RIP Pearl | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pearl

Was just reading article that said the half court shot against BC vaulted SU into the top 20 and they never left for the remainder of his career. That's unreal.
Read the same thing too and had not known that. For someone like me who became an SU fan well after Pearl, that's a great note on just how much he meant to Syracuse.

I was a freshman at SU during Pearl's last year. I'll always be grateful for having had the good fortune to see him play, but I'll always blame him for giving me 'unrealistic expectations.' He set a standard that just won't be matched, and did it with an uncommon grace and humility.

I was a freshman at SU during Pearl's last year. I'll always be grateful for having had the good fortune to see him play, but I'll always blame him for giving me 'unrealistic expectations.' He set a standard that just won't be matched, and did it with an uncommon grace and humility.

Yep. Class of '89 here and overlapped with the Pearl my freshman year.

Watching SU Georgetown in '85 (the year Nova won it all) cemented my decision to go to Syracuse. I wanted to be a part of that energy - and that energy largely came from him.

And now the Orange is in my blood forevermore and is a real part of my life - and #31 contributed greatly to establishing and cementing my Syracuse experience. I have tears in my eyes today for the loss of Pearl but also for the memories that are suddenly very thick and very real.

So many memories of the Pearl. The mere mention of his name brings up memories of our rivalry with Gtown, which for me will always be our most hated rival...by far.

Phantom likes to everybody who posted in this thread, I am on vacation so can't take the time to hit the like key that many times.

The only thing I can add, is in the days before the internet, is how excited i was when I received my copy of Eastern Basketball and first learned of the Pearl's commitment to the Cuse.

What a glorious day that was. He will never be forgotten for as long as a roundball bounces in Syracuse.

Such a sad day. I knew it was coming and thought that would make the pain less but it never works out that way. An amazing player and an amazing person. I'm really glad he was talked about in the 30 for 30 doc for an extended period of time. I live on the west coast and was talking to a 20 something kid about basketball and mentioned Pearl and he was like that kid from the 30 for 30 on the Big East. He was crazy. I think it really gave a new generation of fans who are not from the north east a chance to see his greatness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom