RIP Georgia Dome | Syracusefan.com

RIP Georgia Dome

Truly represents everything wrong with America that we demolish billion-dollar stadiums like a bodily function. How do they even justify it and how do taxpayers find it acceptable?
It wasn't a billion dollar stadium. It has been replaced by one. The space will be used to create a tailgating/ fan experience green area. It will generate more revenue now, than as a useless stadium.

It wasn't a billion dollar stadium. It has been replaced by one. The space will be used to create a tailgating/ fan experience green area. It will generate more revenue now, than as a useless stadium.

They just did a quarter of a billion dollar renovation 10 years ago. Even with a strong economy the building of these stadiums and cost of them are just insane, especially with the short lifespan of them.

Truly represents everything wrong with America that we demolish billion-dollar stadiums like a bodily function. How do they even justify it and how do taxpayers find it acceptable?

Couldn't agree more. As big a sports fan as I am, it's just ridiculous that we are looking at a 25 year lifespan for stadiums now. That's one thing I'll say for Kansas City - at least they've figured out how to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium here.

They just did a quarter of a billion dollar renovation 10 years ago. Even with a strong economy the building of these stadiums and cost of them are just insane, especially with the short lifespan of them.
It lasted 25 years and generated $7B in revenue. Not bad. Sun Trust Park, and Mercedes-Benz are built with the intent to last longer - 40 years +.

It lasted 25 years and generated $7B in revenue. Not bad. Sun Trust Park, and Mercedes-Benz are built with the intent to last longer - 40 years +.

If it truly generated 7 billion then yeah, is that a legit number?

Couldn't agree more. As big a sports fan as I am, it's just ridiculous that we are looking at a 25 year lifespan for stadiums now. That's one thing I'll say for Kansas City - at least they've figured out how to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium here.
You're playing a different game than the Atlanta market. Arrowhead isn't looking to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, CFP title games etc. Have to keep up with the Joneses in that competition.

You're playing a different game than the Atlanta market. Arrowhead isn't looking to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, CFP title games etc. Have to keep up with the Joneses in that competition.

That's a very good point. I actually love Atlanta - lived there from middle school through college and really enjoyed it.

What I don't understand is how it became a 'useless' stadium? Who determines that? I'm willing to bet there were no structural defects or issues that would typically require demolishing a building. I've never been in a pro stadium - can someone tell me that the architectural decisions that were made 25 years ago are so short-sighted that it cannot be updated by periodic renovations?

What I don't understand is how it became a 'useless' stadium? Who determines that? I'm willing to bet there were no structural defects or issues that would typically require demolishing a building. I've never been in a pro stadium - can someone tell me that the architectural decisions that were made 25 years ago are so short-sighted that it cannot be updated by periodic renovations?
Bells and whistles.

I saw an Atlanta Braves game around 1993 at their Atlanta - Fulton County Stadium and had a great time while on a work trip. Then I couldn't believe that less than 4 years later while again on a work trip, they were playing at a new stadium , Turner Field. When I asked about the old stadium which seemed fine, I was told me it was torn down, they had a myriad of answers why- bad neighborhood, just old, having to share it with the Falcons football team etc but as one native said, because they just wanted to and had the money to do it. So that meant they had to build a new pro football (Georgia Stadium) stadium too which of course has now also been torn down. Now I heard that they built another baseball stadium last year, SunTrust Park so since my first baseball game around 1993 or 23 years, they have played in a total of 3 different stadiums. I just read up on it and at least they didn't tear Turner down but renovated it to be Georgia State's college football stadium. So both pro baseball and football each have played in 3 different stadiums in less than 25 years? Money mustn't be a real issue down there. Has any other city built , replaced as many pro stadiums in less than 25 years? Wish they'd ship some of that money up here :)

It's a problem everywhere, but I wouldn't be OttoMets if I didn't chime in and point out what a singular disgrace Atlanta is, abandoning about a billion dollars in investment in 2 ballparks, built in ~1993 and 1997, in the same year.

The baseball stadium really got me.

Yeah, not just the waste, but the replacement with a building way the abcdef out in the sticks. Is anyone else building major league ballparks out in the boonies? Didn't that trend die 25 years ago? 'But but but,' the locals like to dog-whistle, 'Turner Field isn't in a safe neighborhood!'

How many sporting events did SU play in this building?

2013 Final Four loss to Michigan
2001-2002 season we played Georgia Tech there early in the year and got beat

Any others?

And it's no coincidence that those are two of the coolest buildings around. Good on them.

How many sporting events did SU play in this building?

2013 Final Four loss to Michigan
2001-2002 season we played Georgia Tech there early in the year and got beat

Any others?

Pretty sure December 2001 was at Phillips Arena.

I've always wondered what the process is for being 100% sure everyone is out of the building before demolishing the building. Like how are you absolutely certain there isn't a construction worker on the can somewhere.

Yeah, not just the waste, but the replacement with a building way the abcdef out in the sticks. Is anyone else building major league ballparks out in the boonies? Didn't that trend die 25 years ago? 'But but but,' the locals like to dog-whistle, 'Turner Field isn't in a safe neighborhood!'

That’s what they said when they tore down its predecessor, Atlanta’s-Fulton County Stadium - bad neighborhood. Wonder if they now believe that stadiums destroy neighborhoods thus moving it to the ‘boonies’?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom