RIP Eli the guitar guy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Eli the guitar guy

We always stopped by and had him sing us a song before football games. The best was when he pulled our Hello by Lionel Richie by request.

That's a terrible way to go. Hopefully they find those responsible. And RIP Eli.

How can't you stop? For all the great sides of the human spirit being shown in this crisis there are these reminders that some people...

It really has become an epidemic the last decade or so. If you google hit and run drivers you will get tens of thousands of results. I think some people panic and just take off and thats probably a good % but I also think there is a group that quickly summizes that the %s of getting away with it are in their favor and just figure if they don't get caught in the next few days there almost guaranteed to get away with it. If the damage isn't overly significant catching a hit and run driver is extremely difficult especially if there not from the immediate area. There have been multiple ones in Syracuse and I think they have found the drivers much more then the national average so that may be a silver lining but I think finding the second car is probably going to be extremely difficult unless the person has a guilty conscious.

I just read about it on Facebook. So sad.

Eli was on a short list of people who are just synonymous with the Dome game-day experience (like the guy in the Eagles jersey with the programs, etc.)

Joe. Say hi to Joe while he's with us; with the Eli news, it's striking how you can take someone for granted and then have him disappear forever. Really appreciated that guy, though I didn't know him like others did. Ditto for Joe.

2020 is a completely unacceptable year. Not only was he at cuse games but concerts, plays, festivals, basically any large gathering of people in the city. He would sit in for shows with certain local musicians like Joe Driscoll and other acts at funk n waffles. Told me to stay in school whenever I walked by him at a young age and whattya know I did, so that definitely didn't hurt. He did not deserve to go out in that fashion and he cannot be forgotten when we return to collective celebrations of life after this mess is over.

Yeah, Joe's Facebook post on Eli really got me. This is a sad one.

Eli was welcome everywhere and made you smile on your worst day. It’s particularly heartbreaking that his life was lost in such a callous manner.

Good to see the community support. Every little bit helps. I put what I could and and shared on Facebook. Such a sad day. 2020 is rough

This is horrible. I first met Eli Harris outside of Hungrey Charley's in 1992. For my entire (long) college career he was a fixture there or Sutter's Mill. Burned quite a few with him in that alley and hung about to encourage others to tip.

His song about his mother Anna Mae made me weep.

The M-Street Strut. His songs will live forever in me. I last saw him outside after the second scrimmage and was quite joyful to see him after a few years.

Smile in style, profile, on Eli's Alleyway.

Fair Winds Good Sir.

Eli was a force of nature. No matter how cold it was outside, he brought his joy, musicianship and infectious energy that would carry you right into the Dome. He will always be apart of this communities fabric and will be dearly missed. He is one of a kind. RIP.

Last edited:
Carmelo Anthony, come and dance with me, come and prance with me. The start of Eli’s song he made up on the spot when we asked him to sing a song about Carmelo leaving the Dome in 2003. Every time he saw us after that he automatically broke out into that song. RIP my friend.

Eli truly was a legend, and this story is devastating

So many memories of him near the dome, on M-street, and always a positive force

Besides all the other things shared about Eli, I was impressed how he could be out playing without gloves when it was like 20 degrees below zero... he was immune to the cold or something

An arrest has been made. A 32 year old man from Syracuse.

Man, we've got to reform these laws. That guy should be facing a murder-type sentence. And the second driver should be criminally liable.

The only thing you need to do as a driver is not hurt anybody. There should be strict liability for this. I don't care if you "think" it's a bump in the pavement. If you hit a human who's down and already injured, you're not doing what you're supposed to do as a driver.

Man, we've got to reform these laws. That guy should be facing a murder-type sentence. And the second driver should be criminally liable.

The only thing you need to do as a driver is not hurt anybody. There should be strict liability for this. I don't care if you "think" it's a bump in the pavement. If you hit a human who's down and already injured, you're not doing what you're supposed to do as a driver.
I hope they throw the book at him. I can see hitting him being an uaccident, but not stopping is ridiculous. It’s not hard to be a decent human being.

So sad. My boys always loved seeing him at football games and they always gave him money. They were shocked and saddened when I texted them about the news. RIP Eli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom