RIP John Havlicek | Syracusefan.com

RIP John Havlicek

If you were a Knicks fan growing up during the glory days you hated Havicek. Of course, I mean that in the most respectful of ways. I always thought he was Bill Bradley with a lot more skills.

26,000+ points and 8 championships. Jeez. Amazing career. Feels like he’s slightly underrated historically. Along with Elgin and E. Hayes.

I’m too young to have seen any of them, just going off the numbers and accomplishments.

If you were a Knicks fan growing up during the glory days you hated Havicek. Of course, I mean that in the most respectful of ways. I always thought he was Bill Bradley with a lot more skills.
I just remember him always moving around out there and being a general pain in the ass. Fantastic all-around player and great defender. RIP Hondo.

I just remember him always moving around out there and being a general pain in the ass. Fantastic all-around player and great defender. RIP Hondo.
What's bad about the NBA is nowadays the small forwards are about three inches and 30 pounds bigger than Havlicek yet all they want to do is hoist up threes. 99.9% of them will never be as accomplished as Hondo.

Even as a Sixers fan, it was hard not to admire the Celtics #17. He was constantly on the run. Hard also to imagine him dealing with the hideous consequences of Parkinson's. He was a unique talent and the consummate team player: 8 championships in 16 years. When Russell retired, unlike everybody else on the team, he only got better.

26,000+ points and 8 championships. Jeez. Amazing career. Feels like he’s slightly underrated historically. Along with Elgin and E. Hayes.

I’m too young to have seen any of them, just going off the numbers and accomplishments.

Some of his # are pretty crazy, 45.4 MPG in 1971! Made the AS team his last 13 years of his career. Also really the only link between the Russell dynastic Celtics and the championship winning teams in the 70s

1969 playoffs, in 18 games, he played 47.2 minutes per game. Missed 14 minutes total in 18 games. And the game he played the fewest minutes (40, LOL) he fouled out of

What's bad about the NBA is nowadays the small forwards are about three inches and 30 pounds bigger than Havlicek yet all they want to do is hoist up threes. 99.9% of them will never be as accomplished as Hondo.

99.9% of his all nba players of any size or era aren't going to be as accomplished as Hondo, so that' not like a huge insult.

His greatest skill was simply that, no matter who you were, he would find a way to beat you. And he did it again and again with a combination of dedication and respect for the game you don't see much of in the NBA anymore.

His greatest skill was simply that, no matter who you were, he would find a way to beat you. And he did it again and again with a combination of dedication and respect for the game you don't see much of in the NBA anymore.
Trust me, I was a huge Bill Bradley fan and as good as Bradley was, Havlicek just did everything better. In fact, here was Dollar Bill's statement on the passing of Havlicek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom