RIP Pearl | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pearl

I know it's been posted before but I'm posting one of his highlight videos again. The last couple minutes are amazing. Dribbling through 3-4 players, breaking ankles, and of course the half court shot.

I just noticed your avatar after posting. What great years.

cuseattle said:
I just noticed your avatar after posting. What great years.

Yea I changed it earlier.

Reactions: MGP
image.jpeg
If anyone on this board owns this t-shirt, I would love to see a picture of it. Heard it referenced many times, but have never actually seen it.
Here you go.
What a horrible day to make my first ever post.
I was a freshman Pearl's last year. Even though he was only a few years older than me, he was like a rock star, bigger than life. 30 years later and that hasn't changed.

I'll always remember the days when I was at Bird and Pearl was holding court...it was so crazy that no one even attempted to study on the first floor. But he was such a nice guy it was impossible to ask him to move...so I did.

Rest in Peace Pearl...we were very fortunate to know you...

What a sad day...my favorite player of all time, any sport. He was my age, but he was my sports hero. So hard to put into words what he meant to Su Hoops fans of that era. Its hard for me to even post today.

In an era where he played with so many greats. In so many Big East games and tournaments. No one ever talked about Patrick Ewing owning the garden, or Ed Pinkney owning the garden, or Chris Mullin owning the garden (even though half his games were played there), the Garden was Pearl's sandbox.

Peace to his family right now.

View attachment 61373 I recently spoke at an event in Orange County CA for kids who had been accepted to SU and were thinking of going. They asked what made me choose SU and I was honest. I wanted to watch Pearl play basketball.

I was a junior when he got to SU. I've never seen anyone like him since...you mad a great decision.

I'm 38. Saw Pearl with my brother and Dad and the Dome when I was a kid. For a massive Cuse fan, I imagine it was like my Dad seeing Micky Mantle back in '59. It's hyperbole, but Pearl had that kind of impact on the small burgh that is Syracuse, NY.

My own sons now stared at the TV today as ESPN ran their In Memoriam. And my oldest son (12) remarked, "dude was a baller." Indeed, boy. Indeed.

Wanted to stop by and pass along my sincere condolences. Pearl was before my time, but few players' legacies have benefited more from YouTube. He was an incredible player who helped make college basketball so special in the 80s for fans everywhere (even if he was dominating your team).

Many of us have our Pearl memories. Here are mine: I showed up early for the SU/Texas game in 2003. Pearl was in the stands and I summoned the courage to go up and speak to him. He was very gracious, we talked a while and shook hands. The Sunday between games was my birthday and a number of us went out to celebrate, Pearl was at the restaurant and joined in the Happy Birthday song! Makes you feel great to be a Cuse fan. (BTW, James Worthy was also at the restaurant, and went over to Pearl to say hi.)

View attachment 61372
Here you go.
What a horrible day to make my first ever post.
I was a freshman Pearl's last year. Even though he was only a few years older than me, he was like a rock star, bigger than life. 30 years later and that hasn't changed.

So true. And to see Tweets from Magic, his photo lit up outside MSG and all the homage being paid...it is surreal.

MadNY3 said:
So true. And to see Tweets from Magic, his photo lit up outside MSG and all the homage being paid...it is surreal.

He needs to be in Springfield. People will point to his numbers, but I can't emphasize this more...Pearl was more than just the numbers in a boxscore.

He needs to be in Springfield. People will point to his numbers, but I can't emphasize this more...Pearl was more than just the numbers in a boxscore.
For sure, Jake. His impact on the game far exceeds many who are already enshrined there.

Amazing how so many non-SU players, media, and fans paying their respects to Pearl. Just further shows he was a legend to everyone.

It's amazing. As I've said a few times, I wasn't alive to watch him, but I do know the history and incredible influence he had. Still... All of these people not even associated with SU paying their respects is really Really awesome, and almost indicating his influence was even more than I could imagine.

You guys weren't kidding when you said how great he was for us..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom