RIP Georgia Dome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Georgia Dome

I saw an Atlanta Braves game around 1993 at their Atlanta - Fulton County Stadium and had a great time while on a work trip. Then I couldn't believe that less than 4 years later while again on a work trip, they were playing at a new stadium , Turner Field. When I asked about the old stadium which seemed fine, I was told me it was torn down, they had a myriad of answers why- bad neighborhood, just old, having to share it with the Falcons football team etc but as one native said, because they just wanted to and had the money to do it. So that meant they had to build a new pro football (Georgia Stadium) stadium too which of course has now also been torn down. Now I heard that they built another baseball stadium last year, SunTrust Park so since my first baseball game around 1993 or 23 years, they have played in a total of 3 different stadiums. I just read up on it and at least they didn't tear Turner down but renovated it to be Georgia State's college football stadium. So both pro baseball and football each have played in 3 different stadiums in less than 25 years? Money mustn't be a real issue down there. Has any other city built , replaced as many pro stadiums in less than 25 years? Wish they'd ship some of that money up here :)
It's what happens when a red state gets revenue from us blue states!

Atlanta is the poster boy for this sort of excess.

I'd love to see a stat or a fact on that mostly wrong opinion. Atlanta is 1 of the few Olympic cities that did a phenomenal job of using most facilities long after the olympics.

I'd love to see a stat or a fact on that mostly wrong opinion. Atlanta is 1 of the few Olympic cities that did a phenomenal job of using most facilities long after the olympics.

They did, and that's commendable.

But I think that poster's opinion (and certainly mine) has more to do with the ~30-year lifespan of the Omni and Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, 25 years for the dome, and the obscene situation with the baseball stadium.

I saw an Atlanta Braves game around 1993 at their Atlanta - Fulton County Stadium and had a great time while on a work trip. Then I couldn't believe that less than 4 years later while again on a work trip, they were playing at a new stadium , Turner Field. When I asked about the old stadium which seemed fine, I was told me it was torn down, they had a myriad of answers why- bad neighborhood, just old, having to share it with the Falcons football team etc but as one native said, because they just wanted to and had the money to do it. So that meant they had to build a new pro football (Georgia Stadium) stadium too which of course has now also been torn down. Now I heard that they built another baseball stadium last year, SunTrust Park so since my first baseball game around 1993 or 23 years, they have played in a total of 3 different stadiums. I just read up on it and at least they didn't tear Turner down but renovated it to be Georgia State's college football stadium. So both pro baseball and football each have played in 3 different stadiums in less than 25 years? Money mustn't be a real issue down there. Has any other city built , replaced as many pro stadiums in less than 25 years? Wish they'd ship some of that money up here :)

There is A LOT more politics and reasoning as to Turner Field and why the Braves left.

They did, and that's commendable.

But I think that poster's opinion (and certainly mine) has more to do with the ~30-year lifespan of the Omni and Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, 25 years for the dome, and the obscene situation with the baseball stadium.

the braves left because the mayor wouldnt let them purchase (no bid purchase) control of the land around the stadium. He also went behind their backs and gave money to Arthur Blank that he wouldnt give to Braves for reno. THe baseball stadium was also too big and was built for the olympics.

They went 1 county north who gave a lot of public money to draw them (certainly a hot topic) but now everyone is for the better in Atlanta.

Falcons, Braves, and United are going to stay in those 2 new stadiums for a much longer period that 20-25 years. And also Phillips did a huge renovation.

This will be discussed for about 2 days and no one will talk about it again. Just random that 2 $billion stadiums/surrounding area went up at the same time. Didnt Philly do something similar a decade ago?

The Link opened in 2003 and Citizens bank field opened in 2004 so roughly 7 months apart. Veterans stadium was opened for 32 years. Come on people.

South Philadelphia Sports Complex - Wikipedia

They replaced Veterans Stadium...famous for its "cat-stink" smell, maybe the most-maligned ballpark ever. And they didn't build a new park on a greenfield in King of Prussia, they rebuilt on-site, a five-minute walk from a subway station, easily accessible not only for all the fans, but for those hundreds of minimum-wage concourse-sweepers, toilet-scrubbers, and concessionaires.

32 years doesn't look good. But details matter. Improving upon a mistake is different from the gratuitous waste involving the Falcons and Braves.

4.jpg

Turner Field was not torn down. Georgia State purchased it and turned it into their Football Stadium. It actually really nice.

3.jpg

Truly represents everything wrong with America that we demolish billion-dollar stadiums like a bodily function. How do they even justify it and how do taxpayers find it acceptable?

How does Atlanta, the Georgia Dome and Turner Field were both built in the early to mid 90's, they need new stadiums already, where are they getting all this money from?

Yeah, not just the waste, but the replacement with a building way the abcdef out in the sticks. Is anyone else building major league ballparks out in the boonies? Didn't that trend die 25 years ago? 'But but but,' the locals like to dog-whistle, 'Turner Field isn't in a safe neighborhood!'
Cobb County is the sticks? Ok...

They replaced Veterans Stadium...famous for its "cat-stink" smell, maybe the most-maligned ballpark ever. And they didn't build a new park on a greenfield in King of Prussia, they rebuilt on-site, a five-minute walk from a subway station, easily accessible not only for all the fans, but for those hundreds of minimum-wage concourse-sweepers, toilet-scrubbers, and concessionaires.

32 years doesn't look good. But details matter. Improving upon a mistake is different from the gratuitous waste involving the Falcons and Braves.

The Falcons stadium is maybe a 3 minute walk to the Subway.

How does Atlanta, the Georgia Dome and Turner Field were both built in the early to mid 90's, they need new stadiums already, where are they getting all this money from?

The Braves didnt need a new stadium - they wanted to renovate (in DIRE need of renovations - was deemed somehwhat unsafe by fire marshalls after they left) and have control over the surrounding area *like most new stadiums do* the mayor told them they would have to publicly bid on it , which they didnt want to do (right or wrong) and dragged his feet for YEARS.

They found a bunch of land to purchase about 10 miles away (THE DAMN BOONIES according to OttoMets - its actually pretty central to where people actually live in Atlanta. Did you know that Atlanta is about the 44th largest city in country by population? probably not because it is 9th largest metro by population and 1 of the fastest growing) where they could build an entire live/work/play/baseball stadium area.

On a side note, there is a hotel that is about to open that looks directly over the stadium. They have to be very nervous about that with the LV shooting. Sick to even think about.

The Braves didnt need a new stadium - they wanted to renovate (in DIRE need of renovations - was deemed somehwhat unsafe by fire marshalls after they left) and have control over the surrounding area *like most new stadiums do* the mayor told them they would have to publicly bid on it , which they didnt want to do (right or wrong) and dragged his feet for YEARS.

They found a bunch of land to purchase about 10 miles away (THE DAMN BOONIES according to OttoMets - its actually pretty central to where people actually live in Atlanta. Did you know that Atlanta is about the 44th largest city in country by population? probably not because it is 9th largest metro by population and 1 of the fastest growing) where they could build an entire live/work/play/baseball stadium area.

On a side note, there is a hotel that is about to open that looks directly over the stadium. They have to be very nervous about that with the LV shooting. Sick to even think about.
Or at least people doing the nasty in front of the stadium crowd!

Not great, def not Michigan. But probably better than you expect. If they ever get in a P5 conference, would be a sleeping giant. Big state school in football rich area that can throw money behind it.
It was basically an offer Georgia State couldn't refuse. $30 million for a legitimate stadium right near campus. There are big plans for redeveloping the area around the stadium. It's not dangerous but it is dead. Nothing much happened after the Olympics, so it would be a huge win for the city if Georgia State's plans work.

Dude, it's a greenfield site in a different county. (Most other major-league cities have live/work/play/baseball areas. They're called "neighborhoods" and we don't need to create them out of an empty space next to a freeway. Unfortunate that exurban Atlanta is such a special snowflake that it wants to reinvent the wheel.)

Sorry it's been perceived as personal for all you people who live near Atlanta (I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that no one on this thread actually lives in the city of Atlanta among all those scary MARTA-riders who used to sell bottles of water near Turner Field). You want to defend the substance of those fiscal and planning decisions, knock yourselves out.

Dude, it's a greenfield site in a different county. (Most other major-league cities have live/work/play/baseball areas. They're called "neighborhoods" and we don't need to create them out of an empty space next to a freeway. Unfortunate that exurban Atlanta is such a special snowflake that it wants to reinvent the wheel.)

Sorry it's been perceived as personal for all you people who live near Atlanta (I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that no one on this thread actually lives in the city of Atlanta among all those scary MARTA-riders who used to sell bottles of water near Turner Field). You want to defend the substance of those fiscal and planning decisions, knock yourselves out.

I live in Victor NY now. But I lived in the city of Atlanta (within 1/2 mile of 2 different "scary" MARTA stations) for 6 years. 2 diff locations but 5 of the 6 years was about 2.5 miles from Turner Field. I also lived in the city of Smyrna (where suntrust is located give or take some unincorporated/proper definitions) for 3 years. so you can take your assumptions and social (if not racist accusations) innuendo elsewhere cuz they are all wrong.

Also - the city of Altanta wouldnt let them build/control anything in the surrounding area to do live/work/play. thats why they moved!

Not knowing anything about Atlanta except when I visited for work, was the field moving outside the city to the county a political 'football'? Otherwise why would the city not approve development around Turner Field but is now touting that same development of the surrounding area for Georgia State? Was it a power play and a slap at Ted Turner, the Braves organization themselves etc? Just seems very strange. Politics and power plays between the 'Big Boys' determine so much across the country at taxpayers expense.

I live in Victor NY now. But I lived in the city of Atlanta (within 1/2 mile of 2 different "scary" MARTA stations) for 6 years. 2 diff locations but 5 of the 6 years was about 2.5 miles from Turner Field. I also lived in the city of Smyrna (where suntrust is located give or take some unincorporated/proper definitions) for 3 years. so you can take your assumptions and social (if not racist accusations) innuendo elsewhere cuz they are all wrong.

Also - the city of Altanta wouldnt let them build/control anything in the surrounding area to do live/work/play. thats why they moved!

Ahem, one more try and then enough of this silly personal stuff. My assumption is that no one here lives in the city of Atlanta. So far, I'm right. That is, the opposite of wrong.

I know why they moved. Kasim Reed didn't want to give away public land to a private entity without some reasonable return (to say nothing of the public money for renovations the club demanded). The Braves wanted the cash cow of an insular Disney-type complex around their ballpark. Something had to give, so it did.

Not knowing anything about Atlanta except when I visited for work, was the field moving outside the city to the county a political 'football'? Otherwise why would the city not approve development around Turner Field but is now touting that same development of the surrounding area for Georgia State? Was it a power play and a slap at Ted Turner, the Braves organization themselves etc? Just seems very strange. Politics and power plays between the 'Big Boys' determine so much across the country at taxpayers expense.

The city didn't want to transfer land; with Georgia State, they've got a partner and the end result will be development that's integrated into the surrounding urban fabric. The Braves wanted to generate more revenue (hotels, restaurants) that would just cannibalize existing spending from elsewhere in the city. The Braves didn't budge and another jurisdiction stepped in to offer the farm. The city gladly didn't match that offer.

Interestingly, the county executive in Cobb County (where the Braves moved) ran for re-election by touting how he had gotten the Braves. He lost, apparently because taxpayers weren't happy with how much it cost the county.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom