RIP Bill Walton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bill Walton

Totally unique. Loved life and lived it on his terms. Loved his reverence for Wooden. I was at the 21 for 22 game against Memphis St- lots of quick turn around jumpers with perfect form. Totally about the team. And his announcing! No one better. Who knows how good he would have been if it wasn’t for the injuries- first few years were superb. Best college player ever??? On the short list
You were at the 21 for 22 game, too? Wish I’d have known, we could’ve hooked up.

I had a great seat for that game — press row —covering the Final Four for the Akron Beacon Journal (a local guy, Bobby Knight, was coaching in his first Final Four).

Post-game media access was way easier then. After the game, I went to the UCLA locker room & Bill was sitting on a bench. I’m Muggsy Bogues size, so we were about eye to eye.

Bill didn‘t talk to the media, but I figured I had a shot with him. I was 24, had long hair, herb, wore jeans, was highly political, yada yada. But Bill didn’t say a word. Ignored me. I was frustrated, but I didn’t know then that Bill stuttered, which is why he rarely spoke to reporters.

As we saw & heard, Bill got over his speech problem & never stopped talking. And we’re richer for it.

I’m now gonna twist one up, have Alexa play some Dead & celebrate one of the greats, on and off the court.

As stated before He made the world a better and certainly much more interesting place. If you know of his off the court life the man oozed compassion. RIP BIll .

I have a copy of one of his Dead shows from college at Pauley Pavilion in Bill's senior year.

Legendary 2nd set - Playin - Uncle John - Morning Dew - Uncle John - Playin

As a college player he dominated when freshmen weren't eligible but dunking was outlawed. Different times indeed.

One of the all-time great careers even with all the injuries. He could have chosen to spend his retirement being bitter and dwelling on what could have been, but instead chose gratitude, love and quirkiness.

I know a lot of people didn't enjoy his announcing style, but sports are supposed to be fun and he made watching games more fun. I don't think there was another person on the planet who could make me consider watching a random Oregon State-Utah game.

I got to see him give a keynote at a charity event in Cuse 15 or so years ago. He definitely rambled but I ate it up.

one of the two greatest college players I've ever seen along with Alcindor/KAJ. 86-4 in three years at UCLA. One of the losses was in Double OT to NC State in the F4 and another was that crazy game at ND that broke an 88 game winning streak where the Bruins lost by one. Undefeated at Pauley Pavilion. Between HS and college he won 137 games in a row.

Last edited:
My Top 10 favorite Bill Walton quotes (in no particular order):

1. "Shaq makes everyone else in the league look like Michelle Tafoya"

2. "Atlanta needs all 13 lottery picks."

3. Walton: That has to be a foul.
Snapper: Against who?
Walton: Against the game of basketball.

4. Nessler: And Samaki Walker enters the game
Walton: So THIS is what its come too?

5. "Lindsay Hunter is making Devean George look like John Stockton."

6. "Shawn Bradley has completely changed the fate of western civilization here!"

7. "...Ron Artest...a very likeable person, once you get to know him"

8. "We need more red headed centers like Luc Longley"

9. "Steve Nash is the most unathletic player in the league."

10. Walton “John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
Tom: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA.”

You were at the 21 for 22 game, too? Wish I’d have known, we could’ve hooked up.

I had a great seat for that game — press row —covering the Final Four for the Akron Beacon Journal (a local guy, Bobby Knight, was coaching in his first Final Four).

Post-game media access was way easier then. After the game, I went to the UCLA locker room & Bill was sitting on a bench. I’m Muggsy Bogues size, so we were about eye to eye.

Bill didn‘t talk to the media, but I figured I had a shot with him. I was 24, had long hair, herb, wore jeans, was highly political, yada yada. But Bill didn’t say a word. Ignored me. I was frustrated, but I didn’t know then that Bill stuttered, which is why he rarely spoke to reporters.

As we saw & heard, Bill got over his speech problem & never stopped talking. And we’re richer for it.

I’m now gonna twist one up, have Alexa play some Dead & celebrate one of the greats, on and off the court.
The LBJ love makes a lot of sense now ;)

More importantly, very well said.

My Top 10 favorite Bill Walton quotes (in no particular order):

1. "Shaq makes everyone else in the league look like Michelle Tafoya"

2. "Atlanta needs all 13 lottery picks."

3. Walton: That has to be a foul.
Snapper: Against who?
Walton: Against the game of basketball.

4. Nessler: And Samaki Walker enters the game
Walton: So THIS is what its come too?

5. "Lindsay Hunter is making Devean George look like John Stockton."

6. "Shawn Bradley has completely changed the fate of western civilization here!"

7. "...Ron Artest...a very likeable person, once you get to know him"

8. "We need more red headed centers like Luc Longley"

9. "Steve Nash is the most unathletic player in the league."

10. Walton “John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
Tom: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA.”
“…When I look at Boris Diaw I think of Beethoven in the age of romantics..”(my favorite ever)

“Samuel Dalembert with perhaps the worst outlet pass in the history of the Philadelphia franchise”

And far too many more.

Happened to watch my favorite movie yesterday, Airplane. The name Walton was mentioned by Kareem. I suppose there is a connection between the greatest quote movie and this man who had some amazing quotes. The only guy that many of us would watch for him, before the two teams playing.

one of the two greatest college players I've ever seen along with Alcindor/KAJ. 86-4 in three years at UCLA. One of the losses was in Double OT to NC State in the F4 and another was that crazy game at ND that broke an 88 game winning streak where the Bruins lost by one. Undefeated at Pauley Pavilion. Between HS and college he won 137 games in a row.

Was a 10 year old and watched this live one Saturday afternoon, on NBC's college bball broadcast. -sigh-