RIP Rollie Massimino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Rollie Massimino

People can talk about the ACC and Coach K, Williams, Pitino and JB. But there will never be quite the quartet of JB, Thompson, Louie and Rollie in the BE. The right coaches at the right time under the bright lights.

Amen, Bees.

Was a little before my time, he was great on that Big East 30 for 30, pulled off one of the great upsets in sports, Rip Rollie.

Sad

real question: did he and heathcote ever coach against each other in the tourney?

People can talk about the ACC and Coach K, Williams, Pitino and JB. But there will never be quite the quartet of JB, Thompson, Louie and Rollie in the BE. The right coaches at the right time under the bright lights.

And Bill Raftery at Seton Hall and Dr Tom Davis at BC all at the start of the Big East. What huge names in basketball , such characters and personalities. Looked it up and their ages at the start of the Big East - Raftery 36: Carneseca 54: Massimino 45: Boeheim 35: Davis 41: Thompson 38.

And Bill Raftery at Seton Hall and Tom Davis at BC all at the start of the Big East. What huge names in basketball , such characters and personalities. Looked it up and their ages at the start of the Big East - Raftery 36: Carneseca 54: Massimino 45: Boeheim 35: Tom Davis 41: Thompson 38.

Cripes! I'm older now then Massimino was then, but he always looked old to me. I am amazed that he was only 82. RIP Rollie.

Sad

real question: did he and heathcote ever coach against each other in the tourney?

Not in the tourney.

I don't know if they ever played against each other during the regular season.

I know that as we get older, we start to shrink, but man, Lou Carnesecca looks like a retired horse jockey in that picture.

I don't see Big John there.

Who is between Mullin and Raftery? I know everyone else.

Possibly former BC coach Dr. Tom Davis?

upload_2017-9-12_14-27-3.jpeg

Hey Rollie, thanks a million for your career, helping build the Big East, and that TERRIFIC victory over the favored Hoyas (with Ewing) a generation ago. That was something I will never forget. 'Nova made every shot in the 2nd half, IIRC. R.I.P., coach.

Hey Rollie, thanks a million for your career, helping build the Big East, and that TERRIFIC victory over the favored Hoyas (with Ewing) a generation ago. That was something I will never forget. 'Nova made every shot in the 2nd half, IIRC. R.I.P., coach.
That picture is great and truly why I miss the Big East! Such rivalries, but such respect for everyone.

Yes. Great coaches but also really interesting, compelling personalities. Coach K, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Tony Bennett and JB are all great coaches in the ACC today, but they are not the showmen and media stars the old guard were.

RIP Rollie. You will be missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom