Ron Patterson | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Patterson

Then what? Neither of these players makes or breaks us. If we don't land either of them, then we'll land someone of equal talent next year. Which is why I don't resonate with the "bird in the hand" philosophy when it comes to hoop recruiting. We are recruiting like gangbusters right now; we're in a great position, because Jordan and Patterson are more 'nices-to-have' than 'need-to-have.'

I think that the main concern is about replenishing depth in the backcourt--specifically at point guard. Triche is gone after this year. MCW may or may not be leaving early [not suggesting that he will, just that it is a possibility]. If both depart, then we'll be facing a situation where Ennis is the lone PG on the roster.

But at 2, we'll have Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije--which is why a player like Patterson, while he would make a great addition, might be less of a priority than a player like Jordan who projects as a 1 and would fill a bigger team need.

Please note that I wouldn't have an issue with landing either player, neither of them, or however it works out. I just don't view Patterson as a priority / 1 in the hand situation AT ALL. He sounds like a great player who might fall into our lap due to some unfortunate circumstances at Indiana. If so, I'd love to welcome him aboard, and I'm sure he'd be great at SU. But IMO a bigger priority needs to be building depth at PG behind Ennis.

And of course, all of that changes if MCW stays, since then we'd have two PGs next year. And even if MCW goes and we land Patterson, we could always go after a PG next year, too!

Actually, having a dribble-drive guy is something we need. Ennis is kind of slow, more of an outside shooter and crisp passer type. Cooney and Silent G don't project as that type of guy, either. This fills a need. So long as we get Briscoe, we don't necessarily need another PG right away. I know it's only 1 game, but I don't think MCW is turning pro after this season. He's got a ways to go. I think he'll need another year to really become an elite player.

Actually, having a dribble-drive guy is something we need. Ennis is kind of slow, more of an outside shooter and crisp passer type. Cooney and Silent G don't project as that type of guy, either. This fills a need. So long as we get Briscoe, we don't necessarily need another PG right away. I know it's only 1 game, but I don't think MCW is turning pro after this season. He's got a ways to go. I think he'll need another year to really become an elite player.

I don't see how you could think MCW has "a ways to go" before being able to go pro. I walked out of the dome Thursday thinking theres no way hes coming back.

Just a thought
Ron Patterson should walk around campus doing these 24/7.
Can you imaine him keeping his arms up in game 24/7. If he ever builds the lateral quickness on top of it hes going to be a awesome defender to watch someday.

Gmac needs to shadow him everywhere he goes and scare him into not putting his arms down.

Last edited:
Just a thought
Ron Patterson should walk around campus doing these 24/7.
Can you imaine him keeping his arms up in game 24/7. If he ever builds the lateral quickness on top of it hes going to be a awesome defender to watch someday.

Gmac needs to shadow him everywhere he goes and scare him into not putting his arms down.
what page was this thread on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom