RIP RALPH WILSON | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP RALPH WILSON

If the Dallas Cowboys hadn't made the playoffs in 15 years , that entire Jerry Jones Mausoleum would be empty. There are few fan bases that would support such total ineptitude , especially after they went to 4 superbowls in a row.
the pokes have won a whopping 1.....thats 1......playoff game....in 17 years.

not much different.

find a new talking point.

the Bills need a nice stadium and practice facility to attract fans and FAs.

i hope they get it.

.....and the fan base is small and the market is very small by NFL standards. One thing about the NFL is its run by greedy people.

One of the things I don't understand is, isn't Toronto already in the Buffalo "market" to a degree. I mean it's an hour and a half from Buffalo. If there was SO much interest by the Toronto fan base. Wouldn't they already be driving to Buffalo to see the games?

One of the things I don't understand is, isn't Toronto already in the Buffalo "market" to a degree. I mean it's an hour and a half from Buffalo. If there was SO much interest by the Toronto fan base. Wouldn't they already be driving to Buffalo to see the games?
are those toronto games part of the package? or can you buy seasons without them??

if given the option, some years id buy the toronto game, others not. or if i knew the demand was through the roof, buy and sell at a profit.

im not a fan of the toronto games, i think it devalues the buffalo ticket and the CFL.

i also dont like the london games. seriously, who gives a flying F if the euros play american football?? we are the only ones who play it and theres 100os of kids in college who could make a NFL roster who dont, and they dont have to compete against a bunch of euros to get cut.

the Giants played in the 1st London game as a road team...my guess is the Mara's negotiated that and the trade off was that they wouldnt lose a home game for the foreseable future.

cheap plug for an 18 game regular season. 4 preseason games are Fn useless. they dont practice as it is, and the starters are basically playing 7 preseason qtrs now. for the amount of $$ they make, they can play 1 more.

Between this and Jim Kelly, tough times in Buffalo Bills land. Not going to get any easier either.

I'm am opposed to the 18 game schedule. 16 is enough. I'm indifferent about the preseason games. They don't interest me but I recognize they are really for guys trying to make rosters. Just seems like two or three of these scrimmages would be enough.

I'm am opposed to the 18 game schedule. 16 is enough. I'm indifferent about the preseason games. They don't interest me but I recognize they are really for guys trying to make rosters. Just seems like two or three of these scrimmages would be enough.
other than MLB, who is absolutely TERRIFIED of 2 more regular season NFL games (whos got their stoolies calling the radio shows and their muscle twisting the writers arms), im shocked that any football fan doesnt want 18 games.

im cool with 1 more team in the playoffs from each conf too.

3 tilts a day on wildcard weekend would be awesome.

If the NFL wants to increase the regular season by 12.5%, shouldn't players salaries also be increased by 12.5%?

After all, if you're getting paid to work a 60 hour week, and the company now demands that you put in 8 hours on Saturday, shouldn't you be paid accordingly?

If the NFL wants to increase the regular season by 12.5%, shouldn't players salaries also be increased by 12.5%?

After all, if you're getting paid to work a 60 hour week, and the company now demands that you put in 8 hours on Saturday, shouldn't you be paid accordingly?
no.

theyre paid for 20 games.

4 dont count.

make it 2.

im in favor of expanding the rosters to brace for any potential injury, as well as a higher cap.

the pokes have won a whopping 1...thats 1...playoff game...in 17 years.

not much different.

find a new talking point.

the Bills need a nice stadium and practice facility to attract fans and FAs.

i hope they get it.
They are at least in the Playoffs/Playoff hunt. Buffalo is out of by the time it starts to snow...every year. I agree with you on a new stadium but if Buffalo ever becomes a playoff team, they will have no problem getting fan support.

You know as well as I do that the NFLPA won't see it that way.
the cap would need to be raised to cover more jobs...and raised on top of that for these 'extra' games.

in the players defense, the league will make a ton of more $$ with 2 more games that count instead of whats going on now. so yeah, they should make more per contract on that alone.

its a win/win if you ask me.

i also have no clue as to why theres a pushback on moving the XP back to the 25.

that 1 point is the most useless...and yet guaranteed!!, point in football, make it a challenge.

the cap would need to be raised to cover more jobs...and raised on top of that for these 'extra' games.

in the players defense, the league will make a ton of more $$ with 2 more games that count instead of whats going on now. so yeah, they should make more per contract on that alone.

its a win/win if you ask me.

i also have no clue as to why theres a pushback on moving the XP back to the 25.

that 1 point is the most useless...and yet guaranteed!!, point in football, make it a challenge.

I'm okay with moving the extra point back. Agree it is too automatic now, and I like almost anything that encourages teams to go for 2 points.

The season already begins in August (when I have little interest in the NFL), and extends to Christmas. That's four months plus the playoffs which extend now into February. IMHO, that's long enough. The baseball, NBA and HOckey schedules are all already too long. The NFL doesn't need to follow suit. Yes, it would mean more money for owners, but more injuries, and larger rosters would dilute the product. I have no issue with adding another team to the playoffs. I never ever watch a preseason game, unless there is an SU player I want to check in on to see how he does. I'm not convinced that teams care about winning these games. And if they don't care, how can I?

I have been a Bills fan and an Orange fan since the early Seventies. There are 2 things I just can't figure out. 1. Why do the Bills go out of their way to not draft Syracuse players. Wouldn't that be smart marketing ? Not all Orange fans are Bills fans, yet they live in what most would consider Bills country. If , say McNabb went to Buffalo, wouldn't he have brought a lot of converts with him? 2. Why does Buffalo hold their training camp in Rochester ? They already own that market. Syracuse to Utica is 1 million people, and many are not Bills fans , but if the camp was held here , the local media would eat it up . This area is only a short drive to Buffalo, and I think that as it became a tradition a lot more fans from CNY would be shuffling off to Buffalo to support "their Bills".

I have been a Bills fan and an Orange fan since the early Seventies. There are 2 things I just can't figure out. 1. Why do the Bills go out of their way to not draft Syracuse players. Wouldn't that be smart marketing ? Not all Orange fans are Bills fans, yet they live in what most would consider Bills country. If , say McNabb went to Buffalo, wouldn't he have brought a lot of converts with him? 2. Why does Buffalo hold their training camp in Rochester ? They already own that market. Syracuse to Utica is 1 million people, and many are not Bills fans , but if the camp was held here , the local media would eat it up . This area is only a short drive to Buffalo, and I think that as it became a tradition a lot more fans from CNY would be shuffling off to Buffalo to support "their Bills".

1. You don't draft players for marketing.
2. Rochester doesn't have Syracuse football, which of course would be more compelling for fans here in Syracuse than Bills football.
3. I'm a Giants fan. The Bills will never be the Giants.

1. You don't draft players for marketing.
2. Rochester doesn't have Syracuse football, which of course would be more compelling for fans here in Syracuse than Bills football.
3. I'm a Giants fan. The Bills will never be the Giants.
There's enough Giants fans in New Jersey.

Do you think the Bills should have politely asked the Eagles not to draft McNabb with the 2nd pick? And then moved onto the Bengals, Colts and the other 18 teams who picked in front of them?

Or do you think the Bills should have grabbed him around the time the Redskins picked him up and his career was essentially over.

Not only do they hold training camp in Rochester, they don't make any of the tickets for training camp practices available in the Syracuse market. Only in Buffalo and Rochester. I've voiced my concerns about this to the front office and was simply told that their sponsorship partners are responsible for the distribution of training camp tickets and they have no control over it. At least Rochester is a better location than their old training camp at SUNY Fredonia.

Do you think the Bills should have politely asked the Eagles not to draft McNabb with the 2nd pick? And then moved onto the Bengals, Colts and the other 18 teams who picked in front of them?

Or do you think the Bills should have grabbed him around the time the Redskins picked him up and his career was essentially over.
That was just an example. I can't think of any Orange that's played for the Bills. Maybe they need to think outside the box, before they're outside the state.

That was just an example. I can't think of any Orange that's played for the Bills. Maybe they need to think outside the box, before they're outside the state.

Syracuse fans don't turn out to watch SU players when they're playing at SU. Why would they show up in Buffalo.

Things I've heard today that give me hope are that Mara and Jerry Jones publically stated they want the Bills to stay in Buffalo and Pegula and Golisano expressed interest in keeping the team here.

Of course anytime something like this happens to a small market team there will be rumblings of that team possibly moving but stuff like the Miami blackout have more to do with a decade of losing than fan support.
Is Goodell a Bills fan? I know he's from Jamestown so it would be a great advantage to have him on Buffalo's side.

Is Goodell a Bills fan? I know he's from Jamestown so it would be a great advantage to have him on Buffalo's side.

He may or may not be (or have been) a Bills fan. But his job is to have the league's best interests as a whole at hand. Hopefully that includes having the Bills in Buffalo, but who knows?

I just dont see the Buffalo Bills moving. Especially if what the writer I linked above from BusinessWeek says is true, in that the lease CANNOT be bought out until 2019, meaning the Buffalo Bills cannot be relocated until 2020. This gives Buffalo time to get funding and break ground on a new stadium, something Gov Cuomo and the Bills have already addressed by putting together a "New Stadium Committee" last year.

The Cleveland Browns were a hit to Tagliabue's legacy and caused so much backlash that a few years later the Browns were back in Cleveland. Fast forward 20 years, in an age of social media and 24 hour news and the backlash would be even worse.

The Toronto experiment was an epic fail, the Jags are the team that is in line for London if a team is moved in that scenario and there are 2-3 teams ahead of Buffalo in line for the L.A. move, if the NFL decides not to go the expansion route. Where is this new owner taking Buffalo?

The Bills just need a new stadium and if this article is true, they will have time to fund it and keep the team here.

An 18 game NFL season won't happen now. That's why they are adding 2 more playoff teams in a year or two. That was the compromise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom