Roadmap to [potential] relevance? | Syracusefan.com

Roadmap to [potential] relevance?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I'm only paying attention to this because my son is starting as a freshman in the Fall, but look at how the University of Arizona, rarely a major player in the Pac-12 pecking order, has flipped its recruiting script seemingly on a dime.

Despite a 1-11 record, loss to Northern Arizona University, and a 2021 recruiting class without a Top 1000 player, Arizona now owns the #1 overall 2022 recruiting class in the Pac-12 (17th nationally.)

I know there are a million differences between a state school and Syracuse, but can ANY lessons be gleaned from this? They haven't made a coaching change, but they HAVE worked to position some of their former stars more prominently on and around the staff. Tedy Bruschi, for example, is a Senior Advisor who is constantly around the program, and Gronk is also a regular contributor to the program, mostly in Spring for obvious reasons. Beyond that, they also took advantage of some good fortune, bringing in an elite WR from Oregon after Cristobal bailed. They were able to get leverage there because they already had 2 of his teammates in the class.

I know recruits are no guarantee for success, thus the world "potential". Is there anyone here who wouldnt jump at a top 20...heck even top 30 class?

I'm only paying attention to this because my son is starting as a freshman in the Fall, but look at how the University of Arizona, rarely a major player in the Pac-12 pecking order, has flipped its recruiting script seemingly on a dime.

I know there are a million differences between a state school and Syracuse, but can ANY lessons be gleaned from this? They haven't made a coaching change, but they HAVE worked to position some of their former stars more prominently on and around the staff. Tedy Bruschi, for example, is a Senior Advisor who is constantly around the program, and Gronk is also a regular contributor to the program, mostly in Spring for obvious reasons.
In all seriousness, I would look for evidence of a sudden increase in bagmen.

In all seriousness, I would look for evidence of a sudden increase in bagmen.
I mean look, I get $ is the biggest driver here...but I still think that we can look at what other programs are doing and at least try to find legitimate strategies we can learn from. I dunno. Maybe its all the $. But i still am looking

YBl0WS.gif

While too lazy to dig them all out of memory or research them online, we have an impressive list of alumni that have accomplished so much in so many fields. It's now permissible to sponsor our athletes (NIL). If I'm the coaches I'm making that list, checking it twice, thrice, four times and adding on to it constantly. I'd probably start with a list of the alumni in advertising and marketing - which would be incredibly extensive - and finding a way to milk those contacts. That's a well of creativity that might also prove incredibly helpful in terms of recruiting.

I think the Deon Sanders effect is pretty telling. Bringing in an alum in some kind of role, that would have recruiting clout, would definitely help.

My kingDome for Chandler Jones to come back as a Dline coach for SU, when his playing days are over.

Of course, this means, we would have to dole out the cash... but it seems as though, we've started to loosen the purse strings with Anae and Beck. Shout out to JW for deviating from the thrift shop mentality SU has had for so many years.

This is probably a VERY stupid question I will be laughed at but...where does endowment size come into play here? At all? Does the size of the endowment have anything to do with what we can pay coaches or what we can do for facilities? I only ask because Syracuse has a $1.8B endowment to U of AZs $1.2B.

This is probably a VERY stupid question I will be laughed at but...where does endowment size come into play here? At all? Does the size of the endowment have anything to do with what we can pay coaches or what we can do for facilities? I only ask because Syracuse has a $1.8B endowment to U of AZs $1.2B.

time house GIF

University endowment CAN NOT be used to fund athletics. Full stop.

Generally speaking, all those coach bonuses and perks, facilities, etc. - get paid for by boosters and/or fundraising.

Unless you are SUNJ, in which case you bilk the students AND the state AND run up a massive deficit to do it.

I know there are a million differences between a state school and Syracuse, but can ANY lessons be gleaned from this? They haven't made a coaching change, but they HAVE worked to position some of their former stars more prominently on and around the staff. Tedy Bruschi, for example, is a Senior Advisor who is constantly around the program, and Gronk is also a regular contributor to the program, mostly in Spring for obvious reasons. Beyond that, they also took advantage of some good fortune, bringing in an elite WR from Oregon after Cristobal bailed. They were able to get leverage there because they already had 2 of his teammates in the class.
Bad year for Pac 12 recruiting also. Stanford is the hightest ranked and they are only 17th. Arizona is 20th. I think a lot of teams are holding spots for transfers. Pac 12 has 6 teams with 12 commits or lower and these are from traditionally good teams like Oregon Washington, USC, UCLA Arizona st. That is not typical. .
Im not going to dicredit Arizona efforts though. They are obviously selling prospects the right thing. Sometimes a new staff comes in and express a different message and vision that creates interest. Some kids buy in prior to wins but they will eventually turn away if they continue to lose. Some how they were able to get some 4 stars. all from CA. They might have an ace recruiter that is connected to the California HS scene. Thats equivalent to us having a guy connected to NJ and landing a few 4 stars from there. The difference is CA is a bigger state with more 4 star prospects to choose from. CA has 30, NJ only has 4.

They've always had the state of California located in close proximity so imo (bagman aside) it comes down to the recruiters. They're getting it done.

Babers would be wise to hire a WR coach dialed into one of 4 states. NJ, Pennsylvania (Philly specifically), Florida (58 - 4 and 5 star kids), or Georgia (36 - 4 and 5 star kids). Both southern states in our conference footprint. Fringe state would be NC.

Generally speaking, all those coach bonuses and perks, facilities, etc. - get paid for by boosters and/or fundraising.

Unless you are SUNJ, in which case you bilk the students AND the state AND run up a massive deficit to do it.

Again, educate me here. Is that a legal issue? Is that in the University charter? This isn't something I have ever studied before.

Again, educate me here. Is that a legal issue? Is that in the University charter? This isn't something I have ever studied before.
The endowment has been discussed in the forums several times, so take what I say and then do a search here. The first misunderstanding about the endowment is that it is akin to a bank account where SU draws funds for projects, scholarships, etc. The main use of the endowment, as I understand it, is to generate investment income that is used by SU for facilities and scholarships, grants, etc. In certain instances, they use the endowment for large-scale projects to cover shortfalls for necessary things, as deemed by the BOT.
I will end there and let others, who are much better educated on the subject, correct me or fill in more blanks.

I thought SU was going to dip into the endowment to partially pay for the Dome reno? I'm sure they are hopefully all the money raised is outside the university but I thought the endowment was a backup plan. #large capital project

time house GIF

thats not really true.. it can be used for funding buildings and mainteniance and stuff.. it can even fund coaching if they work it right.. But they have to endow it before the fact not after. and endowment money also means other money can be freed up for use in athletics.

So you're saying that it's not the size of your endowment, it's how you use it? :p