RIP Fab Melo. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Fab Melo.

RIP, big guy. You gave some real thrills in one of our best seasons and always seemed to have a smile on your face. Not every thing that happened was your fault. Say hello to Conrad. Prayers for your family.

(The other thread didn't need to be nuked. It needed to be cleaned up.)

I think it was also JB about to shake Jay Wright's hand and he didn't want to come off that SU was showing up Villanova but JB was also slightly amused and impressed by Fab's dunk and athleticism.
Exactly. Can definitely tell JB was trying to do it right. He was always mindful. Even how serious he was in 2003 with Kansas. He wanted to EXPLODE with passion but was certainly thinking of sportsmanship even in the heat of the moment.

There is a way to see past pages through the internet archive but it looks as if this site is no longer "crawled" by the archive.

I just tried to find it. This site is on the internet archive but it appears they only archive on certain dates. The most recent archive I could find was Dec. 2 unless I was doing it wrong.

I just tried to find it. This site is on the internet archive but it appears they only archive on certain dates. The most recent archive I could find was Dec. 2 unless I was doing it wrong.
Nah you're good to go. That's pretty much where I got stuck. Now, it is possible individual pages within the site might be more recent than Dec. but it seems to be across the board. So, doubtful through this approach. But it has dug up some real goodies for me over the years.

Perspective is a beautiful thing.
A young man, in the prime of life, maybe/perhaps the main breadwinner, and certainly the pride of a lot of people's lives, is suddenly and inexplicably taken away.
Sports and SU basketball was the last thought to entire my mind when I heard this news. Rather, it was Fab's smile, the one that transcended cultures and languages, the one that lit up whatever room he entered, that's what I thought of first.
And the name- ahhh, the name. After "Melo I", we were all psyched to envision a "Melo 2.0", hopefully producing the same results.
Fab MELO was destined to end up at Syracuse, for better or worse. I submit that the better will always, far exceed any of the worse.
RIP to the big, gregarious, happy fella who is gone way too soon. Godspeed.

Last edited:
Can we use this thread to repost the Fab highlights? The other thread was zapped before I could get through all the videos.

RIP big guy.

I loved Fab and really enjoyed seeing his transition from freshman year to sophomore. He may have had the best defensive season in SU season and was the anchor of a great defensive and overall team, maybe our best ever. I know he had some issues off the court that were far from savory, but he was a kid in a new country with English as a second language. He did the best he could here and I am not one that faults him in any way for what happened to the program. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be in the situation he was in. He brought a spark and some fun to the floor and it was easy to see that his teammates loved him. That's as great a compliment as one can get.

It's just so sad that a young man, a kid still, is gone so young. And to pass in his sleep and be found by his mother...it's just heartbreaking. RIP Fab.

Very shocking to read about today. He had an uncanny ability to not only block shots but also to draw charges. Two moments I'll always remember were his 10 blocks against Seton Hall and that 360 dunk he had at the end of a road game, both during his sophomore year.

One of my favorite SU plays of all time. Not just because of how great it looked, or the athleticism required, but because he had the audacity to do it. That attitude is what I try to bring to my posting, here. I've brought it up numerous times, started at least 1 thread on it(I think where I asked who'd be the next to do it...the best answer was BJ Johnson...good job there, Boeheim! Go ahead and smile OG, we all need something to smile about today), and included it a few weeks back as the one play best remembered for a player. Heck, even the day it happened, I think there was little doubt I was the biggest fan, while some were mocking it as showboating.

As for Boeheim's reaction, can anyone assure me that was the awe I saw mentioned, or the more typical wincing? Maybe a combinination, which would have been in line with the reaction I recall of some fans? ;)

Still shocked this video hasnt been posted. I think it's about my 5th time posting it on here, if anyone cares. It wasnt the top video I got from putting Fab Melo into youtube, which was a conspiracy theory that had even me shaking my head.

Thank you Fab Melo for the MANY things you did as an English as a 2nd language student, regardless of what some here think of you...and thank you also for this dunk which the vast majority of players would have made completely forgetable and not talked about half a decade later. You understood life better than many of us, it appears, and followed the advice of the Thoreau quote in my signature. RIP, big man.

Last edited:
One of my favorite SU plays of all time. Not just because of how great it looked, or the athleticism required, but because he had the audacity to do it. That attitude is what I try to bring to my posting, here. I've brought it up numerous times, started at least 1 thread on it(I think where I asked who'd be the next to do it...the best answer was BJ Johnson...good job there, Boeheim! Go ahead and smile OG, we all need something to smile about today), and included it a few weeks back as the one play best remembered for a player. Heck, even the day it happened, I think there was little doubt I was the biggest fan, while some were mocking it as showboating.

As for Boeheim's reaction, can anyone assure me that was the awe I saw mentioned, or the more typical wincing? Maybe a combinination, which would have been in line with the reaction I recall of some fans? ;)

Still shocked this video hasnt been posted. I think it's about my 5th time posting it on here, if anyone cares. It wasnt the top video I got from putting Fab Melo into youtube, which was a conspiracy theory that had even me shaking my head.

Thank you Fab Melo for the MANY things you did as an English as a 2nd language student, regardless of what some here think of you...and thank you also for this dunk which the vast majority of players would have made completely forgetable and not talked about half a decade later. You understood life better than many of us, it appears, and followed the advice of the Thoreau quote in my signature. RIP, big man.

I was at this game and that dunk put a nice exclamation point on the evening.

As an aside, during the pre-game warmups I was down on the floor speaking with a friend who worked in the Athletics Dept. at Nova. He introduced me to a new Nova recruit that was sitting behind their bench. I remember looking out on the floor and seeing SU's four guards of Triche, Jardine, Waiters and MCW (plus Cooney red-shirting) and actually almost feeling pity for Nova and this little guard with the long Italian name that looked like he was the team manager. Oops.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom