit.
Last season during the Maui tournament I think it was charminade . Walton with a classic
Chaminade mounting a heroic comeback cuts it to 37 with 4 to play! Something like that.
Geez so young . Heaven just got a great one.

Amazing person, player and lust for life. He was so saddened by the PAC 12 coming to an end. RIP

RIP. Great player and personality. He will. Be missed.

Totally unique. Loved life and lived it on his terms. Loved his reverence for Wooden. I was at the 21 for 22 game against Memphis St- lots of quick turn around jumpers with perfect form. Totally about the team. And his announcing! No one better. Who knows how good he would have been if it wasn’t for the injuries- first few years were superb. Best college player ever??? On the short list

One of those "stick your finger in a socket" headlines. This world needs all the free sprits it can get.

I'll dust off something that was said when Casey Stengel died: "The good lord's getting an earful tonight."

RIP Bill. Hands down the best college BB player that I’ve ever watched play. His play against Memphis in the NCAA final will likely never be topped - he was unstoppable. If he didn’t have the foot issues in the NBA he would be remembered in much higher regard. One of a kind.

Loved him as a player, but absolutely could not stand him and his “League of Champions” schtick as an announcer.

Bill Walton was one of the most enjoyable sports personalities I've ever met. I loved his color commentary on college basketball games and was delighted to meet him at a Basketball Hall of Fame event in 2019. Typical of Bill, he was seriously under-dressed for the occasion. (Obviously he is seated while I am standing in this picture).

May be an image of 2 people and text

No idea he was ill. Sad news.

Glad he called a couple of our games for the first time last season.

An all-time great player, and if not for the injuries, one of the Top 5 or so, ever.

A truly fun announcer. Annoying as hell if he wasn't interested in the game itself, but the crazy stories appealed to me as a fellow Deadhead.

When I was in HS was his glory days at UCLA, and his first few years in Portland.

The Memphis State final will never be matched. The Semifinal loss in OT to David Thompson's NC State - after being AHEAD by 7 points in OT - will always stay with me as one of the best games in NCAA history.

His redemption with the mid-80s Larry Bird Celtics was wonderful and well-deserved.

Wow, way too young, Bill. Way too young. RIP, sir.

One of those "stick your finger in a socket" headlines. This world needs all the free sprits it can get.

I'll dust off something that was said when Casey Stengel died: "The good lord's getting an earful tonight."
If you ever want to smoke and talk hoops for hours on end you let me know.

Last edited: