Rivalry week for ACC and SEC teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rivalry week for ACC and SEC teams

I understand the reasoning, but being able to slam a school for their panzy schedule is more impressive. Even Florida has lost much respect for their failure to play an out of state OOC game. They benefit from being SEC, but that is starting to wear thin as others are scrutinizing the SEC records for quality wins.

If SOS is a real factor in the playoffs, the SEC could really shoot themselves in the foot. Consider, if the selection committee has 1 rep from each conference, the SEC as only 10% and that is hard when 6-8 others gang up on the one. I know this is not the final makeup, but the point remains, other conference reps will do what they can to boost their own teams, whether conscientiously or not. They will do this by digging deeper into opponents and applying real critical analysis. Besides, does anyone really think the ACC, Big 12, B1G and Pac 12 will allow any conference to lock them out if there is any reasonable argument to be made? This could also be the argument for an 8-team playoff (or better yet, 16 teams!).

You think Florida's run is something, look at how many aq teams Mississippi St has beat since 2000. As crappy as SU has been, we absolutely crush them regarding wins vs major out of conference teams. I guess it's ok to get beat all the time by Bama and LSU and then play a rutgers ooc according to the experts, I mean after all mississippi st does play an sec schedule. It's a buddy of mines pet peeve how they skate through this.

You think Florida's run is something, look at how many aq teams Mississippi St has beat since 2000. As crappy as SU has been, we absolutely crush them regarding wins vs major out of conference teams. I guess it's ok to get beat all the time by Bama and LSU and then play a rutgers ooc according to the experts, I mean after all mississippi st does play an sec schedule. It's a buddy of mines pet peeve how they skate through this.

AGREED! I honestly think this would hurt Mississippi State, if they were in the running for the playoffs. Being that they play Bama and LSU, there is little likelihood that they will be in the layoffs anytime soon. Similar to Rutgers in the B1G, just saying.

AGREED! I honestly think this would hurt Mississippi State, if they were in the running for the playoffs. Being that they play Bama and LSU, there is little likelihood that they will be in the layoffs anytime soon. Similar to Rutgers in the B1G, just saying.

But the thing is it helps Bama and LSU when Miss st wins all 4 of their conference games SOS wise. If miss st plays 2 good teams and goes 2-2 instead of 4-0 it takes away the awesomeness of beating at best an average team and now they are 4-8 and probably worse. There is a reason why the SEC plays only 8 games conference wise and until they do there is no reason in hell why the ACC should go to 9 games.

Rutgers HAS to keep to their wuss ooc schedule of go back to where they once were.

But the thing is it helps Bama and LSU when Miss st wins all 4 of their conference games SOS wise. If miss st plays 2 good teams and goes 2-2 instead of 4-0 it takes away the awesomeness of beating at best an average team and now they are 4-8 and probably worse. There is a reason why the SEC plays only 8 games conference wise and until they do there is no reason in hell why the ACC should go to 9 games.

Rutgers HAS to keep to their wuss ooc schedule of go back to where they once were.

That is where the computers and geeks will help a playoff system. A 2-2 Mississippi State that lost to two big names should not be worse than a 4-0 Mississippi State that plays Panzy U, ala Rutgers.

You are correct about Rutgers. They have to keep their wuss schedule.

That comes off as a bit snooty. I know you know what makes a rivalry. Part of which is about passionately HATING the other team. Like it or not even I can recognize Rutgers is here to stay. Their fans HATE Syracuse with a passion and over the last ten years there are a lot of Syracuse fans (at least around these boards) who HATE them with a passion. The constant over the top back and forth banter around here doesn’t happen with any other fan base except with Rutgers.

Even the Syracuse coaching staff hasn’t been too fond of Rutgers going back over the past 10 years to. It’s a game that mattered to the last 2 regimes and would’ve seriously mattered with Schafer as well.

The vitriol is growing to a level that I frankly haven’t seen at Syracuse in well, forever, with any team for football.

If your forward thinking then this being blown up as a THE rivalry game makes way too much sense. They’re in the Big10, we’re in the ACC. It’s the battle for Gotham, Northeast supremacy, the same recruits etc. It could be a marketing bonanza, and the eyeballs on TV sets could be huge. The Big 10 will try and do that with PennSt/Rutgers. PSU fans will laugh and scoff to until they start getting their asses beat.

To me it’s a no brainer bragging rights rivalry football game. You sure as sh/t are not going to get that kind of interest in our ‘big’ rivalry with Boston College or Pitt. That’s a joke.

It has nothing to do with snoot.

SU has just 4 OOC games every year. I don't want one of them tied up with Rutgers forever.

From what I have heard and believe Duke doesn't want North Carolina as their season ending game and prefer playing that game in October because they want the students to be at the game when they host and if the game was played during Rivalry week on Thanksgiving weekend most of their students would be at home and lessen their HFA because UNC fans could easily make that game on the road more of a neutral site game. Thus, Duke prefers not to play UNC the last week.

This is very true. Duke HC David Cutcliffe has said as much. The game last year was fantastic. UNC went in thinking Duke was a pushover, and, got shocked, 33-30.

However, NC State has reservations about playing UNC the last week because they don't want to run the risk that they would play UNC in the last game and then have a rematch in the ACC Championship game the next week.

I believe State would be more receptive of playing our game as the season finale. The odds that there'd be a rematch in the ACCCG are slim to none 99.9 percent of the time.

The ACC has said at their annual meetings they want to have their season ending weekend to be the same matchups each and every year.
Thus we know these matchups are locks.
Florida-Florida State
Clemson-South Carolina
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Kentucky-Louisville
Virginia-Virginia Tech
That leaves North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh
The ACC could do North Carolina-NC State or North Carolina-Duke
Wake Forest-NC State or Wake Forest-Duke that would leave 2 Coastal teams and 2 Atlantic teams Syracuse-Boston College Pittsburgh-Miami

You are correct that Carolina-Duke and State-Wake would be fine as season enders, but, if push comes to shove, Carolina-State will the season finale for both, IMHO.

That is where the computers and geeks will help a playoff system. A 2-2 Mississippi State that lost to two big names should not be worse than a 4-0 Mississippi State that plays Panzy U, ala Rutgers.

You are correct about Rutgers. They have to keep their wuss schedule.

But...the voters see an SEC Miss St 4-0 and then vote them into the top 25 and they now give the SEC more power in the computer polls. This conference is good at playing the game, no great at playing the voter game and the computers all take into account people voting. I still say SU is screwing themselves by playing 2 big 10 teams.

they'll compete and if they dont they'll fire their coach and hire someone who can. its not an unattractive job by any means.

that aside even if they were having a tough go of it we'd still have the opportunity to play them, beat them and put our stamp on the region.

oh and the flip side, what if they dont falter?
Idk. It's hard to look good facing the teams that they will have to play and anyone who doesn't look good is forgotten in NJ. Quickly off the top of my head, they have to compete with the Yankees, the Mets, the Devils, the Islanders, the Rangers, the Red Bulls, the Nets, the Knicks, Army, UConn, Penn State, Notre Dame, Syracuse, the Giants, the Jets, the Eagles (southern part of the state), the Phillies (southern part of the state), the Fliers (southern part of the state), 76ers (southern part of the state), plus they have to compete with non-sport outlets in NYC and Philly. There's a reason RU was so bad for so long.

And, if they don't falter, then OSU/UM/PSU/Neb/.../Wisc. will get a shiny new coach. Also, the odds of them not faltering are roughly equal to Jim Brown regaining his youth and eligibility.

Idk. It's hard to look good facing the teams that they will have to play and anyone who doesn't look good is forgotten in NJ. Quickly off the top of my head, they have to compete with the Yankees, the Mets, the Devils, the Islanders, the Rangers, the Red Bulls, the Nets, the Knicks, Army, UConn, Penn State, Notre Dame, Syracuse, the Giants, the Jets, the Eagles (southern part of the state), the Phillies (southern part of the state), the Fliers (southern part of the state), 76ers (southern part of the state), plus they have to compete with non-sport outlets in NYC and Philly. There's a reason RU was so bad for so long.

And, if they don't falter, then OSU/UM/PSU/Neb/.../Wisc. will get a shiny new coach. Also, the odds of them not faltering are roughly equal to Jim Brown regaining his youth and eligibility.

You give them odds that good? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom