RIP Floyd Little | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Floyd Little

even though we know it ---we really never expect it-----rest in peace ORANGEMAN.---thankyou for everything.

I first saw Floyd at the Navy game in 1966. My friends took me to that game a week or two ahead of my induction into the Army. Floyd was impressive to say the least.

The next time I saw him was when we met at a Ronald McDonald House charitable golf tournament in Albany. The following week he was retiring from his job at SU and flying out to join his family. We talked at great length about that game. He gave accolades to the Navy team and credited his teammates for his success at SU and Denver without once shifting the limelight to himself. He attended that event with other pro football "Hall of Famers." They volunteer to go to these events to help the charity raise the money it takes to help others.

After our introduction and conversation he sat down at our table for dinner and he continued to amaze all of us with his stories.

Floyd was a true gentleman, and a gracious and inspirational human being. He was a great ambassador for SU, the Denver Broncos and professional football. I was fortunate enough to meet him and consider that an honor.

My condolences to his family and to all those who loved him. He led a great life and will surely be missed, but his accomplishments will always be remembered. What the world has lost Heaven has gained. Rest in peace Floyd Little. You deserve it.

Last edited:
I saw Floyd at a banquet tell the following story:

The scene is an unemployment office. The clerk says "NEXT!" A man steps up. The clerk asks him what job he did. "Diesel Fitter". The clerk said "Oh, an automobile mechanic. You get $500/mth. Here's your check - NEXT!"

A woman steps forward. The clerk asks what job she did. "I stamp the labels on the panty hose." The clerk said "textile worker. You get #300/mth. Here's your check ."

The woman demands to know why the man got more. "Well auto mechanics make more than textile workers." The woman replied "What are you talking about? The panties come down the line to me and I stamp the labels on. Then they go down to him. He holds them up and stretches them and then says 'Dees'll Fit Her!'"

Just a peek into Floyd's sense of humor. ;)

I met Floyd Little in 1964. It was my freshman year at Syracuse University in upstate New York. I didn’t know anyone. Floyd was the first varsity player to speak to me. He was kind, friendly and easy to be around. We became close immediately and, eventually, became the backfield for the Orangemen.

Floyd was always positive and upbeat. Even in the darkest of times, he always found hope and good. There are people in our lives we always feel close to. Even if we don’t see them regularly, there’s a bond that endures. Floyd was one of those people in my life. He was football family. And he bled Orange – for his Orangemen and his beloved Denver Broncos!

In recent years, we’d been fortunate to spend more time together. We attended the spring game with Tom Coughlin at SU and were honored in Jacksonville early last year for our performance in the Gator Bowl of ’66. I always looked forward to seeing Floyd’s smiling face at the Hall of Fame inductions in Canton each year and, at times, during Super Bowl events.

He was special people to me. When you lose your special people, a little piece of you goes with them. But I can’t help but smile when I think of Floyd. He was a shining star in my life – “my brother from another mother,” he would say.

RIP brother

ZONK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom