Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today

So actually MAKING shots is irrelevant? I'll use an analogy: let's say Julio Jones is facing the Seahawks and is guarded by Sherman all game. Jones burns Sherman a few times but drops two TD catches. Did Jones have a good game? Should he get credit for getting open against a great corner? Or would the story be the drops?

Your lack of basic COMMON SENSE is unbelievable.
I agree with you that Rak not making the shots hurts him, but he's shown all season he can make those shots and has been doing just that. He had a bad game but it happens, and honestly I don't think that Okafor on defense is Anthony Davis, Rak was making good moves but just couldn't finish. I think this is more of an outlier than the norm for Rak and honestly scouts know this, whether he had a great game or a mediocre game like he had, he's likely going to be a late first or second round pick.

This was a big one. Hurt his stock on a huge way. Can't overlook his weaknesses tonight.
I love Rak and he's one of my favorite players, but I really don't understand, did people here all of a sudden think Rak was going to be a lottery pick and now because of this game will be a second rounder or go undrafted. His stock at best is as a late first rounder. Any team that has decent scouts will know that they are getting a solid bench big who can come in and give you some points and provide some rim protection. This game does not change that fact.

kjb120 said:
I love Rak and he's one of my favorite players, but I really don't understand, did people here all of a sudden think Rak was going to be a lottery pick and now because of this game will be a second rounder or go undrafted. His stock at best is as a late first rounder. Any team that has decent scouts will know that they are getting a solid bench big who can come in and give you some points and provide some rim protection. This game does not change that fact.

But he needed to play well for us to win the game.

He didn't.

But he needed to play well for us to win the game.

He didn't.
This is very obvious and I agree with you, but what does that have to do with his draft status and the cash he burned which is what this thread is about? If his and okafors stat lines were swapped Okafor would still be the first pick and Rak would still at best be a fringe first rounder.

He missed a ton of shots, but man he gets no calls at all. Okafor is the #1 pick and I don't think Rak looked out of place out there against him. He's a late 1st rd pick at best, but no one can deny that his play his season has helped his NBA chances.

Every player has games where the shots just don't fall. His jumper, his driving basket, his rebounding and defense made him money today. If he hits his normal percentage, SU wins and he is the talk of ESPN tonight. Just one of those games.

So actually MAKING shots is irrelevant? I'll use an analogy: let's say Julio Jones is facing the Seahawks and is guarded by Sherman all game. Jones burns Sherman a few times but drops two TD catches. Did Jones have a good game? Should he get credit for getting open against a great corner? Or would the story be the drops?

Your lack of basic COMMON SENSE is unbelievable.
Not even close to the same. Big time basketball player miss in the neighborhood of 50% of ALL shots.

Though I can't prove it, I'd bet NFL wide receivers drop less than 10% of all passes when considered "wide open."

The reason hoops players miss 50% of shots is because very few shots taken are ever "wide open" and uncontested.

I saw at least three of Rak's misses where he was literally assaulted in the act. If those three fall, his stat line is WAY different.

They didn't fall, but those scouts in attendance to evaluate his play saw that Rak got his shot off and was fouled often - even if the fouls weren't called.

And he definitely was on the overmatched team where he was a focal point of a collapsing defense with seemingly every touch - hence the five assists.

He was never gonna replace Okafor as the #1 or #2 pick anyway, but he definitely didn't embarrass himself like many of you foolishly believe

Some good thoughts in here. It's necessary to add that Christmas gets another chance against Okafor in two weeks. He'll have no shortage of motivation for that one. We should revisit this thread then.

That said, tonight our best player had a bad game. All the misses were bad, but his ineffectiveness elsewhere was equally disappointing. It's a problem when Christmas gets pushed out to 15 feet, can't seal his defender in his preferred shot, and spends so much time spectating (though this did help Roberson find some space).

So was this a case of Christmas having a bad game? Or was it similar to all those 2008 and 2009 games in which Onuaku would be playing like an all-league guy only to get his lunch money taken by Greg Monroe or Hasheem Thabeet? We'll know a little more about this in two weeks. For tonight, though, Christmas didn't impress anyone.

Jeez! Isn't it common sense? He missed an opportunity today. As others have said, he'll have a couple more chances to show his stuff. Anybody who matters will be waiting, watching, and will judge his body of work. Meanwhile, don't overreact like you work for ESPN or something.

Jeez! Isn't it common sense? He missed an opportunity today. As others have said, he'll have a couple more chances to show his stuff. Anybody who matters will be waiting, watching, and will judge his body of work. Meanwhile, don't overreact like you work for ESPN or something.

I agree...that's why I said he has three weeks to bounce back...but today was a subpar performance against a great center on a huge stage...it was a huge missed opportunity and it hurt his stock.

He short armed everything today, however he actually looked really good in catching, turning, and making his moves. Just didnt finish today. It could have been anyone defending him, he was just off.

I thought he looked more athletic and quicker to the ball than Okafor. Okafor scored half his shots on plays where Rak had to stop ball because another guy's man took him.

iommi said:
I agree...that's why I said he has three weeks to bounce back...but today was a subpar performance against a great center on a huge stage...it was a huge missed opportunity and it hurt his stock.
He's made huge strides but he's not a middle road kind of guy. When he's great he's great, when he's not he's horrible.

4 or 5 of them bunnies drop, and you be singing a different tune. Okafor got more of his points in transition or on put backs then he did in the post against Rak. Rak got the shots he wanted all game, just rimmed out a bunch of them or hit on the arm for some. Add his 5 blocks and five assists and he had a decent game vs the supposed number one pick of the upcoming draft.

Yeah, I think the numbers are deceptive. I can only think of twice where Okafor took Rak on and got an easy shot off.

In the first half it was 7-3 to Okafor. Rak showed a much better ability to read the defense and create for others. Okafor got turned over multiple times in the second half because he couldn't read the help defense. Rak was getting assists in those situations.

Rak was protecting the rim better. Okafor rebounded better.

Okafor had so many open dunks though early in the second half because of the penetration and a couple breakaways that the numbers look out of control. Saying he dominated though because of THAT evaluation is akin to saying Rak dominated Okafor in crunch time. (I mean, we all saw what was happening in crunch time with those uncontested dunks by Rak)

One guy got a lot of the same shots he always does and hit at about the same clip. The other got a lot of the same looks, and didn't. Rak looked nervous - not good on him, but whatever. He did take a few a little deeper than usual, but overall missed a ton he normally hits. It's tough too because once Rak hits two fouls - he's done on defense for long stretches. I was amazed Okafor finished that first half with 7 points.

Okafor is a way better post player than Rak. End of story. But it wasn't quite the dominant performance I think some are thinking they saw based upon the respective stat lines.

Last edited:
kjb120 said:
This is very obvious and I agree with you, but what does that have to do with his draft status and the cash he burned which is what this thread is about? If his and okafors stat lines were swapped Okafor would still be the first pick and Rak would still at best be a fringe first rounder.

Disagree. Sort of. He could elevated his draft status, but he blew it.

lol. If RC isn't drafted in the 1st round it won't be because of his age. That's foolish.
I know what point you are making. I'm not being foolish. If he were 19 and had the season stats he has now, he would be projected much higher. That is all I am trying to say.

Never mind Okafor, he had a tough enough time against Matthew/Martin/Milhouse/Millard/Montague Plumlee.

Weak, weak sauce from Rak tonight. I expected much better.

Can't believe the lack of basketball knowledge in this thread. Rak SHOT terrible. SHOT. He actually got any shot he wanted against Okafor. Scouts see that. Internet board posters don't.

Okafor established position against Rak pretty much at will. Rak, not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom