Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today

He missed them because he was too far from the basket. Okafor and Plumlee made sure he was.

There were some like that, but there were definitely a few, especialy in the second half, where he was right at his spot and just couldn't make them

I said 3 weeks ago that the Christmas bandwagon was getting a bit too crowded and that we'd find out more in February when he faced better competition. That said, yeah you're being hyperbolic. If 3 or 4 of those shots fall then his performance is seen in a different light. My problem with RC is on the defensive end where I think he would get mauled in the NBA. He's a decent shot blocker but when quality big men take it to him they have an alarming degree of success.

He has about 2 fouls to give a game and cannot challenge much due to not having a backup. That won't be an issue in the NBA.

So actually MAKING shots is irrelevant? I'll use an analogy: let's say Julio Jones is facing the Seahawks and is guarded by Sherman all game. Jones burns Sherman a few times but drops two TD catches. Did Jones have a good game? Should he get credit for getting open against a great corner? Or would the story be the drops?

Your lack of basic COMMON SENSE is unbelievable.

Sometimes the ball doesn't drop. He was able to get the looks - and he'll go the league to play defense - at SU he cannot give fouls.

A number one receiver catching a pass and a basketball player making shots is so apples and oranges it isn't funny.

I'd like to offer this perspective: these kids, including Christmas, have been playing basketball a long time and the scouts have been watching them...a long time. They have good games & bad games in a complex mix of talent, conditioning, opponent, and team balance. The kids get it, the scouts get it, the coaches get it, and we should let them...and enjoy those that had a good outing. Gbinije was the best player on the floor and put on a good demonstration for a team he badly wanted to be part of at one time. Kudos to him for a good night against his former team. He deserves to revel in that a bit...

A ton of eyes on this game. Scouts watching the Okafor- Christmas matchup very closely. What happened? Roc got outplayed from pillar to post by Okafor, who totally dominated Christmas. Roc missed at least 8 very easy shots and frankly, looked rattled. Okafor, after a slow start, settled in and put up huge numbers. It was a clinic. Okafor showed no fear and showed superior footwork, patience and fortitude. Roc played too fast and may have been trying to do too much. It was his second bad game in a row too.

I think Roc's stock plummeted today. Yes, it was just one game but our schedule has been terrible and the first time Roc plays a big time center, he looks like a flummoxed freshman out there. It's a damn shame too because Roc has carried this team on his back all year and has been an absolute warrior.

I don't think its hyperbolic to say Roc may have dropped out of the first round after today. He has three weeks or so to bounce back and show what he can do but make no mistake about it: today was not a good look.

he was never in the first round. 2nd round at best all year

It was one damn game. Scouts are smarter than many of you, apparently. He has played against better defensive centers on multiple occasions and put up big numbers. Good thing scouts don't go by single games or James Harden would not have been drafted. Remember the clinker he has against SU? Didn't seem to hurt his stock much.

I find this discussion really interesting. I agree that Rak did have some good shots that barely rimmed out etc. But last year the very same thing happened yet many claimed he wasn't good enough or those were bad shots. Definitely think we should have gone to him more last season.

Can't believe the lack of basketball knowledge in this thread. Rak SHOT terrible. SHOT. He actually got any shot he wanted against Okafor. Scouts see that. Internet board posters don't.

This is sort of right, but sort of not... the bigger thing here is that Rak was matched up against a legitimate NBA player with legitimate NBA size and he struggled. I'm not sure he can play center in the NBA because he's not big enough. Hopefully he can transition to PF.

TinyManInside said:
This is sort of right, but sort of not... the bigger thing here is that Rak was matched up against a legitimate NBA player with legitimate NBA size and he struggled. I'm not sure he can play center in the NBA because he's not big enough. Hopefully he can transition to PF.

Watching him lately it's become clear to me that the transition to power forward is going to be difficult. He's going to have to work on a number of things. But if he can do that as well as he transformed his game over the last year, anything is possible. But something tells me this is going to be tougher.

lot of hoops left for him including a rematch-- i wouldn't write him off yet

Teams have learned how to defend him. Push him 5 feet further from the basket and he becomes ineffective.
Thank you, Captain Obvious. That is how you defend every center in the history of the sport. That's why the "key" became the lane during the heyday of George Mikan, and why it was further widened during the Chamberlain/Jabaar era. (Not that the refs are wont to call 3 seconds.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom