RIP Keith Jackson | Syracusefan.com

RIP Keith Jackson

That guy made games more fun.
When I replay the memories in my head of growing up and watching college football in the 80's and 90's, Keith Jackson is the voice I hear calling every game. It doesn't matter if he actually called the game or not...his voice just fits college football.

"And there goes Kirby Dar Dar on a reverse...Whoa Nelly!"

Was next to him once on a flight out of Lansing. Very nice guy. It was about 2 weeks before the trout opener in Michigan and he was talking to me about what a good fishing trip he had. I mentioned that the opener wasn't for a week or so. He smiled and said that
The Governor wanted to go a little early!

When I replay the memories in my head of growing up and watching college football in the 80's and 90's, Keith Jackson is the voice I hear calling every game. It doesn't matter if he actually called the game or not...his voice just fits college football.

"And there goes Kirby Dar Dar on a reverse...Whoa Nelly!"
I had a football game for the PS2 that he was on. It was great.

Yup. I had it too. I think it was NCAA Gamebreaker 2001. Oh the wasted hours! Remember thinking that the graphics couldn't get better than this?
That game stands up

I always wondered what a guy with a southern accent and style was doing at Washington State. It turns out he went there on the GI Bill:
Keith Jackson - Wikipedia

He began his broadcast career there and all their 1958 game broadcasts are on you-Tube:
Washington State 1958 Keith Jackson - YouTube

I love vintage sports film and especially live broadcasts of game from long ago and have enjoyed listening to and watching these clips of Keith at the beginning of his broadcasting career. I'll put these on while I'm doing something else and it's fun to look through a portal of time into 1958. You can follow the scores of these games from this site:
Washington State Historical Scores

1958 was one of the better years for a usually losing program. Jim Southerland was one of their better coaches and this was probably his best team. If you grew up in the 60's as I did, you'll recognize a number of names from their pro careers, including the Cougar's own Gail Cogdill, (Lions) and Keith Lincoln (Chargers).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom