Rivalry week for ACC and SEC teams | Syracusefan.com

Rivalry week for ACC and SEC teams

Alsacs

Living Legend
Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 10m
Louisville & Kentucky moving to last game of regular season starting in 2014

Now that Louisville will play Kentucky in the season ending game. We can basically assume these will be the Rivalry week matchups.
ACC-SEC games
Louisville-Kentucky
Clemson-South Carolina
Florida State-Florida
Georgia Tech-Georgia

ACC games
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
NC State-North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Pittsburgh

SEC games
Missouri-Arkansas
Texas A&M-LSU(ESPN announced this game will be the Thanksgiving night game in 2014)
Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vanderbilt
Ole Miss-Mississippi State

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 10m
Louisville & Kentucky moving to last game of regular season starting in 2014

Now that Louisville will play Kentucky in the season ending game. We can basically assume these will be the Rivalry week matchups.
ACC-SEC games
Louisville-Kentucky
Clemson-South Carolina
Florida State-Florida
Georgia Tech-Georgia

ACC games
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
NC State-North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Pittsburgh

SEC games
Missouri-Arkansas
Texas A&M-LSU(ESPN announced this game will be the Thanksgiving night game in 2014)
Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vanderbilt
Ole Miss-Mississippi State
I really like that set up. Good sensible games for all the ACC & SEC schools. I'm still hoping there's room for early season rivalry games too (Pitt-PSU, Pitt-WVU, Cuse-PSU, and Cuse-WVU) maybe we can trade off Penn State and WVU with Pitt each season - one plays WVU in odd years the other Penn State in odd years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I really like that set up. Good sensible games for all the ACC & SEC schools. I'm still hoping there's room for early season rivalry games too (Pitt-PSU, Pitt-WVU, Cuse-PSU, and Cuse-WVU) maybe we can trade off Penn State and WVU with Pitt each season - one plays WVU in odd years the other Penn State in odd years.

I think that is too much of a lock with the B1G and Big 12 schools at 9-game conference schedules. This leaves almost no flexibility for scheduling for PSU and WVU. I like the idea but maybe we can make it 4 games in 10 year v. each and Pitt could do the same. Historic rivals all playing but not locking up each others' schedules too much.

I do think the Northern teams should take on the B1G teams like the Southern teams take on the SEC. It should be an unwritten code in the ACC - it's really in the ACCs best interest to do so simply to either confirm or not whether the ACC is a competitive conference that can compete on the same level as the SEC & B1G. We will compete with them mostly in our bowl games, shouldn't we do so in regular season?

I am not saying do this during Rivalry week but more in beginning of year - more 1st thru 3rd week.

I do think the Northern teams should take on the B1G teams like the Southern teams take on the SEC. It should be an unwritten code in the ACC - it's really in the ACCs best interest to do so simply to either confirm or not whether the ACC is a competitive conference that can compete on the same level as the SEC & B1G. We will compete with them mostly in our bowl games, shouldn't we do so in regular season?

I am not saying do this during Rivalry week but more in beginning of year - more 1st thru 3rd week.

It is in the big/power conferences' interest to play each other more so now with a playoff system in place than with the old BCS. Alabama and LSU have a record of playing some good games OOC, but Florida plays nobody other than FSU and occasionally Miami, though good games, this is weak fro a team that wants to be in the NC title hunt.

I prefer Syracuse not to play FCS teams and would rather 1 mid-major and three power conference teams, one or two being big names/recent top 25 annually.

Miami-ND and Pitt-PSU (or even WVU) would sure look nice there.

Whenever ND plays at SoCal, the game is the Saturday after Thanksgiving (and the next year ND hosts SoCal in Oct.). Perhaps ND would like closing each year in a warm weather locale and play at Miami the years it does not close at SoCal. But that would leave Pitt without a Thanksgiving weekend annual foe.

The B1G doesn't allow non-conference games after week 4. The only exception was when they had 11 teams and 1 team would play a 1-AA school during Thanksgiving rivalry week it was typically Wisconsin, but now with an even amount of teams they don't have any problems. Penn State-Pittsburgh will not be a season ending game as a result.

ND finishes the season in California each year playing USC in even years and Stanford in odd years. I could see Pitt-WVU becoming a season ending game, but I doubt the ACC would want Pitt playing WVU unless another ACC besides the 4 SEC-ACC games took place so Miami wouldn't be stuck on a bye week or playing a 1-AA team. Miami doesn't want to continue the South Florida series and doesn't want to legitimize the Bulls now. With NC-NC State and Duke-Wake Forest being cross-over games it leaves Pittsburgh and Miami to play Thanksgiving weekend unless Miami was scheduled to play Boston College as a cross-over game and then the ACC could do Syracuse-Pitt and Miami-Boston College whenever its possible but I think the schedule will be what I suggested unless Miami wanted to continue the USF series which I doubt.

What I was getting at was that every game has a "hook" except for Miami-Pitt (unless they have something special in their history aside from being in the BE at the same time for a while). I guess they could manufacture a Dan Marino Trophy or play for the Big Isotoner Glove .

What I was getting at was that every game has a "hook" except for Miami-Pitt (unless they have something special in their history aside from being in the BE at the same time for a while). I guess they could manufacture a Dan Marino Trophy or play for the Big Isotoner Glove .

The P o r n stache Trophy?

Give us Miami. F BC. No cred if you beat them. Dumped on if you lose to them.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

My disdain for BC has faded over the years. I'd like to see Syracuse vs Rutgers to end the season.

Boston College isn't a no-name program they are top 30 program all-time that made their Greg Robinson hire in Frank Spaziani and destroyed what was a decent program and they hired Steve Addaizo whom I believe we would have hired if he didn't take the Boston College job 1 or 2 weeks later. I have no problem with them being our Thanksgiving rival we have a ton of New England alums who will be able to represent on the road even though it will be Thanksgiving weekend. Miami-Pitt have some history from the Big East I am sure they will develop a good rivalry. I have no interest in playing Rutgers again ever they are a POS chicken bleep operation who has tried to make their transformation from a complete laughingstock in the nation to the very definition of mediocrity and tried to act like they are legitimate national power.

I like BC as the Thanksgiving season ender but understand people who can't travel to Boston being disappointed. The only teams SU could play the last game are BC, Wake, NC State or Pitt and obviously Wake-Duke and North Carolina-NC State make sense. That leaves just two Atlantic teams BC and SU and 2 Coastal teams Miami and Pitt so they each play one another and viola. If we were in the Coastal division it would be BC-Pitt and SU-Miami so if you want Miami and we aren't going to get Miami we would have to switch divisions which isn't happening.

Boston College isn't a no-name program they are top 30 program all-time that made their Greg Robinson hire in Frank Spaziani and destroyed what was a decent program and they hired Steve Addaizo whom I believe we would have hired if he didn't take the Boston College job 1 or 2 weeks later. I have no problem with them being our Thanksgiving rival we have a ton of New England alums who will be able to represent on the road even though it will be Thanksgiving weekend. Miami-Pitt have some history from the Big East I am sure they will develop a good rivalry. I have no interest in playing Rutgers again ever they are a POS chicken bleep operation who has tried to make their transformation from a complete laughingstock in the nation to the very definition of mediocrity and tried to act like they are legitimate national power.

I like BC as the Thanksgiving season ender but understand people who can't travel to Boston being disappointed. The only teams SU could play the last game are BC, Wake, NC State or Pitt and obviously Wake-Duke and North Carolina-NC State make sense. That leaves just two Atlantic teams BC and SU and 2 Coastal teams Miami and Pitt so they each play one another and viola. If we were in the Coastal division it would be BC-Pitt and SU-Miami so if you want Miami and we aren't going to get Miami we would have to switch divisions which isn't happening.

UNC usually plays Duke as the last game rather than NCSU. It's hard to say one way or the other if they'd like to switch; they have factions that would argue either way. Wake has been playing Vandy as the last game lately because each of them doesn't have anyone else. UTenn dropped Vandy as the last game and started playing Kentucky. Now that Kentucky-Louisville will be the last game for them, UTenn could go back to having Vandy as the last game.

UNC usually plays Duke as the last game rather than NCSU. It's hard to say one way or the other if they'd like to switch; they have factions that would argue either way. Wake has been playing Vandy as the last game lately because each of them doesn't have anyone else. UTenn dropped Vandy as the last game and started playing Kentucky. Now that Kentucky-Louisville will be the last game for them, UTenn could go back to having Vandy as the last game.

That was true until a few years ago. I have heard they may switch it back -- it's a lot more interesting when Duke wins every once in a while, especially since the bell looks way better when painted the proper color of blue:
DOXXIOALIOZSXIN.20121021044555-e1351705661579.jpg

NCSt-Wake is a perfectly good rivalry game too.

With Miami-Pitt-Syr-BC, it might be better to not have a fixed rivalry game and mix it up.

From what I have heard and believe Duke doesn't want North Carolina as their season ending game and prefer playing that game in October because they want the students to be at the game when they host and if the game was played during Rivalry week on Thanksgiving weekend most of their students would be at home and lessen their HFA because UNC fans could easily make that game on the road more of a neutral site game. Thus, Duke prefers not to play UNC the last week. However, NC State has reservations about playing UNC the last week because they don't want to run the risk that they would play UNC in the last game and then have a rematch in the ACC Championship game the next week. The ACC has said at their annual meetings they want to have their season ending weekend to be the same matchups each and every year.
Thus we know these matchups are locks.
Florida-Florida State
Clemson-South Carolina
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Kentucky-Louisville
Virginia-Virginia Tech
That leaves North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh
The ACC could do North Carolina-NC State or North Carolina-Duke
Wake Forest-NC State or Wake Forest-Duke that would leave 2 Coastal teams and 2 Atlantic teams Syracuse-Boston College Pittsburgh-Miami

:bat:

That comes off as a bit snooty. I know you know what makes a rivalry. Part of which is about passionately HATING the other team. Like it or not even I can recognize Rutgers is here to stay. Their fans HATE Syracuse with a passion and over the last ten years there are a lot of Syracuse fans (at least around these boards) who HATE them with a passion. The constant over the top back and forth banter around here doesn’t happen with any other fan base except with Rutgers.

Even the Syracuse coaching staff hasn’t been too fond of Rutgers going back over the past 10 years to. It’s a game that mattered to the last 2 regimes and would’ve seriously mattered with Schafer as well.

The vitriol is growing to a level that I frankly haven’t seen at Syracuse in well, forever, with any team for football.

If your forward thinking then this being blown up as a THE rivalry game makes way too much sense. They’re in the Big10, we’re in the ACC. It’s the battle for Gotham, Northeast supremacy, the same recruits etc. It could be a marketing bonanza, and the eyeballs on TV sets could be huge. The Big 10 will try and do that with PennSt/Rutgers. PSU fans will laugh and scoff to until they start getting their asses beat.

To me it’s a no brainer bragging rights rivalry football game. You sure as sh/t are not going to get that kind of interest in our ‘big’ rivalry with Boston College or Pitt. That’s a joke.

Like it or not even I can recognize Rutgers is here to stay.
I doubt it. What happens when RU can't play cup cakes and has to play Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin every year on top of one and a half games against Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska, plus about 3 toss ups and no FCS games? Making bowls is going to get a lot harder for them, and when they can't make bowls consistently, there's too much to do in NJ for anyone to care about RU. That's why RU has been so bad for so long.

I doubt it. What happens when RU can't play cup cakes and has to play Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin every year on top of one and a half games against Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska, plus about 3 toss ups and no FCS games? Making bowls is going to get a lot harder for them, and when they can't make bowls consistently, there's too much to do in NJ for anyone to care about RU. That's why RU has been so bad for so long.

they'll compete and if they dont they'll fire their coach and hire someone who can. its not an unattractive job by any means.

that aside even if they were having a tough go of it we'd still have the opportunity to play them, beat them and put our stamp on the region.

oh and the flip side, what if they dont falter?

It is in the big/power conferences' interest to play each other more so now with a playoff system in place than with the old BCS. Alabama and LSU have a record of playing some good games OOC, but Florida plays nobody other than FSU and occasionally Miami, though good games, this is weak fro a team that wants to be in the NC title hunt.

I prefer Syracuse not to play FCS teams and would rather 1 mid-major and three power conference teams, one or two being big names/recent top 25 annually.

If we don't play one FCS team each year, we are putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage. Everyone else is, and it's one tune-up win each year. Plus it's a guaranteed home game. IMHO, the formula should be: 1 FCS; 1 of Army or Navy; one decent BCS team; one top BCS team. That, along with an ACC schedule is more than sufficient. We dont need to schedule D1 Lite like Buttgers, but We don't need to run the gauntlet either.

they'll compete and if they dont they'll fire their coach and hire someone who can. its not an unattractive job by any means.

that aside even if they were having a tough go of it we'd still have the opportunity to play them, beat them and put our stamp on the region.

oh and the flip side, what if they dont falter?

Rutgers is in the division with Michigan, tOSU, Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana and PSU. That is four regular annual losses. They will play three of Nebraska, Wiscy, Minny, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue. These teams match up well or out-match Rutgers, so there is likely another 2 losses per annum. Rutgers essentially has 6 annual losses built into their schedule. I base this on Rutgers recent play, not historical play. Recall, Rutgers has done nothing significant in a Big East lacking dominant teams (2006 to present). Rutgers wins were racked up against weak teams and they lost to the good teams, the few they played.

Rutgers SOS was weak so their win totals are skewed. Now they will have to play teams that historically are good to great and will have to recruit head to head against several of these teams as well as a resurgent Syracuse, a decent Pitt (I think Pitt keeps moving up with Chryst at the healm), BC who has rid themselves of Spaziani. Basically, Rutgers will enjoy their bounty a little while and return to doormat status unless Flood is a genius. Based on last season's luck based record, his genius is not to be on display.

As for Rutgers being an attractive job, I would respectfully disagree. I see no Power 5 Conference coach leaving their school for Rutgers. Most MAC and maybe even AAC coaches would hold out for a better offer elsewhere. The remaining lower conference coaches would go likely go for the money (which will NOT be top end B1G salary).

I am ambivalent whether we play them. Other than being near NYC, there is no real benefit. We will play in the Meadowlands every other year for a while anyway, there is little benefit in playing Rutgers. Perhaps once the Meadowlands deal is completed.

If we don't play one FCS team each year, we are putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage. Everyone else is, and it's one tune-up win each year. Plus it's a guaranteed home game. IMHO, the formula should be: 1 FCS; 1 of Army or Navy; one decent BCS team; one top BCS team. That, along with an ACC schedule is more than sufficient. We dont need to schedule D1 Lite like Buttgers, but We don't need to run the gauntlet either.

I understand the reasoning, but being able to slam a school for their panzy schedule is more impressive. Even Florida has lost much respect for their failure to play an out of state OOC game. They benefit from being SEC, but that is starting to wear thin as others are scrutinizing the SEC records for quality wins.

If SOS is a real factor in the playoffs, the SEC could really shoot themselves in the foot. Consider, if the selection committee has 1 rep from each conference, the SEC as only 10% and that is hard when 6-8 others gang up on the one. I know this is not the final makeup, but the point remains, other conference reps will do what they can to boost their own teams, whether conscientiously or not. They will do this by digging deeper into opponents and applying real critical analysis. Besides, does anyone really think the ACC, Big 12, B1G and Pac 12 will allow any conference to lock them out if there is any reasonable argument to be made? This could also be the argument for an 8-team playoff (or better yet, 16 teams!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom