RIP RALPH WILSON | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP RALPH WILSON

I just dont see the Buffalo Bills moving. Especially if what the writer I linked above from BusinessWeek says is true, in that the lease CANNOT be bought out until 2019, meaning the Buffalo Bills cannot be relocated until 2020. This gives Buffalo time to get funding and break ground on a new stadium, something Gov Cuomo and the Bills have already addressed by putting together a "New Stadium Committee" last year.

1) No fan sees their team moving till it happens.

2) Yes they can't leave till 2019 but there is a loophole. For an NFL team to call a city their "HOME CITY" they only need to play 4 regular season games there. This is what the Jackonsville owner Kahn is trying to do since his lease is locked in till 2030 and his hands are tied. He wants to play only 4 of his 8 home games in Jacksonville. And the other 4 "home games" in London, Berlin...etc. Still the Jacksonville Jaguars by name. Jacksonville will get 4 home games a year. BUT the other 4 home games will be played to whichever city pays him the most. Or multiple cities. So when people say Jacksonville will move first, that is 100% false. They can't. Jacksonville is locked into there city for a very long time. So yes the Bills can't leave Buffalo till 2019...but any new owner only needs to have 4 games in Buffalo technically.

Last edited:
Is Goodell a Bills fan? I know he's from Jamestown so it would be a great advantage to have him on Buffalo's side.
Goodell has stated he was a Baltimore Colts fan and then he became a Redskins fan. He worked for the NY Jets coming up through the ranks.

He has twin daughters. One is a Dolphins fan the other a Vikings fan but he said they picked them based solely on the colors of the uniforms.

That was just an example. I can't think of any Orange that's played for the Bills. Maybe they need to think outside the box, before they're outside the state.
Zach Chibane just last season. They tried to sign Jameel McClain a couple weeks ago but the Bills came in 2nd to the Giants for his services. In other words it's not intention. And they shouldn't draft players for marketing purposes anyway, even if it would make a difference (it wouldn't).

1) No fan sees their team moving till it happens.

2) Yes they can't leave till 2019 but there is a loophole. For an NFL team to call a city their "HOME CITY" they only need to play 4 regular season games there. This is what the Jackonsville owner Kahn is trying to do since his lease is locked in till 2030 and his hands are tied. He wants to play only 4 of his 8 home games in Jacksonville. And the other 4 "home games" in London, Berlin...etc. Still the Jacksonville Jaguars by name. Jacksonville will get 4 home games a year. BUT the other 4 home games will be played to whichever city pays him the most. Or multiple cities. So when people say Jacksonville will move first, that is 100% false. They can't. Jacksonville is locked into there city for a very long time. So yes the Bills can't leave Buffalo till 2019...but any new owner only needs to have 4 games in Buffalo technically.
You're reaching. No owner in his right mind is going to spend what it takes to buy the Buffalo Bills with the purpose of relocation when he can only host a bare minimum of four games in the new city for the first four or five years. Laughable.

You're reaching. No owner in his right mind is going to spend what it takes to buy the Buffalo Bills with the purpose of relocation when he can only host a bare minimum of four games in the new city for the first four or five years. Laughable.
I didn't say that would happen...i said it could. That's what's going on in Jacksonville right now though so its not that laughable!

Anyone know anything about Jeffrey Gundlach? California based Bond-Fund Manager. Expressed interest in buying the Bills 3 years ago.

Hardcore Bills fan with apparent ties to Buffalo. When asked about why he would like to own the Bills, he said "It's not an investment, it's because I love the Bills".

He's listed in an AP article as a possible new owner along with Bruins owner Jacobs, Sabres owner Pegula (Both would keep Bills in Buffalo) and the Toronto clowns Rogers and Bon Jovi.

I didn't say that would happen...i said it could. That's what's going on in Jacksonville right now though so its not that laughable!
Hate to break it to you, Stern, but the Bills can't go anywhere until at least 2020. Thanks, Mr. Wilson.
“I’m very familiar with the Bills’ new lease in Buffalo, and Ralph Wilson gave the people of Buffalo and Western New York an enormous gift,” Ganis said at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes.

“In this new 10-year lease that he signed, for the first seven years there is no opportunity to buy that lease out, or terminate it. None. That team is required to stay in that stadium for at least for the first seven years, and one year already has passed in that lease, so for the next six years.”
http://m.torontosun.com/2014/03/26/bills-to-stay-in-buffalo-until-at-least-2020

Zach Chibane just last season. They tried to sign Jameel McClain a couple weeks ago but the Bills came in 2nd to the Giants for his services. In other words it's not intention. And they shouldn't draft players for marketing purposes anyway, even if it would make a difference (it wouldn't).
They drafted Gary Anderson in 1982, but released him before the season started... opening the way for his 12 years with the Steelers.

Hate to break it to you, Stern, but the Bills can't go anywhere until at least 2020. Thanks, Mr. Wilson.

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/03/26/bills-to-stay-in-buffalo-until-at-least-2020
don't be so sure about that 400 million

when the team is sold and the new owner tells them that they're gone in 2020, the county will be quick to renegotiate a buyout for somewhere between 28 million and 400 million

this 400 million stuff is just PR. if the new owner offers 50,75,100 million to move before 2020, the county is not going to pass that up for a couple lousy lame duck years

Last edited:

when the team is sold and the new owner tells them a) that they're gone in 2020, the county will be quick to renegotiate a buyout for somewhere between 28 million and 400 million

this 400 million stuff is just PR. if the new owner offers 50,75,100 million to move before 2020, the county is not going to pass that up for a couple lousy lame duck years
True, everything has a price.

when the team is sold and the new owner tells them that they're gone in 2020, the county will be quick to renegotiate a buyout for somewhere between 28 million and 400 million

Exactly! Some "bills fans" are very naive to the situation at hand.

Very good point. Polancarz and Higgins wouldn't let them walk without a fight I don't think. Political suicide.

However, you're right. It all comes down to owner most importantly and Erie county's willingness to build a stadium. Both could go either way. Very interesting. I pray they stay in Buffalo. IMO a good league has small markets. Bills get playoff good, I think the community would rally around them and it'd be next to impossible to move them. Big if I understand. Buffalo really gets crazy for winners. See 2006-2007 Sabres.

Why does the possible devastation of an upstate New York region delight you so much? loser.
who said it delighted me? What's with the cursing and name-calling? Can't we have a civil discussion about a possible big NFL story in our region. My god...show some maturity

who said it delighted me? What's with the cursing and name-calling? Can't we have a civil discussion about a possible big NFL story in our region. My god...show some maturity
Of course it delights you. I wouldn't normally stoop to someone of your level but sometimes it's necessary.

Of course it delights you. I wouldn't normally stoop to someone of your level but sometimes it's necessary.
just trying to to talk about a current NFL topic. Really don't have a dog in the fight, just giving an opinion. You can't get yourself all worked up

Stern said:
just trying to to talk about a current NFL topic. Really don't have a dog in the fight, just giving an opinion. You can't get yourself all worked up

Just shut up. You're prodding and you know it.

Hmm...

Mike Schopp ‏@Schopptalk
Seems Mary Wilson, wife of the late Ralph Wilson, becomes controlling owner of the Bills. The trustees will commence working toward a sale.

Mike Schopp ‏@Schopptalk
Potential candidates to buy the Bills will be vetted in the coming months, with a sale perhaps being consummated in about a year.

2 words...

Donald.

Trump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors